Nomad

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
The only thing I see is "tire bleach" is that it?
Yup.
Spray, rinse. That's all. Some people bring it with them to a car wash and spray the tires as they wait in line.
Sponsored

Bearded_Dragon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito! Rubicon
Mine turn brown sometimes. It's called mud.
I had my KO2s turn blue from an abandoned phosphate mine lol. It scrubbed right off.

CalsJLUR

First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
I use Simple Green to clean my KO2’s, it cleans it and does not leave a greasy film on the tire and is less likely to cling dirt. I have used this method to clean all of my mud tires for the last several years.

Carlton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps lots of jeeps
I've had two sets and didn't have this issue.

Years ago I went to purchase a set of Duratracs from DT and they had this browning. I ended up passing and getting my tires at a different location. From my experience I see it on tires that are past their prime/been sitting around.

MotoMax

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon, 2020 Jeep Grandcherokee
Occupation
Do nothing bum Retired
Notasuv is correct. Yes, antiozoning is what BFG and others add to the tire compound so it maintains it's elasticity. Blooming is the process of the tire turning brownish especially when parked in the sun. The stronger the sunlight (like summertime) the faster it browns. Seems driving in the rain helps get rid of it.

First happened to me in the mid 90's when I put on some larger BFG A/T's or Michelin M/S's on a new Toyota truck I just bought. Can't remember which brand I bought that turned brown. Just remember I didn't like the BFG's back then and quickly replaced them with even larger Michelin M/S's. (And if anybody cares...Michelin owns BFG.) Today's KO2's are way nicer!
So not surprising our new Rubicon tires did the same thing, turned brown. I replaced the 285's right away with BFG 315's in "C" load range and they turned brown right away too.

My secret to clean the brown off.....
And I tried lots of cleaners is DISH SOAP. (haven't tried Westley's though) Dawn dish detergent seems to be the strongest. I use a strong mix in a 5 gal. bucket.
Using a soft car wash brush on a pole while in the shade I give the tires an extra good going over. Including the tread. Don't hose off the wheel and tire. Let the soap dry on there, over night if necessary. Hose off wheel and tire afterwards. Don't use this solution to wash the whole vehicle, just the tires (and wheels). You will find out the tire comes out nice and black.
Downside in two weeks you will probably have to repeat the process cause the brown will come back. Faster if they get lots of sun.
The good news is the tire over time seems to slow down it's "browning" process and eventually stops.
Sponsored

Last edited: