Sponsored

Discount pricing - Order vs Off the Lot

ziff73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR & 2013 BMW M5 (former)
Looks like the target is to get >= 5% off of invoice pricing. Should we expect similar results when ordering vs buying off the lot?

looking at JLUR fairly optioned out.
Description Code
Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon JLJS74
3.6L V6 Engine – 8-SPD Auto 24R
8.4" RADIO AND PREMIUM AUDIO GROUP AEK
ADVANCED SAFETY GROUP ALP
ALPINE PREMIUM AUDIO SYSTEM RC4 (included with AEK)
COLD WEATHER GROUP ADE
PREMIUM BLACK SUNRIDER SOFT TOP STB
LED LIGHTING GROUP AD6
REMOTE PROXIMITY KEYLESS ENTRY GXD
REMOTE START SYSTEM XBM (included with ADE)
SAFETY GROUP (w/ AD6) AJ1
TRAILER TOW AND HD ELECTRICAL GROUP ADH
LEATHER TRIMMED BUCKET SEATS (Black) ALX9
OCEAN BLUE METALLIC C/C PBM

thx
Sponsored

Last edited:

JeepDrvr2018

First Name
Montgomery
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Occupation
Retired Master Certified RV Tech
As an aside, we looked at a Gladiator PU the other day when JK was in for some service. Wow, what a cool truck, got extra storage under back seat, so we talked about trading both cars in for one of those. The dealer only sells MSRP Sticker, since that is not going to happen to me. I told him no, and will talk to Dave Smith in Kellogg, ID. We don't need it this year anyway, so that can wait until the economy starts to falter a bit, and the dealers are stuck with them and no one can spend money to buy. Then I will get the deal we want, I don't want to pay over about 48-50K for one tricked out like I want. Not the 62+K on the sticker price of the one we saw.

Carlton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps lots of jeeps
With such a specific list of options you want, I think ordering would be the way to go. Off the lot may be missing options or have extras that you do not want.

Most people on the foru. Tend to order. However if you can fund what you want on the lot go for it.

Remember the prices that you see on the forums are the best deals in the country. The majority of dealerships will not touch them. Worth a shot seeing what local dealers will do however.

GeauxGuy

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep Wrangler JK/2007 F250 King Ranch
Occupation
CNC Machinist/Fabricator
I got lucky looking for my wife's JL, dealers price was set. 7% below invoice, after I built the exact Jeep with the spreadsheet. Maxwells in Austin

COSJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 WK2, 2019 JLR?
@ziff73 If you do not need the Jeep right away, I personally would wait a couple of months and order a 2020. Dealers around here won't do 5% below invoice on 2019's on the lot. They will on factory orders. On 2018's you could get a much deeper discount, but you get 2 years of depreciation in like 3 months. You could order a 2019, but you may start seeing 2020's soon after you get yours. For example, my 2015 GC has a build date of late October 2015. It is newer that many 2016 model year vehicles, but is still a 2015 for depreciation. It doesn't bother me as I specifically wanted to avoid ESS which they introduced in 2016.

Sponsored

OP
OP

ziff73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fair point on MY2020. Wonder how long till order banks open?

COSJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 WK2, 2019 JLR?
Fair point on MY2020. Wonder how long till order banks open?
I do not know, but there was a production calendar published in this forum sometime back that said they will start 2020 builds late July. If that is the case order banks should open late June or early July.

OP
OP

ziff73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Update: spoke with different local dealer. Said would do 5% off invoice on either 2019 OR 2020 order!

They are asking for a $300 deposit on the order when placed.

Question is, can I hold out ~ a month or two for 2020 order banks!?!?!

5% isn’t the low I’ve seen on this board, however think decent for the area and there was ZERO haggle.

Sippican

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Vehicle Showcase
anything sitting on the lot over a calendar year can be a good deal. 1) because the % will be greater to move the Jeep, 2) You get a low milage Jeep. I bought a 2018 JL in 2019. MSRP was 53K, because it was a 2019, I got for 44K, plus, it didn't have the trailer hitch, got them to throw it in. More importantly, I have a 2018 Jeep with 25 miles.Going forward, if I do average miles, I will always have a low milage Jeep. If you buy a 2020 in July of 2019, you will always have a high milage car which is not good for resale value.

Surfinjoe

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma Pro
Update: spoke with different local dealer. Said would do 5% off invoice on either 2019 OR 2020 order!

They are asking for a $300 deposit on the order when placed.

Question is, can I hold out ~ a month or two for 2020 order banks!?!?!

5% isn’t the low I’ve seen on this board, however think decent for the area and there was ZERO haggle.
Are you in Houston? Dealer as well? Sounds like a good deal, I may join ya.

Sponsored

multicam

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4Runner, 2019 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
anything sitting on the lot over a calendar year can be a good deal. 1) because the % will be greater to move the Jeep, 2) You get a low milage Jeep. I bought a 2018 JL in 2019. MSRP was 53K, because it was a 2019, I got for 44K, plus, it didn't have the trailer hitch, got them to throw it in. More importantly, I have a 2018 Jeep with 25 miles. Going forward, if I do average miles, I will always have a low milage Jeep. If you buy a 2020 in July of 2019, you will always have a high milage car which is not good for resale value.
Not sure I understand the logic here. If you drive average mileage every year, won’t you have an average mileage jeep regardless of when you bought it? I know you’re saying yours will be low mileage relative to other 2018’s because you started driving it “late” for an ‘18, but as far as resale goes if his is a 2020 then that difference would be offset by the fact that it’s a ‘20 vs. a ‘19. In other words, he could buy a ‘19 now and it would be “low mileage” but if he bought a ‘20 it would also be one year newer whenever he goes to sell it...

RubiJR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR and 1992 Suzuki Sidekick
When I was doing my price shopping it was a bigger discount off the lot than the order. Always remember any deal is the best deal if you are happy with it. Someone will always get a better deal so if you worry about that you will not be happy. The longer you look for that great deal the longer you are not using what you purchase and there is only your subjective value loss or add. How much is it worth if I buy a Jeep this year and you buy one next year. I would have received the benefit of fun for a whole year - what's it worth?

HealthRebel

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLRU Ocean Blue
Looks like the target is to get >= 5% off of invoice pricing. Should we expect similar results when ordering vs buying off the lot?
One thing about ordering is you can just call or email several dealers and see who will order it at the price you want. They don't have to look around at other dealers for what you want and try and decide what they can trade for it, etc. With a new order there really is no issues with inventory limits and storage/parking issues. For them, it comes in and is out the door quickly.

slm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ordered JL Sahara

looking at JLUR fairly optioned out.
Description Code
Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon JLJS74
3.6L V6 Engine – 8-SPD Auto 24R
8.4" RADIO AND PREMIUM AUDIO GROUP AEK
ADVANCED SAFETY GROUP ALP
ALPINE PREMIUM AUDIO SYSTEM RC4 (included with AEK)
COLD WEATHER GROUP ADE
PREMIUM BLACK SUNRIDER SOFT TOP STB
LED LIGHTING GROUP AD6
REMOTE PROXIMITY KEYLESS ENTRY GXD
REMOTE START SYSTEM XBM (included with ADE)
SAFETY GROUP (w/ AD6) AJ1
TRAILER TOW AND HD ELECTRICAL GROUP ADH
LEATHER TRIMMED BUCKET SEATS (Black) ALX9
OCEAN BLUE METALLIC C/C PBM.

thx
I ordered from Neil Carpenter at Demontrond in Conroe. He will give you 6% off invoice but if you do Tread Lightly he'll give you 7% off. He also throws in a lifetime powertrain warranty. I ordered 5/31. He put everything in writing and all the numbers match the invoice I've seen on the forum. I haven't picked up yet but am not expecting any problems. Many people on the forum ordered through him. You need to mention you saw it here.
Sponsored