Sponsored

Disappointed My New JL Rubicon, Jeep Fixed!

pjs1inc

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Rubicon JL, 02 Viper, 03 GMC Truck
I was disappointed today with my new Jeep JL Rubicon 4 door.

I ordered it July 12th and it finally came in.

Went to pick it up today and the was not able to for the Mirror Passive safety light was on and wouldn't go of.

They are taking another mirror of another jeep to exchange it.

Not a good start for a brand new Jeep.

Bad omen or something??
Sponsored

TravisRogers

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Sahara
If a malfunctioning mirror light is giving you buyer's remorse about the whole car, buckle up because you've got a rough road ahead. Might want to take a Benzo before reading any more of this forum.

It's not uncommon for a brand new car to have a couple of small fixable issues like that. Check your tires – I'll bet they're massively overinflated, too. Dealerships are supposed to do a PDI to check for those little things before customer delivery and, often, a lot of that gets missed. I test drove three Wranglers and each one had a list of little things that needed to be addressed (scratches, broken seat levers, nonworking tail light, etc.).

Wranglers are flying off the lots with minimal effort, so Jeep dealers have become a tad complacent, IMO.

OP
OP
pjs1inc

pjs1inc

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If a malfunctioning mirror light is giving you buyer's remorse about the whole car, buckle up because you've got a rough road ahead. Might want to take a Benzo before reading any more of this forum.

It's not uncommon for a brand new car to have a couple of small fixable issues like that. Check your tires – I'll bet they're massively overinflated, too. Dealerships are supposed to do a PDI to check for those little things before customer delivery and, often, a lot of that gets missed. I test drove three Wranglers and each one had a list of little things that needed to be addressed (scratches, broken seat levers, nonworking tail light, etc.).

Wranglers are flying off the lots with minimal effort, so Jeep dealers have become a tad complacent, IMO.
I ordered and bought the Jeep for my wife. I'm just not use to having a brand new vehicle roll of the delivery truck and have a problem, even a minor problem. A 56K vehicle should be inspected better before it leaves the factory!

Bought an 02 Viper brand new and after 16 years still haven't had a problem with it. Same with my GMC Duramax truck and Mazda3

No buyers remorse, just ordered 18" Fuel wheels and BF Goodrich T/A KO 2 35x12.50R18 tires and NFab running boards for it!

Also bought new factory TPM Sensors from the Jeep place for the wheels! Pricey they were!

I'm excited to see what she will look like after the mods!

gurneyeagle

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Audi TT RS and 2017 Audi Q3

Sorry, I have to totally disagree with the bolded comment. Maybe for new Wranglers, but I haven't had a new car in the past 20 years, maybe more, that had a couple of small fixable issues. Besides the Wrangler, I'm looking at two other vehicles - both Japanese in origin, and neither appeared to have any issues. The power mirror didn't work on the JLU I test drove.

Totally unacceptable in this day and age, and based on some of the complaints pointed out on this site - although admittedly probably a very small portion of the Wrangler population - points to reliability issues down the road. In this case, a simple vanity mirror light wouldn't concern me, but some of the other electrical gremlins do.

Honestly, still on the fence about a Wrangler. My wife absolutely loves the new JLU, just drove it for the first time, but I'm reading quality issues I don't see on some of my other choices' sites.

Maybe they are just part of the character of the Jeep. Willing to accept that fact if true to a point.

Akbill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLUR
I wonder if this is another one of the issues that can be fixed by making sure all the fuses are fully inserted into the fuse box. Major problem with the quality control on that in factory.

Sponsored

VNT

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SRT Challenger, 2015 Hemi Overland, 02 WJ 4.7, 2000 Durango, PT Cruisers, 2018 Punkn Sahara 2020 OB Rubicon
Poor dealer prep, the technician should of caught that and they should of either fixed it or postponed your delivery/pickup.

Dealer is the last step and the techs are supposed to inspect and make sure everything is correct, you bought from a $hitty delaer

Bubba33

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 jeep wrangler Sahara JL
Poor dealer prep, the technician should of caught that and they should of either fixed it or postponed your delivery/pickup.

Dealer is the last step and the techs are supposed to inspect and make sure everything is correct, you bought from a $hitty delaer

Yup, bought a new 14 bighorn had 6 miles on it and the 8.4 had no audio.

Dabird

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
I bought a 2012 Traverse brand new that had a dead drivers side speaker. Brand new cars do have issues sometimes. They shouldn't, but it happens

CypressWrangler

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Sport S JLU
Jeep has sold over 150k Wranglers since January. There are bound to be a few issues here and there. This site has over 12k members and I would be that only 25% at the most have had a minor issue and even far less with a major issue. All manufactures have issue with brand new cars. I wont excuse bad steering or welding, but something minor like a mirror that does not work or something that is not widespread or could get jarred lose during transport is not a deal breaker to me.

gurneyeagle

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Audi TT RS and 2017 Audi Q3
Jeep has sold over 150k Wranglers since January. There are bound to be a few issues here and there. This site has over 12k members and I would be that only 25% at the most have had a minor issue and even far less with a major issue. All manufactures have issue with brand new cars. I wont excuse bad steering or welding, but something minor like a mirror that does not work or something that is not widespread or could get jarred lose during transport is not a deal breaker to me.
You make a great point that I attempted to allude to as well. Stuff happens, and the OP should not be turned off by something that minor.

I also agree that bad steering or welding should not be excused, nor is

Sponsored

TravisRogers

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Sahara
A 56K vehicle should be inspected better before it leaves the factory!
Absolutely agree with this. In fact, there's a whole lot that should be done on both the factory and dealership levels that isn't being done but don't get me started.

My buddy just picked up a $145K BMW with a dead infotainment system. My parents picked up a brand new Mercedes SUV and the rear window exploded on the way home (faulty installation). A coworker just picked up a new Ford F150 and the rear power window regulators didn't work. I picked up my Jeep and it was missing a life. So here I am, utterly alone.

ToolMan514

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon 4xe
My 2008 Chevy Colorado had tons of electrical issues for years that finally got resolved when a routine procedure "fixed" them properly. None of those problems changed how much I enjoyed that pickup, and nothing as simple as a bad connector or bad sensor will change how much I enjoy my Rubicon! Bring it on!

OP
OP
pjs1inc

pjs1inc

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

I can't say it was the dealers fault, bought it from Hendrick Automotive Group and so far great customer service and the best price I could find on a Wrangler Jl Rubicon.

:)

Last edited:

kre62

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Granite
Every new car I've ever had has small issues from day 1. I usually collect a list of stuff I want fixed and bring it to the dealer for first service. Ive owned BMW, Jeep, Land Rover, Infiniti - all had some kind of issue.

Wanderingwheelz

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport

My experience couldn’t be/have been any different than what this member described. I do have a couple spots where the paint could be better but it’s a Jeep Wrangler not a Porsche GT3.

It’s true that tire pressure is often wrong on cars on the lot, since flat spots can be a problem with cars that don’t get driven for stretches. But that’s so easily rectified I can’t even believe it’s mentioned as a flaw of Wranglers. But do keep that in mind during a test drive- because over inflated tires will affect the way a car handles.
Sponsored