Jeepjunkie

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sport
Vehicle Showcase
So yes, took it for a spin now around town, highway, and farm roads. It's a MUST-HAVE mod for any 6-Speed JL. It simply drives so much better. Unfortunately, the rev hang is still there, can't wait for a tuner to remove it from the programming. It's irritating to know your putting extra heat and wear into your clutch unnecessary
For the rev hang, mine went away after doing the computer relearn when I regeared:
Take the negative leads off of the battery, separate the 2 negative leads from each other and let everything discharge (I waited 30ā€ and turned on the headlights for good measure). Reattache the negative leads to each other and the battery and then go drive in 6th gear at speed (not coasting) for 20 seconds. 15k miles and 7 months later the rev hang is still gone. Maybe I got lucky?
Sponsored

ChimpanZed

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Unlimited Rubicon
I just put in a call to my dealer to ask about installing this unit as a solution to this recall
My guess is that the dealer will say ā€˜noā€™, but wouldnā€™t it be nice if FCA OKā€™d this aftermarket solution like they did with the Fox steering stabilizers!?

Shepherd12

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLR HellaYella m/t
Occupation
Something about cryogenics
My guess is that the dealer will say ā€˜noā€™, but wouldnā€™t it be nice if FCA OKā€™d this aftermarket solution like they did with the Fox steering stabilizers!?
I donā€™t expect for them to cover the cost of the clutch, but if they cover the installation, Iā€™d be satisfied with that. If they tell me ā€œnoā€ Iā€™ll call one other dealer to see what they say.

OP
OP
Toycrusher

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
For the rev hang, mine went away after doing the computer relearn when I regeared:
Take the negative leads off of the battery, separate the 2 negative leads from each other and let everything discharge (I waited 30ā€ and turned on the headlights for good measure). Reattache the negative leads to each other and the battery and then go drive in 6th gear at speed (not coasting) for 20 seconds. 15k miles and 7 months later the rev hang is still gone. Maybe I got lucky?
I had my batteries disconnected for a couple days. I drove a while in 6th yesterday but i didn't notice any change. Rev hang actually feels worse with the heavier flywheel, though i haven't measured it scientifically.

Is there a specific speed to drive at in 6th?

OP
OP
Toycrusher

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I was hoping but my dealer took some time running it up the chain and finally came back saying i could get reimbursed but not till after i took it in for the recall and had my centerforce replaced with whatever the fix turns out to be.

Sponsored

Jeepjunkie

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sport
Vehicle Showcase
I had my batteries disconnected for a couple days. I drove a while in 6th yesterday but i didn't notice any change. Rev hang actually feels worse with the heavier flywheel, though i haven't measured it scientifically.

Is there a specific speed to drive at in 6th?
Hmm. Maybe I just got lucky?
I drove at 60 mph in sixth at wot for a few seconds out of the 20 seconds, but I the throttle canā€™t be closed during that time.
Iā€™m assuming you disconnected the negative leads from each other and not just the battery.

whiteglad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
A clutch has a break-in period before getting full contact. During that time it won't hold as much torque, but too much slippage will glaze it and ruin it. Drive gently, with lots of shifting but not much slippage during shifts.

OP
OP
Toycrusher

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Hmm. Maybe I just got lucky?
I drove at 60 mph in sixth at wot for a few seconds out of the 20 seconds, but I the throttle canā€™t be closed during that time.
Iā€™m assuming you disconnected the negative leads from each other and not just the battery.
I had everything disconnected but I'll try again sometime

OP
OP
Toycrusher

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I've got about 150 miles on it now and it's fantastic. It should have been this way from the beginning. No unnecessary slippage. You can crawl through a parking lot at idle without the jeep lunging back and forth like before. You can downshift and catch just the rpm you want when you want it. It's precise instead of vague.

I may have lost some mpg, average seems to have dropped from 17.5 to 16-16.5

OminousSkitter

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Sport
Occupation
Software & Coastal Engineer
Aaaand I just want to know FCA's fix to know when I'm installing this clutch. Thanks for the feedback on it!

Sponsored

OP
OP
Toycrusher

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I'm now working on trying to get reimbursed my FCA for this. I sent them the receipt for the clutch and flywheel (no labor requested) and also had to have a dealer inspect my repair. They now have 60 days to review and respond. They said after review, I might get a check in the mail, or a polite letter telling me to go suck a lemon...

I'll hopefully have an answer to post in the next 60 days

Willing&Able

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 392 20th Anniversary
Clubs

Hey guys - I'm working w a shop that is working on installing the Centerforce clutch. They have run into an issue w the pilot bearing being too small. It is 1.330" and sits in a gap that is 1.338" - or .008" larger. The spec is < .003". They received a second pilot bearing that is the same size and that is Centerforce's last solution.

Anyone else have this issue? I'm at the point where I may have to return and stick w the shody factory clutch - which I really don't want to do.

JoshuaaT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU 6 Speed
Vehicle Showcase
I'm now working on trying to get reimbursed my FCA for this. I sent them the receipt for the clutch and flywheel (no labor requested) and also had to have a dealer inspect my repair. They now have 60 days to review and respond. They said after review, I might get a check in the mail, or a polite letter telling me to go suck a lemon...

I'll hopefully have an answer to post in the next 60 days
I am very interested to see how this turns out. I would much rather go this route than whatever they come up with for a fix.

OP
OP
Toycrusher

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Hey guys - I'm working w a shop that is working on installing the Centerforce clutch. They have run into an issue w the pilot bearing being too small. It is 1.330" and sits in a gap that is 1.338" - or .008" larger. The spec is < .003". They received a second pilot bearing that is the same size and that is Centerforce's last solution.

Anyone else have this issue? I'm at the point where I may have to return and stick w the shody factory clutch - which I really don't want to do.
I just sanded mine a little and knocked it in with a brass mallet

Willing&Able

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 392 20th Anniversary
Clubs

I just sanded mine a little and knocked it in with a brass mallet
My issue is the pilot bearing is too small - nearly 3x out of spec - sanding would only make it smaller. They sent a replacement, but it too is the same size/too small.
Sponsored