Sponsored

DIY Centerforce flywheel and clutch install

WreckEm711

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Sport 6 speed
Just a heads up for anyone thinking about purchasing this clutch, me and some other members are still having issues with the revised clutch. At times it's next to near impossible to be able to shift into reverse or 1st from a cold start. The temporary fix is to rev up to 3k, clutch in, then shift. Thanks to this forum I am able to at least shift into gear from a dead stop.
Dang, hope they get that sorted out soon, wouldn't mind upgrading one day for the heavier flywheel.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Toycrusher

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Just a heads up for anyone thinking about purchasing this clutch, me and some other members are still having issues with the revised clutch. At times it's next to near impossible to be able to shift into reverse or 1st from a cold start. The temporary fix is to rev up to 3k, clutch in, then shift. Thanks to this forum I am able to at least shift into gear from a dead stop.
I am one of these. To be fair, it's unclear where the issue lies. It's quite likely that the stock hydraulics are wimpy, unable to fully release the stock pressure plate. This could also be the underlying condition resulting in the failures of the stock units and the recalls.

It's also possible the fact that FCA did not design a pilot bearing or bushing into the system is a contributing factor. The symptoms are the same as a vehicle with a bad pilot bearing.
" Early signs of the pilot failing may be noise whenever the clutch is disengaged. The driver may also notice that the transmission is difficult to shift between gears or hard to put into reverse or first gear when stopped. "

Finally, Centerforce is hard at work developing a replacement for the entire stock clutch hydraulic system, which would probably be a big improvement even if you were running an original clutch.

Mandalorian

First Name
MANDALORIAN
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU SPORT
Clubs

Sorry to hear that. I ordered this clutch over 30 days ago and it still hasn't shipped. What do you think about just going back to an OEM clutch? I burnt my clutch up so I'm purchasing a new one either way, but may cancel the centerforce due to the issues they are having just shipping it out

OP
OP
Toycrusher

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Sorry to hear that. I ordered this clutch over 30 days ago and it still hasn't shipped. What do you think about just going back to an OEM clutch? I burnt my clutch up so I'm purchasing a new one either way, but may cancel the centerforce due to the issues they are having just shipping it out
I realize you aren't asking me, but...

The heavy flywheel is amazing. Maybe my original clutch was particularly bad, but it's a fantastic driving experience with the CF setup. My shifting difficulty didn't appear until after 10 or 15,000 miles. For all intents and purposes, it seems to be caused by input shaft play as a result of not having a pilot bearing supporting it. Not many have reported this same issue myself and HeavyUser are experiencing, so your results may be just fine.

Mandalorian

First Name
MANDALORIAN
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU SPORT
Clubs

I realize you aren't asking me, but...

The heavy flywheel is amazing. Maybe my original clutch was particularly bad, but it's a fantastic driving experience with the CF setup. My shifting difficulty didn't appear until after 10 or 15,000 miles. For all intents and purposes, it seems to be caused by input shaft play as a result of not having a pilot bearing supporting it. Not many have reported this same issue myself and HeavyUser are experiencing, so your results may be just fine.
It was a question for all.

Do you have the "revised" clutch they put out March 1st? I thought I read somewhere they made some changes and released that clutch March 1st

Sponsored

OP
OP
Toycrusher

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
It was a question for all.

Do you have the "revised" clutch they put out March 1st? I thought I read somewhere they made some changes and released that clutch March 1st
Yes I do. I had no problems with the original clutch and the revised one works just as well. The lack of pilot bearing may have put excess wear on my input shaft bearing and caused the shifting difficulty i'm experiencing. Lots of conjecture at this point.

HeavyUser

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Basically everything ToyCrusher has said I agree with.

I love the clutch on the trails and on the street, I'm just tired of all the problems. I thought removing FCA parts would have meant less issues but my result was more issues. I have thought about going back to stock and I have also toyed around with the idea of trying out South Bend's Clutch. Right now I'm not doing anything until this shifting issue is hopefully figured out.

Mandalorian

First Name
MANDALORIAN
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU SPORT
Clubs

Basically everything ToyCrusher has said I agree with.

I love the clutch on the trails and on the street, I'm just tired of all the problems. I thought removing FCA parts would have meant less issues but my result was more issues. I have thought about going back to stock and I have also toyed around with the idea of trying out South Bend's Clutch. Right now I'm not doing anything until this shifting issue is hopefully figured out.
I didn't realize there was a South Bend clutch for a JL. Do you have a link? A quick Google search didn't bring anything up.

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
I didn't realize there was a South Bend clutch for a JL. Do you have a link? A quick Google search didn't bring anything up.
Check out this page - click on “learn about stages”

https://www.southbendclutch.com/clutches/13157/

The stage 2 looks perfect for a DD. If I had an extra couple of grand to blow and was worried about the stock config, I’d be tempted... I’m very happy with my stock setup, though.

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2019 KL, 2020 JT
Here's a picture of an OEM flywheel. It looks like it has a bearing in the center that holds the end of the transmission input shaft in place instead of using a pilot bearing. I don't see anything equivalent with the Center Force flywheel.
jl new pressure plate.jpg
It's not a bearing. Not even a bushing as the input shaft doesn't ride on it. It must be for the factory alignment tool I guess
Maybe the factory fly wheel is supporting the input shaft after all.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Toycrusher

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Maybe the factory fly wheel is supporting the input shaft after all.
It isn't. The input shaft does not even have a nose to be supported by a bearing or bushing. Any solution would involve not only the addition of a pilot bearing to the crankshaft, but also a teardown of the transmission to replace the input shaft

20210307_135029.jpg

HeavyUser

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
It isn't. The input shaft does not even have a nose to be supported by a bearing or bushing. Any solution would involve not only the addition of a pilot bearing to the crankshaft, but also a teardown of the transmission to replace the input shaft
I so hope you're wrong about the input shaft needing to be replaced to fix this shifting issue.... :/

Willing&Able

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 392 20th Anniversary
Clubs

For what it's worth, I've had the new clutch for about two weeks and no issues so far. Very much babying it, so no 4L offroad tests yet...

ALRUI

First Name
Arnold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara, 2003 F150 S-Crew FX4, Others
Are there any other vehicles that have a similar set-up I.E. no pilot bearing nor input shaft tht extends into the bearing thus being supported by the crankshaft? Seems bizarre to me, I've done my share of clutches/transmission rebuilds and have never seen this! The input shaft bearing must be extremely robust in these transmissions, or?
Sponsored