OP
OP
Toycrusher

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
My transmission did not engage the pilot bearing, the one from centerforce was simply to center the clutch. Could you put teflon tape or something to make up that .003 in clearance just for installation? It will be loose soon, but it can't go anywhere and i don't think you will hear it. Just a thought

20200409_192220.jpg
Sponsored

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2019 KL, 2020 JT
My transmission did not engage the pilot bearing, the one from centerforce was simply to center the clutch. Could you put teflon tape or something to make up that .003 in clearance just for installation? It will be loose soon, but it can't go anywhere and i don't think you will hear it. Just a thought

20200409_192220.jpg
If the pilot bearing is only for aligning the clutch, is there any reason to change it?

OP
OP
Toycrusher

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
If the pilot bearing is only for aligning the clutch, is there any reason to change it?
My crank did not have one at all. It was necessary to install the new one for clutch alignment. The stock clutch is centered by the pressure plate and inner disc

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Somewhere on the interweb is a giant .pdf of Speedi Sleeve sizes (from the manufacturer), that'd be your best bet for a steel shim. Most NAPAs can get Speedi Sleeves next day (or quickly at least) if you need 'em

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2019 KL, 2020 JT
My crank did not have one at all. It was necessary to install the new one for clutch alignment. The stock clutch is centered by the pressure plate and inner disc
If your transmission input shaft does not engage the pilot bearing, what is supporting the end of the input shaft? Is it just free floating? I found a picture of the original flywheel and it looks like it has a bearing that supports the end of the input shaft. Can you check your original flywheel to see if it supported the end of the input shaft?

Sponsored

MadDog27

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Tacoma
Vehicle Showcase
I’m confused. @Toycrusher has pics of the back of his crank with and without a pilot bearing. He even mentioned to clean and install a new one. Why are some having pilot bearings and some aren’t?

OP
OP
Toycrusher

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I’m confused. @Toycrusher has pics of the back of his crank with and without a pilot bearing. He even mentioned to clean and install a new one. Why are some having pilot bearings and some aren’t?
Mine did not have one. I installed one to be able to align the centerforce clutch disc

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Curious, too. In step 12 he calls it a pilot "bushing" and I gotta say it looks more like a bushing than a roller bearing.

If it were solely for the alignment tool, this would make sense - it's just a placeholder.

But maybe it is a true roller bearing - I can't be certain from the photo

OP
OP
Toycrusher

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Curious, too. In step 12 he calls it a pilot "bushing" and I gotta say it looks more like a bushing than a roller bearing.

If it were solely for the alignment tool, this would make sense - it's just a placeholder.

Definitely Just a bushing

Sponsored

OP
OP
Toycrusher

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
As an update...

I'm completely shocked but FCA agreed to reimburse me for the parts cost only of the Centerforce clutch! Seeing that the recall ended up being a piece of sleeve over a hose, I really didn't think it would happen.

Kudos to them

whiteglad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
The OEM LuK clutch and dual mass flywheel are designed to quell vibrations that would be hard on the transmission and the engine bearings. If using a single mass clutch and solid flywheel, be sure that you don't get a lot of vibrations, especially at certain rpm's. Also, due to the need to space the flywheel back from the engine, it could be very heavy, another ussue with the crank and bearings.

The OEM clutch on the JL and JT is made by LuK and is dual disc with a center plate that is poorly engineered. If and when the center plate fails, pieces can fly out and cut lines causing the fire. LuK has no fix or re-design for the clutch, but South Bend Clutch does. They have decades of experience in re-engineering and improving factory clutches with better engineering, friction materials, etc. They have a center plate that fixes the problem,, instead of merely shielding from a failing part, which to date is the Jeep fix. They can rebuild and fix your clutch, or buy a new one and re-work it for you.

HeavyUser

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL

Just got off the phone with Centerforce. They advised that they are no longer sending out the Pilot Bearings for JLs as there was too much variation in tolerances. He told me the flywheel has a hole in it now used for the centering tool.

I'm not really mechanically inclined in anyway so this doesn't mean to much to me. Hopefully this helps some of you out.
Sponsored