Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR in Punk'n Orange
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Turn Wrenches/ Write code
This works for the 3.6L. Not sure about the other engines. My pics may help you decide though.
I stumbled on this while researching temporary solutions while waiting for my actual mounting bracket from MORE to arrive.
For this install, you will need:
  • ARB Twin Compressor w/ wiring harnesses (or knock off- I don’t judge).
  • T-30 Torx (either socket or a T-Handle)
  • A 10 mm deep well socket and extension, preferably 1/4” drive
  • A L-Shaped Bracket with pre drilled holes- I found mine in my shelving/ fencing section of my local Ace Hardware store.
  • Female flat connectors for 14-16 gauge wire
  • Vise grips
  • BF Hammer
Not Required, but makes things easier:
  • Factory Aux Switches
  • Heat shrink
  • Wire Crimping/ stripping tool
  • Vise
  • Press brake or other tool to bend metal
  1. Remove the Plastic Engine cover with the T-30 Torx. Locate the bracket toward the front passenger side that’s bolted to the Alternator. Use the 10mm socket to remove that bracket.
    Jeep Wrangler JL DIY ARB Twin/ Knock off under hood install F1D8C0A7-BFEA-487A-B931-95D1A3B847E3
    Jeep Wrangler JL DIY ARB Twin/ Knock off under hood install 65556497-167F-4869-AB4A-F792C865EC98
  2. Once removed, take that bracket with the threaded post, and thread it into one of the nutzerts on the compressor. This will take some test fitting as your desired position may differ from mine.
    Jeep Wrangler JL DIY ARB Twin/ Knock off under hood install CC6DAEB6-8247-4F74-B7F2-350E57989798

next, reinstall the brackets with the bolts loosely to determine the positioning of the compressor.
    Once the position is aligned, locate the 10mm nut that holds the AC Lines down. Remove that nut from the stud .
    Jeep Wrangler JL DIY ARB Twin/ Knock off under hood install B09560B6-630F-4C0B-B29D-9BB71685F3BD
    Jeep Wrangler JL DIY ARB Twin/ Knock off under hood install 45551CB3-EBF0-4B90-80E5-3B8057D1B55D
  3. Take your L bracket, and test fit it, with one end at the stud for the AC lines, and the other end of the L under the compressor, supporting the other side.
  4. Take a sharpie and mark the bends. Again, depending on your desired positioning, yours may be different than mine.
    Line up the holes in the bracket and the nutzerts on the compressor support bracket. Mark the nearest nutzert to the hole.
    Jeep Wrangler JL DIY ARB Twin/ Knock off under hood install 1029CCA1-F90C-43F1-9116-D42532146953
  5. Find a solid, straight surface/ edge, and use the BF Hammer and/ or vise grips to “fabricate” (Read: smash) it to the desired angle.
    Test fit.
    Jeep Wrangler JL DIY ARB Twin/ Knock off under hood install D0165696-CF88-4C8C-BE05-8BA716BB11A0
  6. Once the L bracket is at the desired angle, remove the alternator bracket again. Flip the compressor upside down, and use one of the provided bolts to secure the L bracket to the compressor bracket
  7. Reinstall the compressor with the alternator bracket and the reshaped L bracket attached. Start with the front 2 bolts of the Alternator bracket, then move over to the AC line bracket.
    Jeep Wrangler JL DIY ARB Twin/ Knock off under hood install 3C90FC3C-0DAA-470C-A696-FF5928FCF694
    Jeep Wrangler JL DIY ARB Twin/ Knock off under hood install 8071EF16-C91D-4ACA-AFB0-0F33002BF997

Tighten everything down.
    Run your wires. This is close to the battery and the factory Aux bundle/ ground blocks under the hood. FOLLOW YOUR WIRING DIAGRAM.

Notes:
I test fit this several times and as long as you line it up accurately, the hood should close, no issues. That said: you may have to get creative with a solution for the air Chuck. There isn’t really enough room for a straight one and most elbows will interfere with the hood closing.
This was designed to be a temporary solution until my bracket from MORE showed up because I wanted to have this compressor ready for a ride but wasn’t sure if my permanent one would show up on time. I didn’t want to mount this under the hood long term due to heat issues, and the fact that this is a daily driven rig in the rust belt- so I didn’t want my compressor exposed to all that garbage as well.
Ultimately I wrote this up because I figured someone else could probably use it.

Check out the pictures, if you’ve got any questions- feel free to reach out.
Sponsored