Disappointment slowly creeping in

Jeeptimus Prime

First Name
Bryant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JKUR
That is my only concern as well. Just had that happen to me this past Jan. in a Focus and the only reason my right arm and head didn't bounce off of the Ecoline's bumper was the side impact bag. And no, I never saw it coming. But, hey...I look on the bright side...that wreck is financing my JL purchase! Not quite sure it was worth it, tho...
I had thoughts about placing some sort of thick pad on the B pillar. Of course I forget until now and will most likely forget in a few minutes to search Amazon...oh hell...doing it now!!!

OK...hmmm????
https://www.amazon.com/SoftTouch-Se...UTF8&qid=1510176819&sr=8-1&keywords=pad+strip

https://www.amazon.com/Density-Adhe..._rd_wg=yWmmT&refRID=AE9HV4HMZR7E2YCHA9RS&th=1

I am aware of the airbag pods built into the Jk and more so on the JL seats. For those without though...
Sponsored

Last edited:

RonH

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Ford F-150, 2018 Granite Crystal Metalic JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Retired AF, Now Field Engineer / Site Manager
Vehicle Showcase
I had thoughts about placing some sort of thick pad on the B pillar. Of course I forget until now and will most likely forget in a few minutes to search Amazon...oh hell...doing it now!!!

OK...hmmm????
https://www.amazon.com/SoftTouch-Se...UTF8&qid=1510176819&sr=8-1&keywords=pad+strip

https://www.amazon.com/Density-Adhe..._rd_wg=yWmmT&refRID=AE9HV4HMZR7E2YCHA9RS&th=1

I am aware of the airbag pods built into the Jk and more so on the JL seats. For those without though...
Well, those wouldn't have stopped the front end of the van from entering the passenger side of the car. Honestly, I'm not sure anything would have. Never saw it coming...just driving home from work and, WHAM! She blew through a stop sign. The side curtains saved my life, I'm convinced. Just glad the wife and son weren't with me. Hopefully, the JLU will, since it has a bit more mass, keep all of us protected...

Leftovers of the Focus

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
Hopefully, the JLU will, since it has a bit more mass, keep all of us protected...
Get the enhanced Rubi rock rails, and then see what add ons they offer there too.

I have the ACE Engineering Rails which go overtop of (technically under) the Rubi rails, so doubling up. They also work as a step, and offer some protection for the rear door hinges from rocks & debris.

You can also easily remove and move to next Wrangler, when you upgrade.

Still hoping the mounting points are same Jk to JL, though they were only $500 CDN so no big deal to re-buy new.

1B77547E-C190-456D-935D-FB2A9EB451A0.jpeg

AVENTUS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 750li sport
Flat hood neutralizes any modernity gains made by raked windshield.

This new design is not an evolutionary step forward.

It is stasis at best.
The fenders and hood angle look more dated than JKU, sadly

Windshield, headlamps, air vents around engine bay, 8.4" Uconnect, lowering spare and increasing size of windows all around, and being able to ride 33-35's with stock suspension are all great steps forward.

But the overall hyper conservative styling of old fart Mark Allen, seen on many elements of this "all new" JLU is hurting this launch with many buyers under 35. Fearfully catering to ONLY your most loyal demographic is just poor business. Grow the brand, people !

Get him out and get a better man for the job in there, FCA.

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU

It is stasis at best.

Windshield, headlamps, air vents around engine bay, 8.4" Uconnect, lowering spare and increasing size of windows all around, and being able to ride 33-35's with stock suspension are all great steps forward.

But the overall hyper conservative styling of old fart Mark Allen, seen on many elements of this "all new" JLU is hurting this launch with many buyers under 35. Fearfully catering to ONLY your most loyal demographic is just poor business. Grow the brand, people !

Swing and a miss.

Sponsored

Jason

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR StingGray

It is stasis at best.

5c2.jpg

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Unless you are an aerodynamic engineer that worked on this desgin, you really don't know how it works in the wind tunnel, especially compared to a JK.

Sounds like a Cherokee is just the ticket, if you are disappointed in the Wrangler.

I think they hit a home run. But, that's just my humble opinion, so take it for what its worth.

jkrod

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKU

It is stasis at best.

:no::no::no::no::no::headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang::devil::devil::devil::devil::devil::cwl::cwl::cwl::cwl::cwl:

wanderer

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlu rubicon. Surfboard. Bare feet, moose drawn air sled, Interstellar time warp space transport fighter
Occupation
Engineering Geologist
My jku was tboned by a sequoia years ago. the sequoia had more damage wa smore costly to fix. They were hurt we were not. I just had the every basic rock rails that came on the jeep. With good side bars you willbe better off.

SS_Syndicate

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Website
sevenslotsyndicate.com
Vehicle(s)
'13-JKUR, '16 KL Cherokee, '17 4-Runner, '67 Kaiser M715
Occupation
Engineer, Blogger, Vlogger
[SNIP]
Sounds like a Cherokee is just the ticket, if you are disappointed in the Wrangler.
We have a JKU-R and had a JK but sold it for a KL Cherokee Trailhawk. It employs voodoo and snake oil when on the trial, but if you can get a tire on it you are going over it... It's actually pretty amazing.

Sadly, we are looking at either a JL or JT to replace it as it's economy is no better than our '13 JKU with 5.13 gears and 37s... Yep, you read that right.... It's sweet spot on economy is at 55-60. Jump on the interstate (70) and we average the same economy as our JKU. Put our overland trailer on the hook and the JKU pulls BETTER! :facepalm:

Sponsored

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Unless you are an aerodynamic engineer that worked on this desgin, you really don't know how it works in the wind tunnel, especially compared to a JK.

I think they hit a home run. But, that's just my humble opinion, so take it for what its worth.
I’ve said more than once he’s shopping for the wrong vehicle.

Amalm

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Jeep TJ Rubicon
The industrial design of a Jeep, like the design of a porsche 911, is timeless. :involve: It’s instantly recognizable around the globe. It doesn’t follow trends. Form follows function and a Jeep is not an efficient commuter vehicle; it’s an offroad utility truck! Yes, it has a lot more amenities these days, but its heart pumps mud and it’s knuckles bear offroad tires!

Hey it’s not for everyone and it’s ok if you’re in that camp. Like someone already mentioned there are other options if you’re looking for something with more “modernity” to use your word :facepalm:

TTEChris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tankcustoms.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTD & 2021 4XE
Vehicle Showcase
I would assume that anyone that says the JL isn't modern has never owned a Jeep. From what I've seen of the loaded JL's they have everything I would want from a "modern" car. I don't really care for the blind spot monitoring, or the collision alert systems that hit the brakes for you(My wife had an explorer with that and it was terrible.) The 8.4" U Connect system looks to be outstanding as far as "modern" connectivity and entertainment is concerned. For me other than the connectivity, I prefer my Jeep to be as simple and rugged as possible.
When it comes to the looks, I think they did just enough(To me the extended straightened hood give it a much more aggressive appearance than the JK.) Sure they could probably make it much more aerodynamic, but then the Jeep would lose a lot of its character and iconic shape that has made it so popular.
I'm sure gas mileage is something that is somewhere in the back of every car owners mind. But give me a Hellcat Engine in a Wrangler that gets 11mpg over a more advanced/modern hybrid/electric any day.

I work on a lot of "modern" European cars, and while they are nice to drive I would never own one outside of warranty. There are way too many computers and electronic components that are prone to failure. The Jeep has always been great for the DIY wrencher, and I hope it stays that way for a very long time. I don't want a weird electrical/computer failure to leave me stranded on a trail out in the middle of nowhere.

bilash31

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 JKU, '18 GC
modernity.
I could swear it was at least 6 months ago, on a different forum he swore he was done and buying a benz or BMW or some other car he wishes a jeep would be. Sadly, NO vehicle pleases everyone. Even more sad, AVENTUS has probably the most out of everyone on this forum who complains and yet is still here. Now that he knows he is not getting his dream jeep, maybe he will finally just move along. More realistically, his gf will probably just buy one and we will have to continue hearing how terrible it is every time he drives it...

randyp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
truck
unlike Harley Davidson with their recent redesign, I think Jeep played it a little too safe with the Wrangler.
Sponsored