Disaster Yesterday with lift

Spearmin

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
So yesterday I went to have my 2.5 Teraflex spacer lift kit installed on my Nacho with 1,200 miles. Everything was going good, and the reputable custom shop was was done by 1pm. As The owner is pulling my Jeep out for us to go to for a test ride (I'm standing outside of the Jeep), I hear a clicking sound as he has the wheels turned. The sound was coming from the front suspension, and was similar to the sound you hear when a vehicle's steering rack is going bad. The shop couldn't figure it out, they went over every bolt that they had touched and re-torqued everything. Long story short, they ended up pulling the entire kit out and putting my stock parts back in. We tested again, when it was back to stock, and the clicking was still there. I can swear to you that I have never heard that noise before bringing it there. On the same coin though, I have never stood outside of my Jeep while someone else drove it. I dunno.....
Sponsored

OP
OP

Spearmin

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Yeap, I"m taking it in today.

cOtter

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 Sahara 2.0L Ocean Blue Metallic, Toyota Highlander & Pontiac G6 coupe
Occupation
Senior Manager PM (Automotive OEM)

Sponsored

intentsrig

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sporticon
Is it the ball joint clicking noise that everyone has? Happens when you turn the wheels and in reverse usually but can happen going forward. Can be fairly loud.

dpereira

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sahara
is it a consistent "rotational" knocking? if so i have had the same issue since i lifted mine about 2 years ago and have yet to find the cause after multiple trips to the dealer (every time i was given a different reason for it). i figured something would break and then id know since i didnt want to spend thousands on parts that are not the issue but nothing has broke or gotten worse after 30K+ miles, just very annoying to hear/feel it every day.

i did read something about this being a common issue for people with the anti-spin option which i do have but my dealer always denied it was issue. i will be going to a new dealer soon, hopefully they will be better at finding the cause.

Note: i never expected anything to be done under warranty but my dealer did not understand that when i told said it and continued to be assholes since im young (dash cam caught them talking shit). anyone from NJ should refrain from going to Global Auto Mall.

hopefully you will have better luck at your dealer/shop, i will definitely will follow this thread

OP
OP

Spearmin

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Is it the ball joint clicking noise that everyone has? Happens when you turn the wheels and in reverse usually but can happen going forward. Can be fairly loud.
Yeah its that sound... same as when a steering rack is going bad.

Carolina Jeeper

First Name
Rollie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Electronics Technician at R. J. Reynolds
A rock or other hard object stuck in the tire tread can make click sounds when the vehicle is moving. Check the easy free stuff first.

Sponsored

oldcjguy

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Challenger Hellcat, 19 Challenger Scatpack, 20 JLUR Recon
Occupation
Software Engineer
is it a consistent "rotational" knocking? if so i have had the same issue since i lifted mine about 2 years ago and have yet to find the cause after multiple trips to the dealer (every time i was given a different reason for it). i figured something would break and then id know since i didnt want to spend thousands on parts that are not the issue but nothing has broke or gotten worse after 30K+ miles, just very annoying to hear/feel it every day.

i did read something about this being a common issue for people with the anti-spin option which i do have but my dealer always denied it was issue. i will be going to a new dealer soon, hopefully they will be better at finding the cause.

Note: i never expected anything to be done under warranty but my dealer did not understand that when i told said it and continued to be assholes since im young (dash cam caught them talking shit). anyone from NJ should refrain from going to Global Auto Mall.

hopefully you will have better luck at your dealer/shop, i will definitely will follow this thread
For this, if you have the anti-spin option, get the diff oil changed and make sure you add the limited slip additive. Then go into a parking lot and drive in several tight figure 8s. This will work the lube into the area between the clutches.

That noise you are hearing is probably clutch chatter from the clutches in the diff as they "skip" against each other when differentiating.

OP
OP

Spearmin

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
A rock or other hard object stuck in the tire tread can make click sounds when the vehicle is moving. Check the easy free stuff first.
Not that kind of clicking...more like a joint clicking or being dry.....

Biconia

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL
Vehicle Showcase
if the noise is coming from front check the ball joints upper and lower
as other member mention on this i did re-torque all 4 front ball joints
noise is gone after re-torque

good luck mate !