Disaster Yesterday with lift

blessidsoul12

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 billet silver JLUR, 2019 chevy suburban
Yeah ball joint click is pretty ubiquitous. Many past threads about it. From inside I could only hear mine in parking garages, but outside if my wife was driving it was very loud. Kind of a "popping/snap" sound...
Sponsored

OP
OP

Spearmin

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Yeah ball joint click is pretty ubiquitous. Many past threads about it. From inside I could only hear mine in parking garages, but outside if my wife was driving it was very loud. Kind of a "popping/snap" sound...
That's the exact sound. You can easily hear it, if your inside a structure while driving it. Otherwise, you have to be standing outside the vehicle to hear it. I went to the dealer and to be honest the thing wouldn't make the freakin noise. I drove it, they drove it, no noise. So they said well lets us take a look at it anyway. After about 30 min I was told "We could not find, or reproduce the noise you described". So just before leaving, I said to the service manager can we try to reproduce one more time. Low and behold, it made the noise, the service manager called out the tech and had him listed and it was definitely there. I had to leave, but rescheduled an alldayer for the upcoming Monday.... Bummer, but I will insist on the ball joint issue for sure thanks you guys.

OP
OP

Spearmin

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
This is the exact noise. Not my jeep I pulled this off another thread but noise is the same.\

JLRyder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS
Got the same lift, and it did the same thing but only after going forward from reverse, and then only clicking maybe three times. Then stops, pulled the axle back down re adjusted and gone. I know you took the lift back off but still check these things. Look at your sway bar end links, are they angled in any way (like noticeable). Check the springs, might sound crazy but I believe they are side specific and make sure they are clocked correctly.

blessidsoul12

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 billet silver JLUR, 2019 chevy suburban
This is the exact noise. Not my jeep I pulled this off another thread but noise is the same.\

Yep, thats it. I made a video back in the day with mine as well. I hit the IGNORE button and it hasnt bothered me ever since.

Sponsored

korda

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL, 1970 CJ, 1962 Scout
Mine had it. I swear the ball joints on one side were slightly more than finger tight. Loosened all the ball joint nuts and retorqued them. It clicked once after that and hasn’t since. Real easy fix and 15 minutes with a wrench.

AltJL

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara Altitude
Vehicle Showcase
You might want to check the drag link. After my lift I had the same clicking noise when turning the wheels. It was the drag link. I retorqued all the bolts but still had the sound. It drove me crazy. I replaced it with a Steer Smarts Yeti and it not only got rid of the clicking sound but seriously tightened up the steering.

OP
OP

Spearmin

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Forgot to add that I have the exact same lift in my 2019 JLU an no issues.

aeonixx1001

First Name
Kim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JL
2.5" Should affect anything, I am curious as hell. Its an LSD not Lockers, right? Does it sound like its deep in the Differential or more out by the wheel?

Macaw1

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Rubi on 1 tons and 40's
I wouldn't call that a disaster by any means... Don't be a Karen!

Sponsored

OP
OP

Spearmin

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
2.5" Should affect anything, I am curious as hell. Its an LSD not Lockers, right? Does it sound like its deep in the Differential or more out by the wheel?
Sounds like it's by the wheels. Took it to the dealer yesterday and they found nothing. They said it could be the bearings,so they are will be replacing those. This sound like they are grasping at straws to me.

aeonixx1001

First Name
Kim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JL
OMG If the Dealer cant just listen to it and tell you what it is with at least 95% certainty, I would take it someplace else. If it is under warranty, no big deal. Let them replace every damn thing in the front end( as long as your not paying) You know they are going to find out it was something stupid. (quick story) My Brother bought a brand new Chevrolet truck a few years back. He said when he gave it the gas to speed up it made a clanking sound very fast almost a clicking. Dealer was stumped he had it in 3 times. Finally my other brother and I had, had enough. And this will astound you. We put it up on blocks, climbed underneath and found the issue within 2 minutes. The rear U joint was so bad that when it spun it wasn't balanced and was touching the tail pipe every time that one lobe come around. He took it in and they replaced the drive line (something just wasn't right) and bent the tail pipe out of the way and Viola! No more noise.
Sponsored