Dislike the JL 6 speed Shifter and Transmission

OwlShadows

First Name
Asher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
I never had issues adjusting to the JL shifter, I've driven sporty cars and a 3 gear tractor. I feel the JL is more enjoyable as a daily and better suited both the highway and off road. But that's just me. =)
Sponsored

JeepU4IA

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Dodge Charger R/T, 2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU
I've driven dozens of manuals in my lifetime and each one was a new experience. On top of that, a new clutch versus old will be different on the exact same vehicle. All of them have learning curves associated with them. It is unreasonable to hop into any new manual and expect it to be like another manual in the way that automatics are similar. I predict OP will post a new thread in a month: "The JL 6MT is the best ever in a Jeep"

It took me about a week to get used to my JL. I think the resistance provided by the 35s really improved the experience. No complaints here.

Conforte

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL / 2 Door
If you're already sour apples about the six speed... you're gonna love my thread from 4 months ago...

Does your shift knob wobble "oh so slightly"... It makes me nuts...

******************************************************************************************************************************************
I had an issue with my parking brake jingling when I released it... it sounded like a bracket or nuts/washers were loose...

That WAS the case and the dealer removed the center console to address/fix the issue...

But since then, my shift knob (manual) seems to "rock" left and right about a cm. It is solid front to rear, but certainly now feels a tad loose side to side.
I drove around Long Island on Saturday looking for a dealership with another JL Manual with no success... the dealer who also drives a stick told me he now notices his shift knob "wobbling" the slightest bit...

Anyone else feel this in their shifter? It's starting to make me a little nuts. I truly don't recall if it did this out of the showroom or before the dealer repair... it went in for service with less than 500 miles on it...

I thought it was rock solid when it left the dealership at purchase... and then, after having them disassemble the center console... I guess I became hypersensitive... The dealer said he would order another knob for me, but now I think they all have the slightest bit of play in them...

I was going to pull it off and fill it with some kind of sealant to take up the little bit of slack... but I guess I'll just leave it. It probably wouldn't be a bad idea if they threw a "set screw" in future production... That said, and I think its a great design for a factory knob... although, it'll probably be replaced sometime in the future like the one on my J-10...

Thanks! Rob

Brew211

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLURM, Tundra, 2022 JLU 392 XR
Vehicle Showcase
Basically to say that the Jeep died in 2018.
And to vent that I just wasted $38k

$38k sounds like a deal. I paid a lot more and have zero regrets. I've had every generation jeep manual and this is my favorite. I've swapped out and short-shifted all of them but I see no reason to do this for the JL. I will say it took me a couple weeks to get used to it, but I love it with no regrets.

Pourboire

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL
Just got my JL 6 speed.... I absolutely hate the new shifter and transmission.

I didn't test drive one before I purchased because the dealer didnt have a stick on the lot. I guess I never figured that they would have installed a shifter that feels like it belongs on a front wheel drive import car on a Jeep!

I really hate this thing and regret the purchase because of the shifter. This shifter is seriously pathetic, I can't believe more jeepers aren't complaining about this.

Why in the world would they de-couple the shifter from the transmission and put in something that makes it feel like a front wheel drive piece of junk?
Over the years I have owned 7 manual transmission Jeeps (CJ-5, 7s, etc), I for one think this is he best
manual transmission that jeep has developed or decided to use. Having owned many sports cars over the years, MGB's, MBC, Jaguar XKE, Austin Healys with manual was a true struggle. All I can say, many thanks to the Chrysler team. Did I forget the old 1937, 40 Buics with than manuals. I must confess, the transmission in the Honda 2000s was slick, but their engine would return to VW status when pushed. Sorry you were unhappy with the new transmission, give it a little more time.

Sponsored

dzsmlm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL 4 door
Just got my JL 6 speed.... I absolutely hate the new shifter and transmission.

I didn't test drive one before I purchased because the dealer didnt have a stick on the lot. I guess I never figured that they would have installed a shifter that feels like it belongs on a front wheel drive import car on a Jeep!

I really hate this thing and regret the purchase because of the shifter. This shifter is seriously pathetic, I can't believe more jeepers aren't complaining about this.

Why in the world would they de-couple the shifter from the transmission and put in something that makes it feel like a front wheel drive piece of junk?

Mine works great. Sounds like you need to take it back to be adjusted.

Pink Brit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"GAMORA" Mojito JLR 6-speed manual :)
Occupation
Personal Trainer
@Tom Jk to Jl I've had my 6 speed JLR for just over a week now and put about 500 miles on it. I too bought mine without being able to drive the manual, as there weren't any on the lot, which is pretty common it appears as I'm told the general American consumer is more accustomed to automatic transmission ... and they do outsell manuals by quite a margin. I have no desire to drive an automatic, so I was going to order a manual no matter what, and reviews have been pretty positive regarding the new 6 speed.

That said, the first 300 miles absolutely SUCKED but I've broken in enough manuals to know that it takes a while for both the new vehicle and the driver to settle in. The more I drive, the better it feels, and the last 100 miles have been relatively smooth, not sports car smooth, but it's a Jeep so I wasn't quite sure what to expect having never owned one before. Much of it is my own learning curve, transitioning from a Mini Cooper Convertible (6 speed manual) to a Jeep Rubicon is quite the change! Perhaps give it some time, and if you still hate it, and service can't fix it, then you can always trade for an automatic?

SecondTJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Four Wheeler was not happy with the manual on its JT test drive (with the same 6-speed setup as JL)

"For one, we are incredibly disappointed to report that the six-speed manual transmission is a total letdown. As fans and advocates of saving the manual transmission, the Gladiator isn’t doing our cause any favors. With absolutely no feel in the clutch friction zone, it is difficult to modulate in technical terrain and takes some time to drive it smoothly on the street."

http://www.fourwheeler.com/news/190...2B8752C3C9EAB9BD0D846B59DAEE042F515CB71886E6D

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
Much ado about nothing. Drive it for 10,000 miles and report back. Clutch is just fine. Best manual the Wrangler has ever seen.

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
And I feel like anyone saying "this is the best manual to date" is nothing but a car and driver fan boy.
It's completely pathetic, no feedback, no feel, and a stiff breeze could probably payp the clutch to the floor
Call me slow, but... isn't that kind of the point??

Engineers went to great lengths to make the manual transmission smooth as silk with light pedal effort that won't wear your leg out after a day in city traffic or an offroad trail. Sounds like they accomplished exactly what they were going for.

All I know is, it can't possibly be worse than the NSG transmission in the JKs. I've been driving manuals for 25 years and the JK manual was terrible. Just plain terrible.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
Also I got the "all terrain" tire option which turned off to be piece of crap Bridgestone highway tires with a "rugged" looking sidewall. Why the hell did they stop putting bfg at ko2 on these?
BFGs are on the Rubicon, but believe it or not the Bridgestone and the Goodyear all terrains are in fact all terrain tires. Just not KO2s...

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
So I haven't driven a manual transmission JL, but I have driven a 2017 Ram 2500 manual... It shifted much easier and the clutch was much lighter than any of my previous manual transmission vehicles... I think its better to be able to get it in gear on the first try, instead of somehow grinding even though the clutch is all the way in and having to shove the shifter in my Dakota just to get it in gear...

SecondTJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
BFGs are on the Rubicon, but believe it or not the Bridgestone and the Goodyear all terrains are in fact all terrain tires. Just not KO2s...
Based on his screen name, "JK to JL" I'm guessing that he ordered his JK with the package that came with the BFG KO2's and just assumed it would be the same tire for the JL

Jeeper Fever

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Si Coupe, 2-Door Manual JLR
Based on his screen name, "JK to JL" I'm guessing that he ordered his JK with the package that came with the BFG KO2's and just assumed it would be the same tire for the JL
Given all the Rubis with aftermarket wheels and tires, there should be a flood of Rubi take offs with KO2s floating around. Although I do hear they move quick.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Four Wheeler was not happy with the manual on its JT test drive (with the same 6-speed setup as JL)

"For one, we are incredibly disappointed to report that the six-speed manual transmission is a total letdown. As fans and advocates of saving the manual transmission, the Gladiator isn’t doing our cause any favors. With absolutely no feel in the clutch friction zone, it is difficult to modulate in technical terrain and takes some time to drive it smoothly on the street."

http://www.fourwheeler.com/news/190...2B8752C3C9EAB9BD0D846B59DAEE042F515CB71886E6D
Those guys are already on record as not knowing how to drive a manual. They stalled them repeatedly in New Zealand, remember? I didn't stall mine one single time in Moab. Not even close. Millenials can't drive a stick. Only paddle shifters with no clutch. I've not stalled it once in the 17,433 miles I've owned it. Again, not even close calls. The feel is as good as my brother's Camaro ZL1 clutch. Find a better clutch than that one and I'll be shocked. Btw, he agrees with me on my JL's clutch being excellent.
Sponsored