First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Since there’s not much besides mud holes as far as off-roading around the Houston area, and going to play in the rocks requires quite a drive, I decided to try to find some unpaved back roads that might be fun or interesting to drive in the Jeep that are closer to the Houston Texas area.

I discovered the East Texas 450. We did a fairly small part of the track last weekend and it was nice. It’ll take a few days to drive the whole track.

In searching I also came across the El Camino 105 bike route around Palestine which is mostly dirt.

I’m starting this thread to see if anyone else has routes to share or would like to arrange to go together to get their Jeep interior full of East Texas dust for a day.
Sponsored

TxJeepers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
I know you can find some in the Sam Houston National Forest area. I used make my way in from just outside Huntsville and come out in New Waverly.

jeepingib

First Name
Dusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' JLUR Punk'n
Occupation
Mechanic
I second the Sam Houston forest. We went out and enjoyed the tall pines before I had to go west.

DaddyEngineer

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
Since there’s not much besides mud holes as far as off-roading around the Houston area, and going to play in the rocks requires quite a drive, I decided to try to find some unpaved back roads that might be fun or interesting to drive in the Jeep that are closer to the Houston Texas area.

I discovered the East Texas 450. We did a fairly small part of the track last weekend and it was nice. It’ll take a few days to drive the whole track.

In searching I also came across the El Camino 105 bike route around Palestine which is mostly dirt.

I’m starting this thread to see if anyone else has routes to share or would like to arrange to go together to get their Jeep interior full of East Texas dust for a day.
Give me a yell when you plan on going. I’m usually game for that, unless my social secretary has scheduled me for other events.

Scott

Stormin’ Moorman

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR, 20 JLUR, 21 JL, 21 GCL, 89 YJ, 04 LJ
Occupation
Forester
Vehicle Showcase
The Big Thicket may have some trails

Sponsored

Abear

First Name
Jude
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon/White
I think I’m heading out to do the El Camino 105 tomorrow morning. I’ll report back here.
I've been using onXmaps to locate trials... You might try this site:
https://webmap.onxmaps.com/offroad/map.

I've been able to upload GPX files to my content and add trails... Not many trails in Southeast Texas that I'm aware of... I do ride a lot in Arkansas, Hot Springs Area...

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase

I lived in Houston in the mid 90's and there used to be some decent trails around Spring Creek. Are those still there? I'd actually be surprised if they are.

imjester77

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Eco Diesel; 2014 JKU Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
Ok, So I know this sounds crazy but I was in the same spot. I needed a place local so I can test any and all mods Iv'e done to the jeep and Texas is not know for having places readily available. Believe it or not, IT IS NOT ILLEGAL to drive off the highway under overpasses. You can create trails there and DOT and Highway patrol will not stop you. they might ask you what you are doing and check up making sure your not dumping a body or anything like that, but as long as it is NOT POSTED not to drive on the median you can. So I take Full advantage of this little loophole while it still exists. I have been stopped about 5 times in 4 years total but was allowed to continue about my business. Now, I wan not Rutting up the place, not tearing through areas like an idiot, but I was able to take full advantage of the bridges and concrete steps put there during construction.
My JKU Testing my 35's no lift. Found out I needed a Lift that day after I took off my rear fender.
Jeep Wrangler JL Dirt backroads in East Texas, anyone? 20190327_153752

Sponsored

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
I just looked at Sam Houston and they have weird hours so what’s up with that ?

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GTI, '21 JLUR on order
Ok, So I know this sounds crazy but I was in the same spot. I needed a place local so I can test any and all mods Iv'e done to the jeep and Texas is not know for having places readily available. Believe it or not, IT IS NOT ILLEGAL to drive off the highway under overpasses. You can create trails there and DOT and Highway patrol will not stop you. they might ask you what you are doing and check up making sure your not dumping a body or anything like that, but as long as it is NOT POSTED not to drive on the median you can. So I take Full advantage of this little loophole while it still exists. I have been stopped about 5 times in 4 years total but was allowed to continue about my business. Now, I wan not Rutting up the place, not tearing through areas like an idiot, but I was able to take full advantage of the bridges and concrete steps put there during construction.
My JKU Testing my 35's no lift. Found out I needed a Lift that day after I took off my rear fender.
Jeep Wrangler JL Dirt backroads in East Texas, anyone? 20190327_153752
Do you have any references on this loophole? I’m trying to find something to refer to if I try the same thing and run into the police.

Are you talking about the large landscaped areas inside of on/off ramps at overpasses?

imjester77

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Do you have any references on this loophole? I’m trying to find something to refer to if I try the same thing and run into the police.

Are you talking about the large landscaped areas inside of on/off ramps at overpasses?
https://statutes.capitol.texas.gov/docs/TN/htm/TN.545.htm

This is the rules for County Highways. Nowhere is it stated that you may not travers the side of the highway under an overpass. However, IT IS ONLY IN COUNTIES not City Jurisdictions, and you cannot traverse the median or go between your lane of traffic and the on-coming lane to go down between the bridge there. that is against the law.

and no not the large landscaped areas. most of the time people cant even see where I'm at. these are small little areas off the beaten path.

Put your Map in satellite view for these coordinates

28.786395599799366, -97.03776622804278
that is the path I made...lol

or
29.069007870686836, -97.3179231176675
or
28.733180797357473, -97.13593510566025

Last edited:
OP
OP
Chocolate Thunder

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
While I appreciate the contribution, what I’m looking for is legitimate unpaved east Texas roads. I can find some empty shoulder of state owned property to hoon my Jeep anywhere. I’m typically not going to do that, certainly not in a way that causes damage or ruts or any change to the land that wasn’t that way before I drove there. I’m not the sort of guy to tell the police that what I’m doing is allowed under law as they’re cuffing me, impounding my Jeep, and hauling my ass off to jail. Because that is absolutely what would happen in my case, I can assure you. Or worse.

But you have fun.

imjester77

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
While I appreciate the contribution, what I’m looking for is legitimate unpaved east Texas roads. I can find some empty shoulder of state owned property to hoon my Jeep anywhere. I’m typically not going to do that, certainly not in a way that causes damage or ruts or any change to the land that wasn’t that way before I drove there. I’m not the sort of guy to tell the police that what I’m doing is allowed under law as they’re cuffing me, impounding my Jeep, and hauling my ass off to jail. Because that is absolutely what would happen in my case, I can assure you. Or worse.

But you have fun.
Well, welcome to East Texas where the flat land is a plenty and public land is not to be found. So Happy hunting. Here you have to get creative or travel for some nice trails. Which, Hidden falls is not bad at all. But It is not that local to me. so traveling 3 hours to test trail worthyness of a simple mod seems silly.
Sponsored