First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler JLUR
Occupation
Network Engineer
Most of these posts are making me feel pretty good about this motor choice. I’ll do some turbo research as well. I just know they go PSSHHHHHHHH hah! Actually, I think that’s the sound a blow off valve makes.

this motor has only been in the Jeep for 4 years, right? 2018-2021+ How many miles would it normally take to see the issue? At 4 years old, that’s an average mileage of 40k… unless you drive like me, I have 68k on my 2018.
Sponsored

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
If you really want to keep the valves clean, run cheap gas, keep intake temps down, and pick up some power you could always run a water/methanol injection kit. I have now personal experience with them, but they will boost the 85 octane cheap fuel to better performance than 93 and significantly lower intake temps.

srt20

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR Ocean Blue
If you really want to keep the valves clean, run cheap gas, keep intake temps down, and pick up some power you could always run a water/methanol injection kit. I have now personal experience with them, but they will boost the 85 octane cheap fuel to better performance than 93 and significantly lower intake temps.
omg....

Christ, I gotta learn to stay out of these threads...

OP
OP
hiimmike

hiimmike

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler JLUR
Occupation
Network Engineer
omg....

You gotta learn to stay out of WISCONSIN! That place is horrible... which is why I moved from there to Colorado. :D Less mosquitos.

Herson

First Name
Herson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Wrangler unlimited rubicon
The only issue I have heard about this engine is a turbo rattle. Mine does it. It has not affect performance. It happens sometimes when decelerating around 30 miles. Is a subtle rattle noise that goes comes and goes away only when deceleration. Apparently is the wastegate/actuator. There is a post on this forum about it and some owners have had their turbos replaced. I need to schedule an appointment with the dealership to check it out.

Sponsored

wolf

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
On my third Rubicon(2dr's 2020, 2015 jetta diesel/2013 mb
Occupation
retired
I wonder if you put a catch can on your ass to catch the blow by you could add a few years to your longevity? lol.

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
omg....

Because you might learn something? Because any of what I said wasn’t factually accurate? Because a cleaner, cooler running engine is somehow a bad thing? With a modern controller, you could set the water/meth to come on at a relatively high boost pressure so it only sprays when you really benefit from it and the 3 qt reservoir would probably last a month or better.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JLR, 2019 Ford Ranger Lariat 4x4
I wonder if you put a catch can on your ass to catch the blow by you could add a few years to your longevity? lol.
Then the question is...Who's going to open it and check what's inside? :surprised:

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
So, this engines been out a while. Has anyone seen a post about actual carbon build up issues?

I owned an N54 BMW and have personally seen what one looked like at 60k when I walnut blasted it, but it was a real issue with those and pictures of the build up were all over the forum. I can’t even find one in a hurricane searching for it.
I've yet to see a single carbon issue. Feed it quality fuel from a clean tier 1 source (I solely use Mobil) and use quality full synthetic oil that adheres to factory specs. Also, change oil and filter every 5k miles.

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
Does an additive like Chevron's Techron address this issue with carbon build up on the vales? Assuming reasonable oil change intervals and all routine maintenance is done on schedule.
Seafoam sucked into the intake helps to keep it clean. But it needs to be done correctly and fairly often.

Any gasoline additives or "tier 1 gas" will never see the intake so no help for carbon buildup.

Also the info on 5k oil changes to reduce carbon buildup is FUD - carbon buildup is from oil getting "cooked" on the back of the valves. Brand new oil or 15,000km oil will both cause carbon buildup. Change oil when the computer tells you to do so worse case, or whatever earlier interval that makes you feel happy.

This is why a catch can is a help as it keeps some oil out of the intake. Any oil you find in the catch can is oil that would have ended up in the intake potentially causing carbon buildup.

Sponsored

Wkaz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara
An oil catch can should keep things clean for you in that respect. Can install a bundle of steel wool inside the catch can as well. This will help to keep blow-by crud out of your intake thereby keeping carbon buildup a non-issue for you.

Also, I’m a big proponent of occasionally redlining it throughout the life of the vehicle as this helps keep the area clean. “I promise officer…I was just doing periodical engine maintenance.” 😉
Define occasionally, thing redlines quick. But it's fun!

Turbomark

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Sport Altitude
I know DI engines can build up carbon quickly if they run at idle for long periods of time, so try to avoid that. I popped the motor in my old company vehicle at 50k miles, Ford Escape turbo, likely from all the sitting in parking lots, idling, while working on PC or on phone.

And a good ole Italian tune-up every few months can’t hurt. 😁

OP
OP
hiimmike

hiimmike

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler JLUR
Occupation
Network Engineer
I couldn’t get it to redline. I test drive a ‘18 or ‘19 Sahara and it shifted about 1k below redline.

jjflashbh

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 JKU
This is interesting. Where would you put this? This will sound stupid but just dump it in the air intake? That can’t be correct because then you’d just flood your cylinder.
lots of products that work better than seafoam, and meter the product out better. while i wouldn’t ever tell someone not to change oil, the science of DI doesn’t back up the “you will be fine if you change your oil” argument. likely if someone is religious about oil changes, they are simply taking better care of their car than most, anecdotally revealing cleaner intake valves.

commbubba19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 392
Occupation
IT
Because you might learn something? Because any of what I said wasn’t factually accurate? Because a cleaner, cooler running engine is somehow a bad thing? With a modern controller, you could set the water/meth to come on at a relatively high boost pressure so it only sprays when you really benefit from it and the 3 qt reservoir would probably last a month or better.
Engines are designed to run at a certain operating temperature. A too 'cold' of an engine is just as bad as too 'hot' of an engine.

A catch can can slow the build up on the valves as less oil is getting into the intake than without.
Sponsored