DIY Centerforce flywheel and clutch install

ALRUI

First Name
Arnold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara, 2003 F150 S-Crew FX4, Others
Any info on what has changed between designs? I’m on design three and curious what has been improved as I would consider my version ok at best.
Isn't the one shown above Rev 2 (or B)?
Sponsored

Willing&Able

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Clubs

Isn't the one shown above Rev 2 (or B)?
I was replying to the comment someone made last Friday that they just received the 'newly redesigned' clutch. I've had my 'new version' in for over a year - so curious if we are talking the same clutch or if there is a latest and greatest version as of the last month or so...

bbannongmu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Any info on what has changed between designs? I’m on design three and curious what has been improved as I would consider my version ok at best.
I just know that they had to go back a d redesign because the factory specs were inconsistent. No details. I’m breaking in new gears right now so one thing at a time. Then I’ll move on to this.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
I just know that they had to go back a d redesign because the factory specs were inconsistent. No details. I’m breaking in new gears right now so one thing at a time. Then I’ll move on to this.
That just sounds interesting to me for something like that to be said about an Aisin product. They are a company with a rep for good engineering. I'd love to hear Centerforce go into more detail about this. If they won't, then color me skeptical.

Either way, I'm glad they did a redesign and hopefully now have a good performance option for anyone who wants one.

OP
OP
Toycrusher

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
That just sounds interesting to me for something like that to be said about an Aisin product. They are a company with a rep for good engineering. I'd love to hear Centerforce go into more detail about this. If they won't, then color me skeptical.

Either way, I'm glad they did a redesign and hopefully now have a good performance option for anyone who wants one.
It's reported to be an inconsistent alignment between motor and transmission, with the inconsistency seeming to fall on the motor side. The stock clutch was loose enough to negate the issue, though I personally feel that it was a major contributing factor to the units that did suffer catastrophic failure.
Basically, with the alignment off, one side of the clutch disc is closer to the flywheel making it difficult to fully release

Sponsored

OP
OP
Toycrusher

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I just opened my box with the Gen3 disc and I'm noting the changes I see. I won't pretend to be smart enough to fully comprehend the reasons, but I have my limited ideas for the changes.

Gen 1 disc Transmission side - Stamped "Aisin", six smaller coil springs, 27 straight radial cuts on and two circumference cuts. Hub thicker than center of disc

Gen 2 disc Transmission side - Made in Japan, only four large coil springs, only 16 angled radial cuts, no circumference cuts. center of disc same thickness as hub.

Gen 3 disc Transmission side - Has Centerforce patent numbers, possible in-house built, five medium size coil springs, 30 angled radial cuts, no circumference cuts, center of disc approximately same thickness as hub.

Gen 1 on Left, Gen 2 on Right, Gen 3 below

Jeep Wrangler JL DIY Centerforce flywheel and clutch install 2021-03-07 14.23.56

Jeep Wrangler JL DIY Centerforce flywheel and clutch install 2021-09-23 20.57.18

Gen 1 disc flywheel side - Three sets of friction material, Thick wedge, thin bar, thick wedge, thin bar, thick wedge. Wide gap between sets of material

Gen 2 disc flywheel side - Eight sets of friction material, Thick wedge and one thin bar, no large gaps between sets

Gen 3 disc flywheel side - Five sets of friction material, Thick wedge, thin bar, thick wedge. Wide gap between sets of material.

Gen 1 on bottom, Gen 2 on top, Gen 3 2nd picture

Jeep Wrangler JL DIY Centerforce flywheel and clutch install 2021-03-07 14.23.26

Jeep Wrangler JL DIY Centerforce flywheel and clutch install 2021-09-23 20.57.26

It seems they settled on a medium between the Gen 1 and Gen 2, taking cues from each. I hope to get it installed soon and see if it can better handle the alignment issue present in my particular Jeep. (Obvious because weights on pressure plate thrown off-center)

Willing&Able

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Clubs

Really good work Toy. I did a google image search on the gen 3 and looks like there are similar CF clutches for other vehicles (saw one for a 5.7L) - so may be going to parts bin to find a better solution.

Definitely keep us posted as you install / learn more.

Until then I'll keep rocking the 4th to 1st gear wiggle....

OP
OP
Toycrusher

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Really good work Toy. I did a google image search on the gen 3 and looks like there are similar CF clutches for other vehicles (saw one for a 5.7L) - so may be going to parts bin to find a better solution.

Definitely keep us posted as you install / learn more.

Until then I'll keep rocking the 4th to 1st gear wiggle....
Interesting find on the common design of the disc. I've found, personally many times, that after much work and expense, the design of wheel was just fine before I started trying to improve it...

geem03

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport
Occupation
RN/ Firefighter
Vehicle Showcase
This will just be a rough guide to doing your own swap solo on a drive way.

1. Disconnect batteries (not really necessary here but a good standard practice). Remove the ground post and also the negative lead from the 2nd battery. Wrap that lead in electrical tape. Open door and verify power has been cut.

2. Put Jeep on jack stands, remove tires. Makes it easier to work

3. Drop transfer case skid plate

4. Remove your exhaust Y-pipe. Penetrating oil makes it easier to get bolts out. Let them soak a few minutes.

5. Take a punch and mark all four ends of your drive shafts and yokes, this way you can reassemble them in the exact same position. Helps avoid vibration. Remove shafts. It helps to rotate them to gain a favorable angle for removing the fasteners. Jeep uses good lock-tight so get ready to fight them. A quality torx impact bit is helpful.

6. Lower your fuel tank. I removed all the bolts except the last inner rear which i left a few threads in, that lets the tank sag a few inches necessary to remove the transmission crossmember. There is a small rock guard at the front of the tank that also needs to be removed

7. Remove the transmission crossmember. It's wedged into the frame really tight, i had to go to town on it with a brass mallet to slowly beat it out. It's not ideal to let the transmission and t-case hang on the motor mounts, but since these Jeeps are still fairly new, they can take the abuse at this time.

8. Remove the wire harness and shift cables and brackets. The plugs have irritating "Houdini" locks on them that can be frustrating to get apart when you can't see what your doing. A small mirror on a telescoping pole goes a long way. Be sure your kids haven't lost that mirror before you start your project... A small trim pry bar helps in getting all the wire harness retainers out of their places. The shift cables can be pried off the ball joints. You will need to jack up the t-case to get the pressure off the cables to remove them. Also remove the slave cylinder from the bellhousing.

Jeep Wrangler JL DIY Centerforce flywheel and clutch install 2021-09-23 20.57.26

9. If you have a proper transmission Jack and a helper, you can remove the transmission with the t-case as one. If your by yourself, better to drop the t-case first. A stubby 13mm wrench comes in handy as there isn't a whole lot of room to work. I dropped it by hand and wouldn't recommend it, put a Jack under it and let it down slowly and safely.

10. Remove transmission. There is a wire harness with a metal bracket that is on studs at the top of the transmission. It will tempt you to use colorful language. Be patient. I used a long pry bar to get it out of the way, more struggle for reassembly. You definitely need your floor Jack to lower the transmission.

11. Gloves and a face mask are recommended for this part, remove the throw-out bearing, clutch pressure plate, and then the flywheel. The dust from the clutch is bad stuff and you should minimize the contact you have with it. Not a horrible time to wipe down the inside of your bell housing and clutch fork.

12. Sand smooth the back of the crank, both inside and around the outside, wipe out any dust, lightly lube, and install your new pilot bushing. The brass mallet comes in handy here too. The brass deforms which helps protect the components you are coercing. Also a good time to lightly grease your splines and the clutch fork and install the new throw out bearing. If you put too much lube, it can wind up on the clutch and ruin its clamping force

13. Install flywheel and tighten bolts in crisscross pattern, slowly, according to torque schedule. This part is a bugger. The flywheel is stupid heavy and the bolt pattern only allows it to be installed in one orientation. It's hard to see so take your time to figure out the right direction. It may or may not have taken me three attempts... When torquing the flywheel bolts, you need to keep the engine from rotating. A helper is nice at this stage. I put a flat blade screw driver into the flywheel teeth and held it with my knee. It worked but it wasn't pretty. Be aware you'll need a 12 point socket for the flywheel bolts.

13. Wash down the new flywheel good with brake cleaner. If you get any greasy handprints on it, this whole exercise would be for nothing. Do the same with the clutch disc, and the pressure plate. Stab the clutch disc with the install tool and fit it into the flywheel. Then put your pressure plate over it. Put in the bolts loosely and evenly to hold some pressure against the clutch disc. Test that you can now remove and insert the alignment tool easily. If all good, then torque to spec and begin the rest of your install in reverse order.

With a two post lift and a helper, you could be in and out in 4 hours or less. Working solo in your driveway, count on 8+ hours the first time and 5-6 to do it again.

Ok so I lied, I had a helper, but most of the time she acted like she had no idea what i was asking her up do! :LOL:

Excellent write up! And she's Beautiful!!! CONGRATS!

Sponsored

EMTJEEP

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
@Toycrusher Does anyone know when the newest version of the CF clutch will be available for purchase? It looks like some people who already had a CF clutch are getting replacements of the newer version, so hopefully soon?

OP
OP
Toycrusher

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
@Toycrusher Does anyone know when the newest version of the CF clutch will be available for purchase? It looks like some people who already had a CF clutch are getting replacements of the newer version, so hopefully soon?
I don't have any insider information. They are definitely treading carefully at this point, taking feedback to ensure this latest version works for all. It's funny how sometimes you can get thrown a loop by something you know so well. Be patient and it will all be worth it 👍

OP
OP
Toycrusher

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
So I finally got my 3rd gen Centerforce clutch installed this weekend. It's AWESOME!

Hopefully they become available for sale soon, the applied torque of the heavier flywheel and linear activation is a bigger improvement in performance and driveability than any supercharger or nitrous injection could be

I am still bitterly angry at the FCA engineer who designed the fuel line and wiring harness bracket to attach to the top two bellhousing bolt studs. As punishment he should be forced to remove and install those bolts and brackets once a day for a year at least.

Work went smoothly being on a lift... EXCEPT... I could only fit a two post lift with a floor plate in my garage. It's not big deal driving over the hump protecting the cables and hoses, but it just so happens to be perfectly in the way of my transmission jack. I fought two hours trying to get my transmission to snug up the last 3". I'm simply not tough enough to man handle the transmission/t-case combo over my head and into position. I finally resorted to using clamps to slowly wiggle and slide the transmission into place. I'm not proud of it, but sometimes you have to do what you have to do.

EMTJEEP

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
So I finally got my 3rd gen Centerforce clutch installed this weekend. It's AWESOME!

Hopefully they become available for sale soon, the applied torque of the heavier flywheel and linear activation is a bigger improvement in performance and driveability than any supercharger or nitrous injection could be

I am still bitterly angry at the FCA engineer who designed the fuel line and wiring harness bracket to attach to the top two bellhousing bolt studs. As punishment he should be forced to remove and install those bolts and brackets once a day for a year at least.

Work went smoothly being on a lift... EXCEPT... I could only fit a two post lift with a floor plate in my garage. It's not big deal driving over the hump protecting the cables and hoses, but it just so happens to be perfectly in the way of my transmission jack. I fought two hours trying to get my transmission to snug up the last 3". I'm simply not tough enough to man handle the transmission/t-case combo over my head and into position. I finally resorted to using clamps to slowly wiggle and slide the transmission into place. I'm not proud of it, but sometimes you have to do what you have to do.
Good to hear. I spoke with centerforce and they said that the only update they have is the one that they sent out back on August 9th and do not have any updates for October or an ETA. Hopefully everyone else who got the Gen 3 clutch is all positive and CF releases it soon.

I was going to buy the gen 1 clutch but jeep covered the replacement and then CF took their clutch off their website. As soon as its available, it'll be the first thing I buy.

Mandalorian

First Name
MANDALORIAN
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU SPORT
Clubs

Good to hear. I spoke with centerforce and they said that the only update they have is the one that they sent out back on August 9th and do not have any updates for October or an ETA. Hopefully everyone else who got the Gen 3 clutch is all positive and CF releases it soon.

I was going to buy the gen 1 clutch but jeep covered the replacement and then CF took their clutch off their website. As soon as its available, it'll be the first thing I buy.
I don't know which version I have, but I abuse it weekly and after busting spider gears the clutch still seems to shift well after I give it a week to settle down. To the the people that are getting the update
versions for free. How do I do that?
Sponsored