Direct Injection-Why I'm Happy the 3.6 Doesn't Have It

brandonh

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 dodge 1500 , 2008 town and counrty, 2003 town and country
Intesting info on the new Etorque system (Mild hybrid)
Sponsored

brandonh

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 dodge 1500 , 2008 town and counrty, 2003 town and country
I was very happy when the news came awhile back that the 3.6 that would be in the Wrangler would be the updated version, but would NOT have direct injection. This video gives a good explanation as to why.

Disclaimer: Some DI engines are doing just fine, long term. I've seen MANY Ford Ecoboosts, for example, that have hundreds of thousands of miles on them and have not had the valve deposit issue cause trouble. My own Ecoboost, which was destroyed when a quick oil change shop improperly installed the oil filter, was torn down by the Ford dealer with 85k miles on it, and they said the valves looked good. For reference, from the first oil change onward, I ran Mobil 1 EP 5w30. A number of oil change intervals went to 10,000 miles, or a little further, so I feel a bit of relief knowing it was in good shape. However, I still am VERY glad not to have DI on my Pentastar.

Enjoy!

2.0 stop start system, even more electronics.

thenewrick

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tesla Model S P85+ / Subaru Baja Turbo 5-Speed
It really makes the most sense to use a plug in hybrid assist with regen braking. Then you can run on electric when you want to for super high mpg daily driver, instant torque off the line for acceleration and rock crawling, then gasoline for emergencies or long distance traveling. But that’s also the most expensive and complicated system which Some people don’t like. Good to have options.

I had zero interest in the Hemi until I saw the eTorque system. Now I’m curious how peppy it feels off the line. Once you feel the instant huge torque from electric you never go back to gas if you can help it. Feels so unresponsive and neutered.

OP
OP
DanW

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
It really makes the most sense to use a plug in hybrid assist with regen braking. Then you can run on electric when you want to for super high mpg daily driver, instant torque off the line for acceleration and rock crawling, then gasoline for emergencies or long distance traveling. But that’s also the most expensive and complicated system which Some people don’t like. Good to have options.

I had zero interest in the Hemi until I saw the eTorque system. Now I’m curious how peppy it feels off the line. Once you feel the instant huge torque from electric you never go back to gas if you can help it. Feels so unresponsive and neutered.
I've driven a Tesla. It is awesome, but I'd still prefer my JL on a twisty road with the 6 speed and the sound of the engine. That's just me, though. Imagine the Indy 500 with just the sound of air going over the cars. No thanks. Again, just me.

thenewrick

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tesla Model S P85+ / Subaru Baja Turbo 5-Speed
Ah yea I don’t like exhaust noise. I like quiet and smooth.

I like manuals for spirited driving but typically I’m driving my truck to take my dog places and it just kinda makes the experience more difficult. Ideally I’d like to have an electric vehicle, a truck, and a sports car with a manual for quiet roads and spirited driving. The Jeep would be my truck essentially but I’m still not sold on it. I’m leaning towards a Ram now. But Jeep still in the running.
Sponsored