Sponsored

Diode Dynamics Video: How to Install 2018 Jeep JL Wrangler Switchback Turn Signal LEDs

OP
OP
Diode Dynamics

Diode Dynamics

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.diodedynamics.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler
Do the factory LED turn signals have a resistor installed in/integral to them? Otherwise, shouldn't it be possible to reprogram the jeep to look for LED resistance instead?
The switchback LED replacements used in this kit are for non-LED equipped Jeeps only. The factory LED-equipped Jeeps use a complete LED assembly and the BCM is programmed specifically for those components.

Thanks!
Nick C.
Sponsored

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
The switchback LED replacements used in this kit are for non-LED equipped Jeeps only. The factory LED-equipped Jeeps use a complete LED assembly and the BCM is programmed specifically for those components.

Thanks!
Nick C.
Thanks for the quick reply. I know the bulbs are for the standard halogen equipped JL only, but why can the computer not simply be reprogrammed to think it has LED's?

OP
OP
Diode Dynamics

Diode Dynamics

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.diodedynamics.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler
Thanks for the quick reply. I know the bulbs are for the standard halogen equipped JL only, but why can the computer not simply be reprogrammed to think it has LED's?
Most Mopar vehicles have an encrypted ECU to prevent any end-user modifications. I assume the BCM is similar, which would make it an extremely difficult process. It may be possible, but I imagine it would require an expensive, dealer-specific tool or software.

Nick C.

OP
OP
Diode Dynamics

Diode Dynamics

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.diodedynamics.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler
Keep the installed pictures coming! We love seeing pictures with Diode Dynamics' products installed!

Send an email with your pictures to: [email protected] for a chance to be featured

Thank you!
Nick C.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Diode Dynamics

Diode Dynamics

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.diodedynamics.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler

2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Diode Dynamics Front Turn Signal Bulb LED Installation

Here's another installation video courtesy of our friends at CJ Off-Road!

Thank you,
Nick C.

Bubba33

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 jeep wrangler Sahara JL

2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Diode Dynamics Front Turn Signal Bulb LED Installation

Here's another installation video courtesy of our friends at CJ Off-Road!

Thank you,
Nick C.

The problem with these install videos ,is there totally incomplete. It' made to look like that's all there is to it. But you guys know it needs resistors wired in ,and you don't shiw that here.

safety_glasses

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
The problem with these install videos ,is there totally incomplete. It' made to look like that's all there is to it. But you guys know it needs resistors wired in ,and you don't shiw that here.
According to the first video, you don't, unless you want to fix the fast flash on the dash. The turn signals themselves blink at the same rate, according to the video.

Is that right, @Diode Dynamics ??

safety_glasses

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Also, all the JL upgrades will work with a Rubicon that does NOT have the LED upgrade, right?

Sponsored

Bubba33

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
According to the first video, you don't, unless you want to fix the fast flash on the dash. The turn signals themselves blink at the same rate, according to the video.

Is that right, @Diode Dynamics ??

But you get the fast flash and light out msg. I didn' want to splice the wires,and they say to mount the resistors to metal, which I didn' see any where to mount to metal. They do get hot when the turn siginal is on.

OP
OP
Diode Dynamics

Diode Dynamics

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.diodedynamics.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler
Also, all the JL upgrades will work with a Rubicon that does NOT have the LED upgrade, right?
We have replacement LEDs available for all non-LED locations on each JL Wrangler trim level.

As a rule of thumb, you will need to install resistors any time you are installing LEDs in place of a factory incandescent turn signal. We have several videos demonstrating that process, including this one:

Resistors will get hot as they create resistance. Heat is a byproduct of electrical resistance, and lets you know they are doing their job when the turn signal is in use.

Thanks!
Nick C.

abecker

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
Are there any issues with the resistors getting too hot or going bad if I use the LEDs as a DRL all the time while driving? I wasn't sure if long drives would cause issues.

OP
OP
Diode Dynamics

Diode Dynamics

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.diodedynamics.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler
Are there any issues with the resistors getting too hot or going bad if I use the LEDs as a DRL all the time while driving? I wasn't sure if long drives would cause issues.
The resistors will generate as much heat as the factory bulbs (since they are creating the same amount of resistance). The single-filament bulb DRLs should not require resistors, as they don't blink with the turn signals.

Switchback-capable models (dual-filament turn signal socket styles) will require resistors, and won't get too hot to cause concern.

Thanks!
Nick C.

Bubba33

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ok in that video of the ford truck truck, which you have way more room to mount the resistor. He says in the video to make sure you mount on a metal surface to make sure you don' melt anything. On my JL in the front turn signal ,i see no metal place to mount the resistor. So if I did that i would have to worry about melting any wires,
Sponsored