Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
  • Banned
...not as easy as simply disconnecting the leads to "the" battery, as "the" battery, as many of you know, isn't the only battery in the JL. There's a secondary smaller one for the ESS system;

I wonder how you know that this smaller battery needs replacement? Is it a general power problem diagnostic code that then, by ruling out the main battery as culprit, finds you replacing the smaller one?

Is this some standard motorcycle like battery?
Sponsored

Last edited:

Specter491

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Wranlger JL Sport S
I'm curious how such a dinky battery can power the screen, lights, premium audio, A/C, etc when ESS is active. That seems like a lot of draw on that little battery

OP
OP

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
  • Banned
I'm curious how such a dinky battery can power the screen, lights, premium audio, A/C, etc when ESS is active. That seems like a lot of draw on that little battery
Wouldn't this battery be supplementing but not powering these things to the exclusion of the main battery?

Plus, I think I read about an algorithm where the engine doesn't shut off at stops during certain load and draw situations.

(I just don't know)

RonAZ

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Where is the isolation that allows one battery to run electronics and one to provide starting current? Looks to me like they are connected together at the main battery. My JL is still in "shipping" so I can't research for myself.

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
It is a quite interesting topic, and a potential safety issue for those of us who work on our own stuff at home. I would advise anyone who owns a JL to study the new setup. It would also be good to invest in a multi-meter if you don't have one and learn how to use it. There are some good videos on YouTube if you're just trying to get started. You'll be able to verify complete voltage loss before working on your Jeep.
Sponsored