First Name
Rusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Occupation
Guitar slinger
After a few months I figured I'd ask if anyone else running the Patagonia tires noticed their tires look dirty or a light brown discoloration. When I received them I thought maybe it was just warehouse dust or something. A week after I has them installed I washed it and my wife asked "why do your tires look dirty still" and didn't give it much thought. The next time I washed it I spent some time scrubbing the tires and still they look kind of brown not deep black. Just thought I'd ask here because I know a lot of you here are running them too.
Sponsored

TimmH

First Name
Timm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Sahara 3.6 Auto
Vehicle Showcase
If you mean just the faded kind of look, my KO2s have a brownish tint after 2 weeks. I presume it's something in the compound, as living in Florida, the sun fades everything and my tires always turned grayish quickly after detailing.

On the Jeep, I don't worry about it much, I did just clean up the spare on the back, just because it looked odd with the brown tint, the others are more like, eh.

OP
OP
RUSTYS

RUSTYS

First Name
Rusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Occupation
Guitar slinger
If you mean just the faded kind of look, my KO2s have a brownish tint after 2 weeks. I presume it's something in the compound, as living in Florida, the sun fades everything and my tires always turned grayish quickly after detailing.

On the Jeep, I don't worry about it much, I did just clean up the spare on the back, just because it looked odd with the brown tint, the others are more like, eh.
Thanks TimmH, Hmmm I have never seen this on any of my tires before and I used to run 44s years ago. Nice to hear it's not just me.

JohninSC

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
What are you using to clean the tires with? If cheap tire dressing was used it will cause the dirty brown gunk, use something like purple power or heavy degreaser to clean the tires. You may have to clean them two times. but that should work.

Notasuv

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport
After a few months I figured I'd ask if anyone else running the Patagonia tires noticed their tires look dirty or a light brown discoloration. When I received them I thought maybe it was just warehouse dust or something. A week after I has them installed I washed it and my wife asked "why do your tires look dirty still" and didn't give it much thought. The next time I washed it I spent some time scrubbing the tires and still they look kind of brown not deep black. Just thought I'd ask here because I know a lot of you here are running them too.
When were they manufactured, as I have seen older tires with this same type of brown crap on them

Sponsored

Notasuv

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport
Tire sidewalls turn brown mainly because of an element added to the rubber called antiozonant. It saves tires from premature drying and cracking due to the process of oxidation. Tire browning is usually called blooming.

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
I haven't noticed it on mine. Then again, it's been nothing but rain/ice/snow here since I bought them. :)

OP
OP
RUSTYS

RUSTYS

First Name
Rusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Occupation
Guitar slinger
What are you using to clean the tires with? If cheap tire dressing was used it will cause the dirty brown gunk, use something like purple power or heavy degreaser to clean the tires. You may have to clean them two times. but that should work.
Just using the same soap I used to wash the Jeep. No tire dressing.

OP
OP
RUSTYS

RUSTYS

First Name
Rusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Occupation
Guitar slinger
Tire sidewalls turn brown mainly because of an element added to the rubber called antiozonant. It saves tires from premature drying and cracking due to the process of oxidation. Tire browning is usually called blooming.
Thanks I've never seen it. I haven't looked at the date on the tires yet but I will. I knew if I asked here someone would give me an answer. Thanks

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Takes a bit of work w/ a stiff brush and some degreasing soap to remove the coating that's on them. Mine were made 9th week of 2018, shined up fine after that elbow grease was applied :)

Sponsored

OP
OP
RUSTYS

RUSTYS

First Name
Rusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Occupation
Guitar slinger
Takes a bit of work w/ a stiff brush and some degreasing soap to remove the coating that's on them. Mine were made 9th week of 2018, shined up fine after that elbow grease was applied :)
Thanks maybe I'll give that a try.

Nomad

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
Westley's tire cleaner. Spray on and the brown runs off without a scrub.

OP
OP
RUSTYS

RUSTYS

First Name
Rusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Occupation
Guitar slinger
OP
OP
RUSTYS

RUSTYS

First Name
Rusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Occupation
Guitar slinger
Westley's tire cleaner. Spray on and the brown runs off without a scrub.
The only thing I see is "tire bleach" is that it?