Sponsored

Diode Dynamics Video: How to Install 2018 Jeep JL Wrangler Switchback Turn Signal LEDs

OP
OP
Diode Dynamics

Diode Dynamics

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.diodedynamics.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler
@Cledus601 was kind enough to take helpful comparisons on his wife's JL Wrangler Sahara. Here's a great shot with the Cool White XP80s installed in the DRL:

2018_jeep_jl_wrangler_sahara_running_light_xp80_white.jpg

The XP80 is our brightest bulb model (510 lumens / measured):

2018_jeep_jl_wrangler_sahara_running_light_output.jpg
Sponsored

Cledus601

First Name
Clint
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
Anyone install the switchback in their Sport S? Any photos of standard head and dogs w/ switchbacks on?
When you put these lights up against the standard lights it completely blows them away. The factory lights yellow wash looks absurd in comparison to the clear white of the Diode Dynamics lights. I have a comparison of heads and fogs on my PC I'll find it.

New Driver old Passenger.jpg

Sponsored

Command Line RC

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Wrangler Unlimited
Vehicle Showcase
Ordered the headlights, foglights and switchback turn signals. I'll post the pics once install is complete!

OP
OP
Diode Dynamics

Diode Dynamics

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.diodedynamics.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler
Ordered the headlights, foglights and switchback turn signals. I'll post the pics once install is complete!
Thank you for your support! Looking forward to hearing your feedback Brian!!

Nick C.

Chowbaby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Thank you for posting pictures Brian!

Looks great IMO!!

Nick C.
Question about the resistors - I've read that they can get extremely hot (especially after prolonged use, i.e. drl) and are recommended that they be secured/bolted down to metal as they can melt through rubber/plastic.

Have you come across any issues and/or a specific area to tuck the resister away to? Thanks

Sponsored

Command Line RC

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Wrangler Unlimited
Vehicle Showcase
Question about the resistors - I've read that they can get extremely hot (especially after prolonged use, i.e. drl) and are recommended that they be secured/bolted down to metal as they can melt through rubber/plastic.

Have you come across any issues and/or a specific area to tuck the resister away to? Thanks

This is a good question. I left my turn signals on after about 5 minutes, not a single one of them got hot.

OP
OP
Diode Dynamics

Diode Dynamics

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.diodedynamics.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler
This is a good question. I left my turn signals on after about 5 minutes, not a single one of them got hot.
Heat is a byproduct of resistance, and is expected to occur. Heat with incandescent bulbs as well.

The resistors are intended to mimic the resistance generated by the filament in the factory incandescent bulbs. This filament wears down over time creating less and less resistance. When they've reached a certain resistance threshold, they go into a hyperflash failure mode to let you know it's time to replace the bulb.

Since LEDs create significantly less resistance, they will hyperflash as well. By installing resistors (essentially a ceramic block, encased in an aluminum heatsink) you are creating enough resistance to prevent the hyperflash failure mode.

@Chowbaby, as long as they aren't mounted directly to soft plastics or rubber, you won't have any issues. If you remove an incandescent bulb from a factory socket after a long portion of time, you'll notice discoloration on the socket itself. This is caused by the heat from the incandescent bulb itself. The LEDs themselves have a lower operating temperature than equivalent incandescent bulbs.

@Command Line RC, if your resistors are not getting hot during turn signal operation, that's usually a sign they are not installed properly, or the connection isn't secure.

Other questions commonly asked: "Why don't you sell LEDs with resistors built-in" or "I saw these LEDs on eBay/Amazon claiming to be "error-free"

Answer #1: Heat is the biggest enemy of LEDs. It will shorten the lifespan or lead to premature failure. If you incorporated enough resistance onto an LED for a turn signal, it would get very hot and result in a poor lifespan. Trust us, if it were currently possible, we'd be doing it already. Our engineers are always improving our designs as LED technology improves, but higher-powered LEDs still require a decent amount of heatsink to ensure proper operating temperatures etc etc.

Answer #2: It's not possible to have an "error-free" bulb for turn signals, despite any claims you may see. It's a deceptive claim used to convince people to buy their turn signal LED in the hopes they won't have to install resistors.

Hopefully this answers any questions you may have about resistors, and sheds some light on why resistors are needed in the first place. Here's another video demonstrating the install of resistors as well:

Thank you!
Nick C.

From0toJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Firecracker Sahara (ordered 4/16/18, received 5/12/18), 2015 QX60, 2012 5.0, 2013 Prius V (hers)
Nick... I am a bit confused here and maybe made a mistake.

- I bought your HP24 switchbacks, and actually already received them. Thanks!

- I didn’t know there was a shipping discount for members here. Can you help me out if I need to get resistors?

- My JLUS does have the rear LED package, so do I still need resistors for the front?

- The video posted on your site led me to believe that the only potential issue was a faster blinking interior dash turn signal, so I didn’t opt for the resistor since I thought that would be ok. But now are you saying there will be a “bulb out” indicator on the dash as well? :(

Please advise. Thanks

OP
OP
Diode Dynamics

Diode Dynamics

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.diodedynamics.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler
Nick... I am a bit confused here and maybe made a mistake.

- I bought your HP24 switchbacks, and actually already received them. Thanks!

- I didn’t know there was a shipping discount for members here. Can you help me out if I need to get resistors?

- My JLUS does have the rear LED package, so do I still need resistors for the front?

- The video posted on your site led me to believe that the only potential issue was a faster blinking interior dash turn signal, so I didn’t opt for the resistor since I thought that would be ok. But now are you saying there will be a “bulb out” indicator on the dash as well? :(

Please advise. Thanks
Hello,

The HP24 switchbacks will require resistors to be installed to prevent hyperflash and bulb-out notifications. It's a simple and straightforward process to install them.

Please feel free to send us a PM for the free-shipping code (U.S. members only).

You will need resistors for any incandescent turn signal bulb location that you replace with an LED. The loss of resistance from the filament in the incandescent bulb is responsible for the bulb-out warning.

Resistors will resolve any complications you may be experiencing.

Nick C.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Do the factory LED turn signals have a resistor installed in/integral to them? Otherwise, shouldn't it be possible to reprogram the jeep to look for LED resistance instead?
Sponsored