Sponsored

Disappointed in initial Quality

Grimm_E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Unlimited Rubicon
I have the same problem. Did they end up fixing it quickly? If I knew exactly what I was looking for I would just go to a hardware store and get a similar clip and save myself the hassle of having it repaired by the dealer
I pulled in, they saw what was missing and got the part and snapped it on while I stood there watching them. It took all of 10 min, and most of that was waiting for the guy to pull the part from the back room. It took 10 seconds to attach the clip.

The part costs between $4 and $5 but if you go to the dealer it is under warranty so it is free. So if the time and the hassle of going to the dealer is too much it may be worth the money. It just pops on with no tools needed.
Sponsored

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1992 YJ...2018 Rubicon JL...1968 Camaro convertible
Even w/i Chrysler, Jeep isn’t Chrysler or Dodge (or Ram, which is really just the other half of Dodge), and especially not Fiat. The only paired product from Toledo was the Nitro.

With dealers, different story. They rep all four US lines, with Fiat dealers being separate sites, but usually owned by the largest regional CDJR dealer. Each CDJR dealer is going to have its own service tendencies while working w/i the constraints of warranty agreements.

Dealers aren’t the automaker and often are in conflict with them. Automakers don’t trust them and they think the automakers are stupid. They have to work together because it’s in both of their best interests, but it’s strained.
I just joined this forum after buying a JL Rubicon though I have visited the forum for issues pertaining to my 92YJ...I normally see a lot of whinny kinda bratty people that don’t have a clue as to how cars are engineered, built, serviced and the complex relationships between all parties...Not being judgmental but understanding that most people speak from emotion and not knowledge so I do understand. But you my friend have taught everyone who doesn’t know a very very insightful view of the basics on the relationships...Let’s just say I’ve been in the industry for 26 years and I truly understand...YOU NAILED IT...

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1992 YJ...2018 Rubicon JL...1968 Camaro convertible
Okay I have a new one. My JL wrangler unlimited rubicon was doing great. Then one day I was driving over 50mph and there was a strange noise coming from the wheel well from the driver side. It sounded like that air was caught behind some piece of plastic but I was not sure. Then I did not hear it for days, and then it happened again. But it was so intermittent, I did not know how I was going to get the dealer to reproduce it. Finally I was taking a friend to the airport and it happened on the way out, but under the exact same conditions (speed and location) it did not happen. That's when it was clear, that it only happened at speed with a direct headwind.

I looked at the wheel wells and compared the how the plastic, that makes up the well, was seated. Turns out that the passenger side, the well is perfectly seated into the front bumper of the jeep. On the driver side it is not seated at all.

I looked to see if a clip or screw was missing, but then I notice that they (the factory) had bolted the plastic well out of position, so it would not seat at all. My assumption is this is the source of the strange noise. I am trying to get into the dealer but it has been tough to get an appointment. I may have to choose a different dealership service department. I have had this jeep for just under a month.

I guarantee I am going to take plenty of pics, and that I will not leave the dealer until I see the old well and have the new well put in properly. I will not accept them unscrewing the bolt and seating the existing well to the proper place with an extraneous bolt hole in it.

Before you take delivery on your JL, make sure to look at the front wheel wells carefully.

I do not have time right now because of work, but I will follow up with pics later.
Believe it or not...These kinda of issues are going to be very common on all new JL’s...It simply comes from the fact that it’s a new vehicle and the person who puts that part on could’ve not been at work and it can be a finicky firmest that requires the regular tech...It may have been repaired by a tech who doesn’t know how to put it together correctly after it left the workstation...The are also issues like Rubicon’s (because it’s a higher the highest end models) don’t run as many vehicles per hour so techs aren’t really good at putting the money together on the areas where where they differ from a lower end higher production model like a Sport...I will tell you what I’m doing, I am going over my truck myself with a fine tooth comb checking connectors, trim pieces, torque on certain fasteners...It’s just necessary with a new vehicle...The trucks will get better and better...The good thing is the motor and trans is tried and proven...Now..THOSE TURBO GUYS ARE GONNA HAVE ISSUES...and the Diesels to a lesser extent...

Torero

First Name
J. Diego
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon, FJ Cruiser, BMW Z3, F650,GL63 AMG, STI
I've been a Jeep owner all my life. Let's be honest, Jeeps are junk, pretty much the biggest POS mechanically you can buy (well except for LandRovers). We don't buy them for their reliability. It's more about fun. Just get the extended warranty and it's fine.
I’ve had more cars than I can remember. Some have had issues, nothing major. But I don’t remember ever being left stranded on the side of the road. Worst case has been the thing not starting in the parking lot. Maybe I am spoiled by my extraordinary good luck. Oh, and you said Land Rovers are worst. Well my first car was a Land Rover 1970 in 1981. Have had three Range Rovers and one Dicovery. Never stranded on the side of the road. Broke a couple of axles in the LR, not an issue, shift to 4x4 and keep going (floating axles).
I love my new Jeep. 2000 miles so far and flawless. I’ll forgive it many things but letting me stranded on a busy highway will happen only once. In today’s day and age that’s inexcusable.
So my affair with the Jeep May be short lived, but hope you are wrong.
Sponsored