DIY Centerforce flywheel and clutch install

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2019 KL, 2020 JT
If your transmission input shaft does not engage the pilot bearing, what is supporting the end of the input shaft? Is it just free floating? I found a picture of the original flywheel and it looks like it has a bearing that supports the end of the input shaft. Can you check your original flywheel to see if it supported the end of the input shaft?
Here's a picture of an OEM flywheel. It looks like it has a bearing in the center that holds the end of the transmission input shaft in place instead of using a pilot bearing. I don't see anything equivalent with the Center Force flywheel.
Jeep Wrangler JL DIY Centerforce flywheel and clutch install jl new pressure plate
Sponsored

OP
OP
Toycrusher

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I'll check mine to see if it's a bushing or bearing

Hydroboy35th

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
Here's a picture of an OEM flywheel. It looks like it has a bearing in the center that holds the end of the transmission input shaft in place instead of using a pilot bearing. I don't see anything equivalent with the Center Force flywheel.
Jeep Wrangler JL DIY Centerforce flywheel and clutch install jl new pressure plate
Jeep Wrangler JL DIY Centerforce flywheel and clutch install 4267C747-1C8C-4813-BB28-42CD9F28C924

Hydroboy35th

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
I was going to start my own thread on my centerforce clutch but I’ll just contribute to this one instead especially since toycrusher helped me out and answered the numerous questions I had haha ( shoutout to @Toycrusher ) First thing is if you have a 2 door dropping the fuel tank is not necessary. The 2nd thing is, to make dropping the cross member easy put a floor jack under the transmission, take all the bolts out of the crossmember and lower the jack (slowly) it will push the crossmember out. Third thing to make this process a little easier it to buy a flywheel tool it makes torquing the flywheel/pressure plate bolts off a lot easier. Also having a helper is a big plus for the transmission removal/install and for putting bolts in the flywheel why you hold it in place.

Here’s a couple pictures of the flywheel tool I used.

Jeep Wrangler JL DIY Centerforce flywheel and clutch install FD080F97-EB83-4873-9163-7C1632FF2C7D
Jeep Wrangler JL DIY Centerforce flywheel and clutch install 0F320CD8-EBDF-4A69-9BAB-8C4F5C8222FB

OP
OP
Toycrusher

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Jeep Wrangler JL DIY Centerforce flywheel and clutch install 0F320CD8-EBDF-4A69-9BAB-8C4F5C8222FB
It's not a bearing. Not even a bushing as the input shaft doesn't ride on it. It must be for the factory alignment tool I guess

Sponsored

First Name
Brian-Benjamin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 6SPEED
Jeep Wrangler JL DIY Centerforce flywheel and clutch install 1609795801256

Has anyone else received this and is anyone experiencing issues with theirs? If so which clutch do you have the dual friction or non dual friction? Thanks guys

ALRUI

First Name
Arnold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara, 2003 F150 S-Crew FX4, Others
Good to see a company thats proactive in regards to quality! Being a customer service analyst I only wish the company I work for was anywhere near as proactive as these guys just showed they are!

Mandalorian

First Name
MANDALORIAN
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU SPORT
Clubs

Great install list to work by. Thanks. I'll be installing this same clutch next weekend.

What size clutch alignment tool are you guys using? Google is not pulling up anything and every where I've looked to order an alignment tool from is saying it doesn't fit my vehicle. I thought as long as input shaft diameter and spline count matched it would be good. Just wanted to make sure before ordering.

OP
OP
Toycrusher

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Great install list to work by. Thanks. I'll be installing this same clutch next weekend.

What size clutch alignment tool are you guys using? Google is not pulling up anything and every where I've looked to order an alignment tool from is saying it doesn't fit my vehicle. I thought as long as input shaft diameter and spline count matched it would be good. Just wanted to make sure before ordering.
They include the alignment tool

HeavyUser

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL

The clutch should come with an alignment tool

Sponsored

Gpin4life

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
As an update...

I'm completely shocked but FCA agreed to reimburse me for the parts cost only of the Centerforce clutch! Seeing that the recall ended up being a piece of sleeve over a hose, I really didn't think it would happen.

Kudos to them
How did you go about doing this. I'd like to try the same

OP
OP
Toycrusher

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
How did you go about doing this. I'd like to try the same
I was able to get an early Centerforce clutch before there was a recall solution announced by FCA. As there is now two or three official recall steps, it might not be possible anymore.

HeavyUser

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Just a heads up for anyone thinking about purchasing this clutch, me and some other members are still having issues with the revised clutch. At times it's next to near impossible to be able to shift into reverse or 1st from a cold start. The temporary fix is to rev up to 3k, clutch in, then shift. Thanks to this forum I am able to at least shift into gear from a dead stop.
Sponsored