OP
OP
Toycrusher

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I don't know which version I have, but I abuse it weekly and after busting spider gears the clutch still seems to shift well after I give it a week to settle down. To the the people that are getting the update
versions for free. How do I do that?
There were only a few of us who had the factory transmission misalignment. 3rd gen has the necessary play to accommodate. CF wants to be sure their clutch works for everyone
Sponsored

OBJLU

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
So I finally got my 3rd gen Centerforce clutch installed this weekend. It's AWESOME!

Hopefully they become available for sale soon, the applied torque of the heavier flywheel and linear activation is a bigger improvement in performance and driveability than any supercharger or nitrous injection could be

I am still bitterly angry at the FCA engineer who designed the fuel line and wiring harness bracket to attach to the top two bellhousing bolt studs. As punishment he should be forced to remove and install those bolts and brackets once a day for a year at least.

Work went smoothly being on a lift... EXCEPT... I could only fit a two post lift with a floor plate in my garage. It's not big deal driving over the hump protecting the cables and hoses, but it just so happens to be perfectly in the way of my transmission jack. I fought two hours trying to get my transmission to snug up the last 3". I'm simply not tough enough to man handle the transmission/t-case combo over my head and into position. I finally resorted to using clamps to slowly wiggle and slide the transmission into place. I'm not proud of it, but sometimes you have to do what you have to do.
How is it when crawling?

OllieChristopher

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 GMC 2WD Sierra, 4.3, NV3500, 3:73/TruTrac
With a two post lift and a helper, you could be in and out in 4 hours or less. Working solo in your driveway, count on 8+ hours the first time and 5-6 to do it again.
Yikes that is a long time to replace a clutch!! Your attention to detail was outstanding though and worth the extra time and effort. Centerforce Clutches are an outstanding improvement over OEM. I had one installed in my truck and it shifts like butter.

OP
OP
Toycrusher

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
How is it when crawling?
I'm still running the original CF heavy weighted flywheel and it's phenomenal for crawling. My 3.6 feel like a diesel, tugging at the leash at idle. I've used it to pull some stumps and in 4-lo, traction is always the issue, even with my 37s. I can let the clutch out, and when I run out of strap it will just keep rotating all 4 tires, making my Jeep bunny-hop as it tries to get traction.

I have to drive at least 7 hours to find any decent wheeling with elevation changes so I haven't been on a "designated" trail since COVID hit but I'm hoping to change that this coming spring

OP
OP
Toycrusher

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Yikes that is a long time to replace a clutch!! Your attention to detail was outstanding though and worth the extra time and effort. Centerforce Clutches are an outstanding improvement over OEM. I had one installed in my truck and it shifts like butter.
Thanks. Reflecting back, now that I've done it twice on the floor and once on a lift, if I had to do it again, I'd probably take the time to pull the inner fender liners and battery. Just might give better access to some of the really really irritating pieces of the job.

Sponsored

OllieChristopher

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks. Reflecting back, now that I've done it twice on the floor and once on a lift, if I had to do it again, I'd probably take the time to pull the inner fender liners and battery. Just might give better access to some of the really really irritating pieces of the job.
I hear you there!! I'm at the age that I have someone do that kind of work. But sure in hell not a dealer!! At least you know it's done right. You got the good oil insensitive Loctite and very detailed and methodic install. Good on you my man!!

It looks like a JL clutch service is a bit more detailed than something like my NV3500 in my pickup.

I feel so very lucky that I have a local AAA approved facility that does really good work. In fact I have already asked them about a few vehicles I was considering. When I mentioned a Wrangler, my technician assured me they are pretty damn reliable. They even have the modern Chrysler diagnostic software for repairs.

OBJLU

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
I'm still running the original CF heavy weighted flywheel and it's phenomenal for crawling. My 3.6 feel like a diesel, tugging at the leash at idle. I've used it to pull some stumps and in 4-lo, traction is always the issue, even with my 37s. I can let the clutch out, and when I run out of strap it will just keep rotating all 4 tires, making my Jeep bunny-hop as it tries to get traction.

I have to drive at least 7 hours to find any decent wheeling with elevation changes so I haven't been on a "designated" trail since COVID hit but I'm hoping to change that this coming spring
That’s awesome! Seems like it would even make second gear more usable for technical obstacles. Sounds like you are running the OEM clutch and the Centerforce flywheel correct?

This is definitely on my list for next year then.

OP
OP
Toycrusher

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
That’s awesome! Seems like it would even make second gear more usable for technical obstacles. Sounds like you are running the OEM clutch and the Centerforce flywheel correct?

This is definitely on my list for next year then.
Technically it's CF clutch too (OE and CF not compatible). They made a couple changes to it since the JL first came out, and it's dialed in nicely now.

And yes, all the gears are more useful now

OBJLU

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Technically it's CF clutch too (OE and CF not compatible). They made a couple changes to it since the JL first came out, and it's dialed in nicely now.

And yes, all the gears are more useful now
Right on, I’ll be placing an order as soon as they allow it.

What clutch disk did you go with?

OP
OP
Toycrusher

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Right on, I’ll be placing an order as soon as they allow it.

What clutch disk did you go with?
I'm running the dual friction. It's has great progressive engagement. I don't know why they offer two, I can't see why anyone would possibly not want this one and it's not like there is a price difference anyway.

Sponsored

GreySportySpice

First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' JL Sport 6MT, 21' Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
@Toycrusher if you don't mind me asking what has this process cost you Monetarily? Besides the initial cost of the clutch are you in it for the 2nd and 3rd gen replacements?

OP
OP
Toycrusher

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
@Toycrusher if you don't mind me asking what has this process cost you Monetarily? Besides the initial cost of the clutch are you in it for the 2nd and 3rd gen replacements?
CF sent me the 2nd and 3rd gen clutches no charge. We found out that factory motor-transmission alignment is super sloppy and a small number of individuals (I was one of them) owned Jeeps with really bad misalignment. The redesigned clutches tolerate the misalignment that the original didn't.

I did the installs myself so no significant cost to me

OllieChristopher

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm running the dual friction. It's has great progressive engagement. I don't know why they offer two, I can't see why anyone would possibly not want this one and it's not like there is a price difference anyway.
I have the HD series on my truck. I'm not sure how well the dual friction will hold up to as in the off road and heavy towing that I do. I can only say It's worked to very well and no clutch slippage or chattering when towing heavy loads.

I imagine the Dual Friction is pretty good for a light application like the JL.

Willing&Able

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Clubs

Hey Toy - how is it running? Shifts smooth? I called CF as mine continues to degrade. They basically said I'm stuck until something new comes out this May. Even that sounded suspect as it doesn't sound like a new clutch, but a new master cylinder.... Pretty disappointed that I've spent 1000's of CF for something that doesn't work correctly and my only options are to wait several more months or go back to OEM..

OP
OP
Toycrusher

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Hey Toy - how is it running? Shifts smooth? I called CF as mine continues to degrade. They basically said I'm stuck until something new comes out this May. Even that sounded suspect as it doesn't sound like a new clutch, but a new master cylinder.... Pretty disappointed that I've spent 1000's of CF for something that doesn't work correctly and my only options are to wait several more months or go back to OEM..
It's been working great, well, until the hydraulics heat soak. At that point it loses some pressure and there is a little resistance going into 1st, but still very manageable, nothing like before. They have been working hard on an upgrade to the stock hydraulic system and hopefully will have it out soon. It will most likely be a big improvement even to those with a stock clutch.
Sponsored