DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
What about the wobble in the shift knob? That slight little give...?
FInd me a manual transmission shifter that doesn't have some play in it. Again, my brother's ZL1 has it too, but when left alone, the JL has no vibration whatsoever, at any speed. Can't say that for his ZL1. My Jk's shifter shakes like a chihuahua with a nervous system disorder.

As a cable connected shifter, it is isolated from driveline vibration. That's a very good thing in this kind of vehicle, IMHO.

SecondTJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
The feel is as good as my brother's Camaro ZL1 clutch. Find a better clutch than that one and I'll be shocked. Btw, he agrees with me on my JL's clutch being excellent.
My ZL1 has significantly more pedal feedback than the JL. That's because they have a dual-disc clutch, it's in a league above JL. They do not compare.

jeepingib

First Name
Dusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' JLUR Punk'n
Occupation
Mechanic
I'm another outlier. I did test drive the manual before buying .. and went with the automatic because of the test drive There was just no feel to the clutch. I didn't stall it, but I did bog it down more than I should have. And I didn't like the shifter pattern either. I kept thinking I was cruising in fifth when I was in 3rd. But my background isn't sports cars like a lot of you guys. I've been driving manual Jeeps since the YJ, and a M35A1, and a old 800 series 5 ton. So I am used to feedback, and long throws.

Jeepcity

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jl rubicon tj rubicon yj cj 8 cj 7 cherokee
If you are used to driving imports with no torque ( revving and slipping clutch ) you will love this clutch in your mall crawler . If you are used to High torque engines starting off at idle and and then applying throttle with no stalls ,you will be very disappointed . The ones who like the manual JL s off road have not used them to there potential .

Sponsored

lbau317

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport
Vehicle Showcase
This is the best manual Jeep to date. Don't know what to tell you.
I agree, love the way it clutches and shifts. Smooth and precise.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
My ZL1 has significantly more pedal feedback than the JL. That's because they have a dual-disc clutch, it's in a league above JL. They do not compare.
Sorry, I didn't read about the ZL1 in a magazine. I've driven it plenty. I did stall it once, though, unlike the JL. Where the ZL1's clutch comes into it's own is when you unleash the beast and put the power down. Then, I'd agree with you . In normal relaxed every day driving, however, it has no better feel than the JL. In fact I found itbharder to modulate on gentle acceleration from a dead stop. Why normal driving in a ZL1, you may ask? Because every cop in our town is watching and they know who it is.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
If you are used to driving imports with no torque ( revving and slipping clutch ) you will love this clutch in your mall crawler . If you are used to High torque engines starting off at idle and and then applying throttle with no stalls ,you will be very disappointed . The ones who like the manual JL s off road have not used them to there potential .
Wrong. Not with the Rubi, anyway, with 4.10 diffs. and an 84:1 crawl ratio in low range. It is nearly effortless.

OP
OP

Tom Jk to Jl

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler
BFGs are on the Rubicon, but believe it or not the Bridgestone and the Goodyear all terrains are in fact all terrain tires. Just not KO2s...
Sean, Bridgestone dueler a/t tires on these Jeeps are all season tires, even says so on the Bridgestone website for this model tire. Just because the sidewall says "a/t" doesn't mean it's an all terrain tire.

I really think Jeep falsely advertised these as "all terrain" on the online build tool.

And yes I was expecting ko2 tires because that's what you got on the jk when you selected the all terrain tire upgrade.

Screenshot_2019-04-03-01-18-04.png

Last edited:

chevymitchell

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Pain Train), 2022 2500 AT4
Occupation
Avi Engineer
Wrong. Not with the Rubi, anyway, with 4.10 diffs. and an 84:1 crawl ratio in low range. It is nearly effortless.
I'll agree with @DanW. I took my Rubi on a cross country wheeling tour last year; nearly 5 months long. I wheeled Colorado, MOAB, Big Bear, Arizona, Pennsylvania, and Minnesota. I did this all stock and my 6-speed was phenomenal. The control you have is great and you'll grow to appreciate an easy clutch and cable shifter when you're sitting at a 30-40 degree incline or decline. For those who really do wheel their machines will greatly appreciate the feel, especially when you're pushing the clutch in 100 times over 3 miles on the trail. (arbitrary, obviously)

I'm really surprised to read people are having a hard time with the 6-spd or they don't like it. It's pretty typical to any change, but give it a chance. Go get your Jeep in an off camber situation or just wheel it like you stole it. You'll really like the 6-spd by the end of the day when your leg isn't about to fall off. Lol.

Sponsored

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
Sean, Bridgestone dueler a/t tires on these Jeeps are all season tires, even says so on the Bridgestone website for this model tire. Just because the sidewall says "a/t" doesn't mean it's an all terrain tire.

I really think Jeep falsely advertised these as "all terrain" on the online build tool.

And yes I was expecting ko2 tires because that's what you got on the jk when you selected the all terrain tire upgrade.

Screenshot_2019-04-03-01-18-04.png
There are two different Dueler tires offered on the wrangler, the HT and the AT. It is all season due to the siping on the tread. Pretty much all of your all terrain tires will also be listed as All Season, as they are in fact all season tires and suitable for year round driving.

Mine came with the Goodyear AT Adventures and so far I haven't had any trouble off road, and I can't imagine the Dueler being much less as they do look like they have a comparable tread. Certainly not false advertising.

I'm no expert on the JK, but I really have a hard time remembering any of them coming with KO2 specifically. I remember seeing a lot of them with KMs and KM2s, and a lot of Sports and Saharas with mid-level ATs but not KOs. Is there a specific trim/special edition that had KO/KO2?

OP
OP

Tom Jk to Jl

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler
Sean, mine has the rh-s tires. These are not an all terrain tire. The fact that the manufacturer doesn't even list them as that is proof.

And it's an all season not sure to siping, but a benign highway/mall friendly tread pattern.

I don't really care, I just wish I hadn't wasted the extra $1000 for what amount to $170/each highway tires

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
Sean, mine has the rh-s tires. These are not an all terrain tire. The fact that the manufacturer doesn't even list them as that is proof.

And it's an all season not sure to siping, but a benign highway/mall friendly tread pattern.

I don't really care, I just wish I hadn't wasted the extra $1000 for what amount to $170/each highway tires
They list all of their Dueler tires as off road tires. What specific option did you get, the upgraded wheels or the limited slip diff? I'm not even sure based off of your description that we're even talking about the same tire now...

OP
OP

Tom Jk to Jl

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler
I got the upgraded wheels and limited slip. I believe the tire code was TQL or TLQ... something like that. It was clearly called "all-terrain" on the build tool.

OP
OP

Tom Jk to Jl

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler
I should also note that I'm not a big off roader. And I'm not a poser jeep bro owner who pretends to be.
I live in snow country and enjoy the winter traction of a decent all terrain. Also love the long wear life of the ko2.

Seems like this lousy Bridgestone highyway tires will need replacement at 30-35k miles.
Sponsored