Dissapointed in the 4xe Max Regeneration mode

Newbie 4xe

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Sahara
I think the expectations of people are too high for a PHEV WRANGLER. This isn't even close to anything like a EV car. The wrangler, just like in several other situations, isn't a great vehicle compared to others. I personally think they have done a pretty darn good job with delivering a vehicle which is still very much a wrangler with all the faults (seems people love them) of a wrangler.
I agree completely! I wanted a Wrangler. I was thrilled to have an option to have a PHEV version. I now have my first of both and couldn’t be happier.
Sponsored

SnB4xe

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler High Altitude 4xe
Stupid question: Does the ICE in the 4Xe have an alternator, BSG, or use the transmission's electric motor for all charging & warm starts? Is there still a 12V lead acid battery & traditional starter for cold-climate starting?
No alternator. There is a 2500 watt DC-DC converter that charges the 12v battery.

Yoliver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Model 3
does anyone know if pressing the brake pedal automatically engages the actual brakes? On my Taycan pressing the brake engages regen unless the amount of brake pedal pressure exceeds the amount of slowing the regen can provide. Only then are the actual brakes applied. The system is great and far more natural than an aggressive regen every time you lift off the gas. I haven’t driven a 4xe yet. Is there a regen gauge that you could monitor to see if hitting the brake pedal increases the energy return?
pretty late, but to answer your question the 4xe does blend the brake pedal. There is an analog gauge and a display mode in the infotainment that reads your charge.

Also Max Regen isn't actually the max off throttle regen. I remember reading an article that said touching the brake pedal in max regen mode unlocks more charging capability. The Mach-E is similar in that regard.

Bzinsky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 rubicon 4xe
I realize this is an old thread, but I was just reading it. Just want to update it for anybody reading in the future.

This is definitely the reason. I can hear the rear tires near their traction limit multiple times a day.

I suspect the reason for this is the 4xe is RWD. Weight transfer to the front tires is going to happen whether you are braking or in regen. That in turn is unloading the rear tires. Hit a slick spot on the road and the rear end is going to do unpleasant things.

I had a '14 Volt, and loved the nearly one pedal drive. I did have a few pucker moments though where it was in regen under braking, hit a slick spot, and had the ABS take what felt like an eternity to kick in. Probably only a couple tenths of a second, but if you are not expecting it, it catches you by surprise.

mllcb42

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4xe HA, 392XR
This thread is missing a fundamental understanding of how the regenerative braking system in the 4xe works and what "max regen" even does.

The 4xe uses a blended braking system controlled by the regenerative braking system. Except for when at low speeds or in low traction situations, decel up to .25g is handled primarily by the p2 motor/generator. When you press the brake pedal, the motor/generator slows the vehicle. It isn't until you demand more than .25g that the mechanical brakes are engaged. You engage the regenerative braking system by pressing the brake pedal, and it decides what to do.

Max regen does not increase the amount of regen performed. It remaps the user input to initiate the regenerative braking system from when you press the brake pedal to when you let off the accelerator. Max regen is a user interface change.

If you watch the power flow during decel due to Max regen vs pressing the brake pedal, you'll see that you actually get a higher peak kW from pressing the brake pedal.

Where Max regen can potentially help is in stop and go driving where the change in user input forces you to decel sooner, preventing you from ever demanding more than .25g of decel, as kinetic energy after that point gets converted to heat through the mechanical brakes rather than recaptured in the generator.

Sponsored

Bzinsky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 rubicon 4xe
This thread is missing a fundamental understanding of how the regenerative braking system in the 4xe works and what "max regen" even does.

The 4xe uses a blended braking system controlled by the regenerative braking system. Except for when at low speeds or in low traction situations, decel up to .25g is handled primarily by the p2 motor/generator. When you press the brake pedal, the motor/generator slows the vehicle. It isn't until you demand more than .25g that the mechanical brakes are engaged. You engage the regenerative braking system by pressing the brake pedal, and it decides what to do.

Max regen does not increase the amount of regen performed. It remaps the user input to initiate the regenerative braking system from when you press the brake pedal to when you let off the accelerator. Max regen is a user interface change.

If you watch the power flow during decel due to Max regen vs pressing the brake pedal, you'll see that you actually get a higher peak kW from pressing the brake pedal.

Where Max regen can potentially help is in stop and go driving where the change in user input forces you to decel sooner, preventing you from ever demanding more than .25g of decel, as kinetic energy after that point gets converted to heat through the mechanical brakes rather than recaptured in the generator.
The thing that bothers me the most about max regen is I never know when my brake lights are on. (I’m assuming the brake lights are on with foot off the the gas)

BXFXJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Sahara

thanks for this, I have now turned mine off.