Sponsored

Diode Dynamics Video: How to Install 2018 Jeep JL Wrangler Switchback Turn Signal LEDs

OP
OP
Diode Dynamics

Diode Dynamics

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.diodedynamics.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler
Ok in that video of the ford truck truck, which you have way more room to mount the resistor. He says in the video to make sure you mount on a metal surface to make sure you don' melt anything. On my JL in the front turn signal ,i see no metal place to mount the resistor. So if I did that i would have to worry about melting any wires,
As a general rule of thumb, resistors should be mounted away from rubber, soft plastic, or anything along those lines. It doesn't necessarily have to be metal, but we do suggest a metal surface since that will help dissipate the heat.

Keep in mind, with incandescent bulbs, the filament itself is generating the same amount of heat inside the housing. This is why you'll notice the factory sockets are discolored when you remove the OEM bulbs.

Thank you,
Nick C.
Sponsored

Bubba33

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 jeep wrangler Sahara JL
As a general rule of thumb, resistors should be mounted away from rubber, soft plastic, or anything along those lines. It doesn't necessarily have to be metal, but we do suggest a metal surface since that will help dissipate the heat.

Keep in mind, with incandescent bulbs, the filament itself is generating the same amount of heat inside the housing. This is why you'll notice the factory sockets are discolored when you remove the OEM bulbs.

Thank you,
Nick C.
I get that Nick, but in your own videos you say to mount to metal because of the heat. I've bought some products from you.since you guys are in this forum,i would like to see a complete video on the JL front and rear turn siginals.with resistors shown mounted. I don't want the resistor in the front whete it could melt wire or plastic.

OP
OP
Diode Dynamics

Diode Dynamics

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.diodedynamics.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler
I get that Nick, but in your own videos you say to mount to metal because of the heat. I've bought some products from you.since you guys are in this forum,i would like to see a complete video on the JL front and rear turn siginals.with resistors shown mounted. I don't want the resistor in the front whete it could melt wire or plastic.
Resistors are a universal product, with the same basic installation procedure for every vehicle. We have several helpful videos demonstrating the procedure to guide our customers. Additionally, we've provided wire color information to show JL owners which wires to tap.

We didn't install resistors on this particular JL, because a local dealer (All Star Dodge & Jeep) here in St. Louis, let us borrow it for filming. (It still had the factory transport protection stuff on it!)

They will produce the same amount of heat as an incandescent bulb, so as long as you don't have anything directly touching it, you'll be perfectly fine. Metal is ideal, but not always possible in every application.

Thank you,
Nick C.

Bubba33

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Resistors are a universal product, with the same basic installation procedure for every vehicle. We have several helpful videos demonstrating the procedure to guide our customers. Additionally, we've provided wire color information to show JL owners which wires to tap.

We didn't install resistors on this particular JL, because a local dealer (All Star Dodge & Jeep) here in St. Louis, let us borrow it for filming. (It still had the factory transport protection stuff on it!)

They will produce the same amount of heat as an incandescent bulb, so as long as you don't have anything directly touching it, you'll be perfectly fine. Metal is ideal, but not always possible in every application.

Thank you,
Nick C.

Ok Thanks.

Sponsored

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
I have been following your posts for a while, hoping to find the best possible option for my bad decision to not get the factory LED offering. I see now that the switchback bulbs are effectively useless in the Rubicon, correct? I have not yet tried pulling mine apart but it appears that the turn signal/DRL housing has two bulbs on each side, one amber turn signal and one incredibly dim yellow ugly thing. What I do not understand is the side marker. Is there a separate bulb for that? Everything I've seen shows the front turn signal on the inner position, so it can't be what's flashing on the side.

OP
OP
Diode Dynamics

Diode Dynamics

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.diodedynamics.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler
I have been following your posts for a while, hoping to find the best possible option for my bad decision to not get the factory LED offering. I see now that the switchback bulbs are effectively useless in the Rubicon, correct? I have not yet tried pulling mine apart but it appears that the turn signal/DRL housing has two bulbs on each side, one amber turn signal and one incredibly dim yellow ugly thing. What I do not understand is the side marker. Is there a separate bulb for that? Everything I've seen shows the front turn signal on the inner position, so it can't be what's flashing on the side.
The Rubicon (non-LED equipped) has two bulbs up front + OEM LED sidemarkers. We offer amber single-color replacements for the turn signal, which only come on when the turn signal is in use, and single color replacements for the running light bulbs.

The OEM LED sidemarkers are amber, and cannot be swapped out like a traditional incandescent 194 bulb.

If you have any additional questions, please feel free to give us a call: (314) 205-3033

Plenty of easy upgrades available if you didn't select the factory LED option.

Thanks!
Nick C.

Cledus601

First Name
Clint
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
Ok in that video of the ford truck truck, which you have way more room to mount the resistor. He says in the video to make sure you mount on a metal surface to make sure you don' melt anything. On my JL in the front turn signal ,i see no metal place to mount the resistor. So if I did that i would have to worry about melting any wires,
There is a spot to mount them on metal. I will get to my computer this evening and find the picture of where I mounted mine. It is towards the top in the front. There is a brace and I slipped it in behind that brace. The wires come in from the front of the brace and out the back. Easier to show in a picture.

Bubba33

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
There is a spot to mount them on metal. I will get to my computer this evening and find the picture of where I mounted mine. It is towards the top in the front. There is a brace and I slipped it in behind that brace. The wires come in from the front of the brace and out the back. Easier to show in a picture.

Ok Thanks because I would like to have them. To go with the led headlight bulbs a d fog.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
The Rubicon (non-LED equipped) has two bulbs up front + OEM LED sidemarkers. We offer amber single-color replacements for the turn signal, which only come on when the turn signal is in use, and single color replacements for the running light bulbs.

The OEM LED sidemarkers are amber, and cannot be swapped out like a traditional incandescent 194 bulb.

If you have any additional questions, please feel free to give us a call: (314) 205-3033

Plenty of easy upgrades available if you didn't select the factory LED option.

Thanks!
Nick C.
Lots of upgrades indeed, ordered everything you make for the JL except for fog lights already.

Sponsored

Cledus601

First Name
Clint
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
Ok Thanks because I would like to have them. To go with the led headlight bulbs a d fog.
I used some double sided gorilla on the bottoms and stuck it to that pinch weld up there above the braket. It is tight but its in there.

20180618_170959.png

20180618_171017.png

EarlThe3rd

First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S
I have a Sport S with auto headlights. What's not clear to me is if the DRK white light will operate in either the off or auto settings when it's not dark out. Or do I need to set it to the parking light setting?

And has anyone yet found a way with the Tazer JL to get these lights to function properly without a resistor yet, using the auto headlights setting? That's less of a concern to me, but was wondering nonetheless with all the updates.

Cledus601

First Name
Clint
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
I have a Sport S with auto headlights. What's not clear to me is if the DRK white light will operate in either the off or auto settings when it's not dark out. Or do I need to set it to the parking light setting?

And has anyone yet found a way with the Tazer JL to get these lights to function properly without a resistor yet, using the auto headlights setting? That's less of a concern to me, but was wondering nonetheless with all the updates.
If I have my lights in auto and it's not dark enough for the the headlights to come on then my front end is dark. Unless I flip the switch to parking lights or on then the fender DRL do not come on.
Im pretty sure I saw that the tazer does have a setting go tell that you have LEDs which will correct the hyperflash.
Sponsored