Dissapointed in the 4xe Max Regeneration mode

nowandthen

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKUR, 1989 Toyota standard cab pickup
Oh, don't compare what Jeep engineers came up with to what Porsche engineers created. That's like asking a High School baseball team to play a MLB team. It's just not the same game. Porsche 919s won Le Mans with hybrid LMP1 cars thee years in a row. They know something about EV. Jeep hasn't done anything like that. There just isn't enough engineering depth.
I'll still take the High School team. :) It's a Jeep thing!

Newbie 4xe

First Name
Steve
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Sahara
I think the expectations of people are too high for a PHEV WRANGLER. This isn't even close to anything like a EV car. The wrangler, just like in several other situations, isn't a great vehicle compared to others. I personally think they have done a pretty darn good job with delivering a vehicle which is still very much a wrangler with all the faults (seems people love them) of a wrangler.
I agree completely! I wanted a Wrangler. I was thrilled to have an option to have a PHEV version. I now have my first of both and couldn’t be happier.

SnB4xe

First Name
Greg
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler High Altitude 4xe
Stupid question: Does the ICE in the 4Xe have an alternator, BSG, or use the transmission's electric motor for all charging & warm starts? Is there still a 12V lead acid battery & traditional starter for cold-climate starting?
No alternator. There is a 2500 watt DC-DC converter that charges the 12v battery.

Yoliver

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Model 3
does anyone know if pressing the brake pedal automatically engages the actual brakes? On my Taycan pressing the brake engages regen unless the amount of brake pedal pressure exceeds the amount of slowing the regen can provide. Only then are the actual brakes applied. The system is great and far more natural than an aggressive regen every time you lift off the gas. I haven’t driven a 4xe yet. Is there a regen gauge that you could monitor to see if hitting the brake pedal increases the energy return?
pretty late, but to answer your question the 4xe does blend the brake pedal. There is an analog gauge and a display mode in the infotainment that reads your charge.

Also Max Regen isn't actually the max off throttle regen. I remember reading an article that said touching the brake pedal in max regen mode unlocks more charging capability. The Mach-E is similar in that regard.

Advertisement

Diode Dynamics

Advertisement