Sponsored

Dismantling factory half doors for paint?

YippieKiYayMrFalcon

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 80th Anniversary
Vehicle Showcase
Has anyone taken apart the new factory half doors yet? I purchased the rears last week and have the fronts on the way, but they are all red, and I have a black jeep. I am going to take them to a paint shop to match them, but am considering only bringing them the shells and hinges to paint, so that they will hopefully charge me less since there would be less prep work.

My plan is to remove the mirrors, door handles, and interior trim panel. I would then take off the hinges, since they are adjustable and would need to be painted behind. Also don't want the bolts painted over so they can remain adjustable.

Just curious as to how complicated this is. I can't imagine it's all that difficult, since the door release handle and lock should be the only mechanics in there.
Sponsored

OP
OP
YippieKiYayMrFalcon

YippieKiYayMrFalcon

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 80th Anniversary
Vehicle Showcase
For anyone interested, here they are with the interior door panels off. There are a couple small exposed torque screws along the sides and/or bottom depending on front or rear door. The fronts also have one on top by the mirror under a small cover.

Once those are removed, you need to remove the cover behind the interior door handle to expose another bolt. Then remove the 4 allen bolts holding the fabric door handle to expose 2 7mm bolts.

Once all those are removed, just pick a loose spot and start pulling to release the pressure clips. First one took 30-40 minutes as I was figuring it out. Subsequent ones took about 15-20.

Once the panel is loose, it's a matter of unclipping all the wiring harnesses. The front obviously has more electronics for the lock buttons and mirrors.

Weather stripping is held in by 2 christmas tree clips on each end, and then just slid into the retainer channel all the way around the door.

Jeep Wrangler JL Dismantling factory half doors for paint? IMG_0897

Jeep Wrangler JL Dismantling factory half doors for paint? IMG_0895