• Watchers 6

DDXDesign

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUSS
We’ll agree to disagree. It’s not a pissing contest, this is a discussion forum and I appreciate the discussion.
Hey Strommen - interesting about the shift points since so many people have said that it just won't hit 8th anymore. I'm going from the Sport 245s to the Rubi size of 285 and having a hell of a time finding a dealer to recalibrate (and am waiting for @joe@zauto to respond to Qs about the Tazer) and was worried about that part of it, on top of the speedo/odo differences. But by your assertion, I'm assuming the only dynamics change you've felt on yours was from the added tire weight, then? And 8th gear is as-per-usual on highway trips?

Dig your jeep, man, almost bought the same green-accented wheels.
Sponsored

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
I have 295/70/17s a bit taller than 33, still hit 8th on the hwy if it's flat and no wind, prior to the larger tires I'd hit 8th a bit earlier and it would hold on small inclines and a bit of wind. Not enough of an issue IMO to consider recal since my speedo isn't off enough to be a concern (and only lost about 1.5 mpg on the hwy).

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
I’ve got Rubicon and put on 35s but haven’t regeared. I have a Tazer and I’ve input the correct tire size. It makes the speedometer reading correct. It does not help one bit in having the engine change to 8th gear when cruising on the highway at 70 mph. 8th gear is only used in very specific circumstances with a light foot. Regearing will fix that issue (waiting until I put on 37s). A Tazer alone will not.

Strommen95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GMC Canyon
Hey Strommen - interesting about the shift points since so many people have said that it just won't hit 8th anymore. I'm going from the Sport 245s to the Rubi size of 285 and having a hell of a time finding a dealer to recalibrate (and am waiting for @joe@zauto to respond to Qs about the Tazer) and was worried about that part of it, on top of the speedo/odo differences. But by your assertion, I'm assuming the only dynamics change you've felt on yours was from the added tire weight, then? And 8th gear is as-per-usual on highway trips?

Dig your jeep, man, almost bought the same green-accented wheels.
Thanks for the Jeep comment. The Vision rims are really nice and not costly compared to most aftermarket rims. Win win.

Every bodies experience with this seems to be slightly different. Going from 245 to 285 had me concerned about the speedometer aswell. Before getting a Tazer I contacted my local dealer and was told it would cost $270 which is ridiculous for what it is. So I went a while without changing anything. Judging from waze and speed radars there was no difference in the speedometer. Most factory settings are set slightly faster than your going so I think going a little heavier put me right on the money(Duratracs run a little light which helps too). I think it was slightly off as I’ve never tested pass 60 MPH but maybe 0.5% if it was. I also noticed all my long trips(190 miles on the highway according to GPS) were accurate too.

Anyways, yes, the only difference I noticed was extra weight. I hit 8th between 55-60 when on flat ground. I originally put the new tires on at around 650 miles(approaching 10,000 now) and definitely started to hit 8th more often a month or two after putting the tires on. The ECU adjusts to your driving style and the transmission needs to be broken in which I think a lot of people don’t account for. You’ll definitely hit 8th consistently unless you live in a hilly area or put on heavy tires(which KO2s are not).

DDXDesign

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUSS
Thanks for the Jeep comment. The Vision rims are really nice and not costly compared to most aftermarket rims. Win win.

Every bodies experience with this seems to be slightly different. Going from 245 to 285 had me concerned about the speedometer aswell. Before getting a Tazer I contacted my local dealer and was told it would cost $270 which is ridiculous for what it is. So I went a while without changing anything. Judging from waze and speed radars there was no difference in the speedometer. Most factory settings are set slightly faster than your going so I think going a little heavier put me right on the money(Duratracs run a little light which helps too). I think it was slightly off as I’ve never tested pass 60 MPH but maybe 0.5% if it was. I also noticed all my long trips(190 miles on the highway according to GPS) were accurate too.

Anyways, yes, the only difference I noticed was extra weight. I hit 8th between 55-60 when on flat ground. I originally put the new tires on at around 650 miles(approaching 10,000 now) and definitely started to hit 8th more often a month or two after putting the tires on. The ECU adjusts to your driving style and the transmission needs to be broken in which I think a lot of people don’t account for. You’ll definitely hit 8th consistently unless you live in a hilly area or put on heavy tires(which KO2s are not).
Thanks for the commentary, man. Just picked up some used MT classic 3s with BFG Rugged Terrain AT tires (don't know the model but not KOs/KO2s, they've got center channels which are better for wet roads.

So I'll try them out without touching the computer for a few days then. Thanks!
Sponsored