Disappointed with Falcon Nexus 2.2 Steering Stabilizer

hardrock_sea

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKUR
I bought a Falcon Nexus 2.2 Steering Stabilizer recently and was very disappointed after installation.

The adjust knob was installed wrong out of factory. At the medium position, the medium text should face the front of the Jeep. Their customer service confirmed it was bolted on at the wrong angle and asked me to unbolt it and adjust it myself. If this is the only problem, I will be ok with adjusting it myself. But with all the settings, the steering is softer than stock and wanders around (I had no steering issue at all before this). I contacted their customer service to get a replacement, but they only offered repair and asked me to ship the unit back at my own expense which I found not acceptable with a new purchase and some obvious issue.

Has anyone run into similar issues and how was it resolved?

Jeep Wrangler JL Disappointed with Falcon Nexus 2.2 Steering Stabilizer 1624388765950

Jeep Wrangler JL Disappointed with Falcon Nexus 2.2 Steering Stabilizer 1624388857744
Sponsored

DHW

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
Occupation
Attorney
I did the exact same thing when installing mine. There is nothing wrong with the SS, something went wrong with the install. It's been quite a long time since I installed mine, but I remember calling Teraflex and they told me what to do to fix it. It was super simple, I just can't remember exactly what I did. I'll crawl under tonight and see if I can jog any memories.

Edit: Vague memories are popping up. I think you have to turn the entire rod with the switch 180 degrees. I remember unbolting it and turning the rod by hand using the bolt at the other end from the switch for leverage.

OP
OP
hardrock_sea

hardrock_sea

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKUR
Thank you for the quick response! Very helpful!

This is the answer I got from Teraflex:

"Judging from the pictures you sent, the red 3 position knob was installed when the shaft was rotated, so the firm setting is “soft” and soft setting is “firm” as a result of that. All that is needed it to unbolt the red 3 position knob and rotate it 180 degrees then re install it and it will correct that issue"​

It sounded like the knob was installed wrong from factory. Really hope it is something with my installation so that I don't need to deal with the RMA and put the stock back on while waiting for the repair.

Did you unbolt the tie rod end of the SS and rotate the shaft there?

I did the exact same thing when installing mine. There is nothing wrong with the SS, something went wrong with the install. It's been quite a long time since I installed mine, but I remember calling Teraflex and they told me what to do to fix it. It was super simple, I just can't remember exactly what I did. I'll crawl under tonight and see if I can jog any memories.

Edit: Vague memories are popping up. I think you have to turn the entire rod with the switch 180 degrees. I remember unbolting it and turning the rod by hand using the bolt at the other end from the switch for leverage.

DHW

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
Occupation
Attorney
Thank you for the quick response! Very helpful!

This is the answer I got from Teraflex:

"Judging from the pictures you sent, the red 3 position knob was installed when the shaft was rotated, so the firm setting is “soft” and soft setting is “firm” as a result of that. All that is needed it to unbolt the red 3 position knob and rotate it 180 degrees then re install it and it will correct that issue"​

It sounded like the knob was installed wrong from factory. Really hope it is something with my installation so that I don't need to deal with the RMA and put the stock back on while waiting for the repair.

Did you unbolt the tie rod end of the SS and rotate the shaft there?
Yes, I unbolted from the tie rod/passenger side and just twisted the rod 180. If the word "Medium" is upside down on yours now while it's facing backwards, that 180 twist should fix it. You shouldn't have to remove the knob. If that's the case, then currently when you see "Soft", it's actually on the "Firm" setting, and vice-versa.

Definitely try the 180 twist before removing the knob.

OP
OP
hardrock_sea

hardrock_sea

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKUR
Thank you so much! I unbolted the tie rod end and rotated the shaft! You are better than Teraflex support! It is working much better now! I will give it a couple of more days and see whether this completely resolved. Surprised that instructions and YouTube videos didn't mention this part.

Yes, I unbolted from the tie rod/passenger side and just twisted the rod 180. If the word "Medium" is upside down on yours now while it's facing backwards, that 180 twist should fix it. You shouldn't have to remove the knob. If that's the case, then currently when you see "Soft", it's actually on the "Firm" setting, and vice-versa.

Definitely try the 180 twist before removing the knob.

Sponsored

OP
OP
hardrock_sea

hardrock_sea

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKUR
After a couple of more days driving, I am not sure it is better than stock. My Jeep is a 2021 Rubicon unlimited with MetalCloak 2.5" lift, 37 BFG KO2. It drives and steers very well after lift. The only issue was when driving on high way with wind steering was a little loose. Some posts on the forum mentioned that Falcon SS can make the steering firmer, hence why I decided to give Falcon SS a try. Maybe with the updated steering box on 2021, stock SS is already good enough.

Anyone else tried a Falcon SS on a 2021 Rubicon?

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
After a couple of more days driving, I am not sure it is better than stock. My Jeep is a 2021 Rubicon unlimited with MetalCloak 2.5" lift, 37 BFG KO2. It drives and steers very well after lift. The only issue was when driving on high way with wind steering was a little loose. Some posts on the forum mentioned that Falcon SS can make the steering firmer, hence why I decided to give Falcon SS a try. Maybe with the updated steering box on 2021, stock SS is already good enough.

Anyone else tried a Falcon SS on a 2021 Rubicon?
What is your caster set at? My guess is it’s on the low side. Get your caster to 6.5-7° and I bet your wandering issues go away. The SS doesn’t fix anything, it only masks problems. Best practice is to dial in your suspension with the SS removed. Then when you reinstall it things are gravy.

Sponsored

OP
OP
hardrock_sea

hardrock_sea

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKUR
What is your caster set at? My guess is it’s on the low side. Get your caster to 6.5-7° and I bet your wandering issues go away. The SS doesn’t fix anything, it only masks problems. Best practice is to dial in your suspension with the SS removed. Then when you reinstall it things are gravy.
Thanks for the suggestion! I wasn't really trying to "fix" anything with the steering stabilizer. It steers well with the stock SS except on the highway with heavy wind. My friend's stock Rubicon had the same issue driving together. Given that a beefier SS could also reduce wear on various steering components with larger tires, I decided to give Falcon a try and maybe see some "improvement" :) . Interestingly enough, it didn't improve anything but felt worse than when the stock SS was used. Now my steering wheel is much looser. Could it have anything to do with the record-breaking temperature (100+) here in WA? What I don't understand is why the firmer Falcon SS will feel worse than stock SS.

As for caster, it is currently set to 5.3. The 4x4 shop which did the alignment refused to go any higher expressing concerns about front drive shaft. I will dial it to 6.0+ when I install a 1350 front drive shaft.

DHW

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
Occupation
Attorney
Thanks for the suggestion! I wasn't really trying to "fix" anything with the steering stabilizer. It steers well with the stock SS except on the highway with heavy wind. My friend's stock Rubicon had the same issue driving together. Given that a beefier SS could also reduce wear on various steering components with larger tires, I decided to give Falcon a try and maybe see some "improvement" :) . Interestingly enough, it didn't improve anything but felt worse than when the stock SS was used. Now my steering wheel is much looser. Could it have anything to do with the record-breaking temperature (100+) here in WA? What I don't understand is why the firmer Falcon SS will feel worse than stock SS.

As for caster, it is currently set to 5.3. The 4x4 shop which did the alignment refused to go any higher expressing concerns about front drive shaft. I will dial it to 6.0+ when I install a 1350 front drive shaft.
First, what year is the Jeep? Are you sure you have the steel steering box as opposed to the aluminum? What you are describing fits the issues I had before getting my box swapped, especially the looseness getting worse with heat. And that was with the Teraflex.

Second, what setting do you have the stabilizer on? Granted I had the original OEM SS, but I've had no issues with the Teraflex. Mine fits the descriptions, Soft is a bit softer than OEM, Medium is about the same as OEM, and Firm the wheel won't even self-center after turning because it's really stiff.

Edit: I saw in your earlier post you have a 2021. That should have the steel box.

OP
OP
hardrock_sea

hardrock_sea

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKUR
First, what year is the Jeep? Are you sure you have the steel steering box as opposed to the aluminum? What you are describing fits the issues I had before getting my box swapped, especially the looseness getting worse with heat. And that was with the Teraflex.

Second, what setting do you have the stabilizer on? Granted I had the original OEM SS, but I've had no issues with the Teraflex. Mine fits the descriptions, Soft is a bit softer than OEM, Medium is about the same as OEM, and Firm the wheel won't even self-center after turning because it's really stiff.

Edit: I saw in your earlier post you have a 2021. That should have the steel box.
Yeah, I have a 2021 and I just checked it has the steel steering box, the AB version.

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU

Couple things:

1. A steering stabilizer will have 0 effect on the life/wear of steering components.

2. The front drive shaft doesn't turn unless you're in 4wd due to the FAD. Setting the caster properly will have no ill effects on the front drive shaft. The only way you'll damage it is with extreme articulation.

Varilux

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Great thread- I wish it had been around months ago when I installed the same SS!
I ended up with the same solution, but it took me about 30 minutes of just looking at it (while drinking a beer) to hit upon the answer.

Simple solution once you know, but it is really freaky when you're installing it and the knob faces the wrong direction out of the box...
Sponsored