Sponsored

Disappointment slowly creeping in

theplankeye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon Unlimited
Based on early photos with it down, I think the outside of the windshield wraps around the A-pillar, so you can’t mount anything on it.

17942FCA-1CF3-4FE1-BD84-9FCB3EFD5788.jpeg
Am I the only one that is excited that we can just fold out the windshield easily to clean it? Normally, cleaning a windshield feels like some bad yoga.

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR 392 XR, '21 JTR, '21 JLR, '09 JK
I'm just hoping I can get a V6 JLU or JT, put 34" tires on it and get close to 20 mpg.
Assuming you keep everything stock, I think that would be doable. My 5.7 Hemi TJ with 33's, 4.10's, stock bumpers, 2" lift and soft top gets 17 mpg highway.

I'd imagine you'd lose 1 mpg tops going to 34's, assuming they stay inside the fenders, and the tires aren't super heavy. On my TJ I specifically stuck to 33's that were still somewhat light and P rated.

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My biggest disappointment so far is the hard top. They designed the soft top so your can remove the rear windows and still have the top up but didn't do it to the hard top that could actually make removing the hard top easier. I can't get that upset however as I'm a JTU buyer and not a JLU buyer.

Also the big thing for me is to see how these drive vs the JK. I want to see on road and off road reviews, as someone that will be 39 in a couple of months, I am starting to desire something with better hwy manners, especially since its my daily driver and I do more overland stuff then rock crawling.
SAME!!!! Getting old sure does suck doesn't it? Haha.

I think they're leaving things on the table for the mid-cycle refresh, like what happened in 2011/2012.

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Actually, a JKU has a lower fatality rate than the Ram 1500.

Average fatality rate per million vehicles in America is 30. The JKU is 27. The JK is 35. The Ram 1500 is anywhere from 29 for the 2wd Quad cab to 55 for the 4wd Quad cab with short bed. The stats only go back to 2002. The Jeep TJ fatality rate was 99.

Fatality rates are for driver only as that is the only constant.

http://www.iihs.org/iihs/topics/driver-death-rates
Whelp, you convinced me to stop driving my TJ day to day. 99???? Holy crap.

Sponsored

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
The only thing that's gonna be disappointing about the JL is the price. What I paid for my JKUR is probably going to cost $10k more for a similarly equipped JLUR.

Jeeptimus Prime

First Name
Bryant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JKUR
@ Wired - Glad you were able to walk away! My main concern with the JKs are side impacts and the lack of B pillar air bags. I am fairly tall and hope I see the car coming because my head would bounce off the B pillar buckle adjuster.

Besides that I am an FCA believer with what I have seen with the JL. I just hope it performs just as well as it looks!

My only gripe is the front fenders do look out of proportion but I know that is a function or fashion move so can deal.

RonH

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Ford F-150, 2018 Granite Crystal Metalic JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Retired AF, Now Field Engineer / Site Manager
Vehicle Showcase
@ Wired - Glad you were able to walk away! My main concern with the JKs are side impacts and the lack of B pillar air bags. I am fairly tall and hope I see the car coming because my head would bounce off the B pillar buckle adjuster.
That is my only concern as well. Just had that happen to me this past Jan. in a Focus and the only reason my right arm and head didn't bounce off of the Ecoline's bumper was the side impact bag. And no, I never saw it coming. But, hey...I look on the bright side...that wreck is financing my JL purchase! Not quite sure it was worth it, tho...

wired

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Red with soft top
Thanks Jeeptimus Prime. My head did hit the B Pillar as the Jeep tumbled and I had a concussion. While there are no side curtain airbags on the JL, there are side airbags that deploy from the seats. Hoping that will help prevent these injuries. (More hoping I never get to test that theory.)

My only disappointment in the JL is having to wait. Been Jeepless since the wreck. Renting a micro machine currently.

SCREAMER

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Recon
I feel disappointed with every new piece of information and every new pic released. I guess the JL just wasn’t designed or built for people like me. I can honestly see a few things here and there that look like improvements but they are few and far between. Putting signals in the fenders was a huge mistake. Keeping the fold down windshield was pointless and they didn’t even do it right. The new body lines and that character line down the side are awful. The new axles are lighter but weaker so 35s are a huge risk and 33s are a risk. The entire dash is vomit inducing and looks to be pulled straight out of a Fiat 500. I like that they moved reverse over next to first gear and put a lockout on it instead of next to 6th like it is on my JK. The cargo tiedowns look interesting. The new Rubi wheels look nice. 2 mpgs, meh.

I’ve heard many say that every new Wrangler model that comes out gets bashed just because of haters or it being the next new thing but I never felt that way. I grew up on Jeeps, real Jeeps. I’ve driven every model from the CJ5 until my current JK which is my second JK. I wasn’t extremely fond of the YJ as many were left scratching their heads about that one but I thought the TJ, LJ, And 2nd generation JK were major improvements. In my humble opinion JL designers, Jeep as a company, and the JL itself has lost its way. It’s trying to be too many things that it isn’t instead of just trying to be the one thing it is supposed to be, a street legal off road machine. If I wanted good gas mileage, a comfortable interior with shiny painted plastic, good infotainment, a quiet comfortable ride, etc., I have plenty of much better choices than a Wrangler. I want a Wrangler for what it can do in the dirt, not how it can best imitate a cheap Italian city runabout.

Sponsored

AZCrawl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Granite Jeep JLUR
I feel disappointed with every new piece of information and every new pic released. I guess the JL just wasn’t designed or built for people like me. I can honestly see a few things here and there that look like improvements but they are few and far between. Putting signals in the fenders was a huge mistake. Keeping the fold down windshield was pointless and they didn’t even do it right. The new body lines and that character line down the side are awful. The new axles are lighter but weaker so 35s are a huge risk and 33s are a risk. The entire dash is vomit inducing and looks to be pulled straight out of a Fiat 500. I like that they moved reverse over next to first gear and put a lockout on it instead of next to 6th like it is on my JK. The cargo tiedowns look interesting. The new Rubi wheels look nice. 2 mpgs, meh.

I’ve heard many say that every new Wrangler model that comes out gets bashed just because of haters or it being the next new thing but I never felt that way. I grew up on Jeeps, real Jeeps. I’ve driven every model from the CJ5 until my current JK which is my second JK. I wasn’t extremely fond of the YJ as many were left scratching their heads about that one but I thought the TJ, LJ, And 2nd generation JK were major improvements. In my humble opinion JL designers, Jeep as a company, and the JL itself has lost its way. It’s trying to be too many things that it isn’t instead of just trying to be the one thing it is supposed to be, a street legal off road machine. If I wanted good gas mileage, a comfortable interior with shiny painted plastic, good infotainment, a quiet comfortable ride, etc., I have plenty of much better choices than a Wrangler. I want a Wrangler for what it can do in the dirt, not how it can best imitate a cheap Italian city runabout.
Wow! Harsh! It is always amazing how two people can look at the same thing and have such different opinions. Since you obviously aren't getting a JL, what vehicle will meet your needs? Did you hate the JK too?

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
The nice thing about now, is back when I had my YJ it was the only game in town (a good Defender was a few years off), but now you can buy a car for your car stuff, and the an ATV for your wheeling that requires more than a Rubicon, and likely all combined for less than a base Rubi.

I’m happy with JL (other than no HEMI), but people who aren’t have more options elsewhere than ever before, so definitely 1st world problems.

SCREAMER

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Recon
I love both my JKs, my current one being a 2017 Recon 4 door. After seeing a lot of the info that was coming out previous to the JL’s official or many of its unofficial releases, I knew I needed to hurry up and order the last JK I could get before they were gone. Every new info release makes me happier with my decision. I know that the new JL will have a lot of fans and that’s great. I’m glad we are all getting or in my case have what we want.

BillyHW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
Wow! Harsh! It is always amazing how two people can look at the same thing and have such different opinions. Since you obviously aren't getting a JL, what vehicle will meet your needs? Did you hate the JK too?
Not just the JL and JK, but also ice cream and puppy dogs!

AZCrawl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Granite Jeep JLUR
I love both my JKs, my current one being a 2017 Recon 4 door. After seeing a lot of the info that was coming out previous to the JL’s official or many of its unofficial releases, I knew I needed to hurry up and order the last JK I could get before they were gone. Every new info release makes me happier with my decision. I know that the new JL will have a lot of fans and that’s great. I’m glad we are all getting or in my case have what we want.
Cool, glad you are a happy Jeeper!
Sponsored