Sponsored

DIY Adjustable Height Rear Storage Rack & Shelf (Not bolted to hardtop! :))

erickdiaz019

First Name
Erick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL
Didn't want to shell out $500 for an adjustable height cargo shelf like the AAL ones, so I made my own. I custom laser-cut my own metal side brackets to bolt onto the roll bars, and added a series of holes so that I could attach aluminum extrusion side arms and move them to different heights if needed. Instead of aluminum extrusion, I bet angle iron could work fine too.

Then just bolted a piece of wood to the arms! I also used spacers behind the metal bracket so that it doesn't interfere with the plastic trim.

If I made more of the side brackets, would anyone be interested in buying them? I didn't expect the side brackets to work so well and be so sturdy! If I can help fellow DIY-loving Jeepers save some cash by going the DIY route, I can consider making more!

Jeep Wrangler JL DIY Adjustable Height Rear Storage Rack & Shelf (Not bolted to hardtop! :)) unnamed
Sponsored

Wulfgott

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 PUNK'N 2.0L Turbo JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Meat popsicle
That's pretty cool.

Mx5red

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR, 2020 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Looks nice! I'm sure some people would buy them. Not everyone has a laser cutter, but everyone can buy extrusion!

Can you easily access the bolts on the sides for the extrusion? I would put wing nuts or knobs either on the bracket, or preferably on the back of the bracket so you could unscrew the rails if you needed to take them off in a pinch.

OP
OP

erickdiaz019

First Name
Erick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL
Looks nice! I'm sure some people would buy them. Not everyone has a laser cutter, but everyone can buy extrusion!

Can you easily access the bolts on the sides for the extrusion? I would put wing nuts or knobs either on the bracket, or preferably on the back of the bracket so you could unscrew the rails if you needed to take them off in a pinch.

Yes, I can easily access the bolts. And I'm probably going to get knobs/wingnuts for the wood. What I had in mind was to have the wood be the thing that is quickly removable. Meanwhile, the metal bracket and arms are the things that I would leave all year round probably.

Fudster

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Elliot
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara
Nice job Erick! Really clean look. I was wondering if you wanted to take the design to "11."

Cut the board out, barring say a 2" border on all sides but the one closest to the tailgate.

Put that cutout board on hinges in the rear and keep it in the position of the picture with some latches attched below.

Now, if you've got stuff to occasionally haul that needs all the vertical space of the cargo area you just drop that board down.

Sponsored

Vanburi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 'Mojito' JLR
I would be interested to the point that I am ready to buy a set from you now. Awesome and creative, love it....

OP
OP

erickdiaz019

First Name
Erick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL
Nice job Erick! Really clean look. I was wondering if you wanted to take the design to "11."

Cut the board out, barring say a 2" border on all sides but the one closest to the tailgate.

Put that cutout board on hinges in the rear and keep it in the position of the picture with some latches attched below.

Now, if you've got stuff to occasionally haul that needs all the vertical space of the cargo area you just drop that board down.
interesting idea!

OP
OP

erickdiaz019

First Name
Erick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL
I would be interested to the point that I am ready to buy a set from you now. Awesome and creative, love it....
Thank you my fellow Mojito! Watch this thread then, I’ll see what I can do to make more

OP
OP

erickdiaz019

First Name
Erick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL

Here’s a back side view of the accessibility of the nuts on the other side

Jeep Wrangler JL DIY Adjustable Height Rear Storage Rack & Shelf (Not bolted to hardtop! :)) B7F7023D-B829-46D2-A3BB-229F7BE05648

Sponsored

OP
OP

erickdiaz019

First Name
Erick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL
Good news! There is a laser cutting shop that I know that is able to make these really quick. Delivery would take 7-10 days. Price below. Email me if you would like to buy them!………….. [email protected]

It would come as a set of 2. (One for each roll bar). The design would have enough holes for 3 different adjustable heights. I will offer 2 different material/thickness choices. Both choices will be equally rigid/stiff. See below. Powdercoating available for an extra $30.

PRICE:

0.25” thick 5052 aluminum - $90 for the set of 2 (free shipping for USA. $19 shipping for Canada)

0.188” thick A36 steel - $75 for the set of 2 (free shipping for USA. $19 shipping for Canada)

Email me! — [email protected]
I’ll take PayPal

Last edited:
OP
OP

erickdiaz019

First Name
Erick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL
Finished my DIY project! Painted the wood black, bolted slotted angle iron along the length to add stiffness and tie down holes, and attached the wood to the aluminum extrusion arms with “T-bolts” and a thru-hole knob so that I can remove/install by hand tightening. Because of the aluminum extrusion, I can loosen the 4 corners and slide it out like a sliding shelf for a place to have a surface while I eat standing up! Here are some pictures!

F8F4A1AC-B363-4CA8-BA9F-15F11ED33604.jpeg

D70072C7-58A5-486E-A1CA-CFB7A9999555.jpeg

2655349B-DC22-41FD-ABB5-A31599BA382C.jpeg

7EC6A920-1DE1-4470-8B70-4B6F4AC7BF5F.jpeg

24ABD202-2ECB-47A3-9103-8BEEF0EC3FD8.jpeg

B1F6921A-1131-44A8-8609-B0E05137BA26.jpeg

74E9D0F6-1BCE-4C5E-B497-8518EC386D39.jpeg

CA03A81F-D3E9-4FB1-972D-3D6A3AFD6AB7.jpeg

19Stingray

First Name
Mathis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
Just ordered a set! I’m stoked to build this! Glad to come across your thread!

OP
OP

erickdiaz019

First Name
Erick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL
A couple people have asked me if I still make these - I DO!

I am taking a break from Etsy, but I still can answer questions and take orders through PayPal. You can email me at: [email protected]
Sponsored