Sponsored

Diode Dynamics Video: How to Install 2018 Jeep JL Wrangler Backup/Reverse Light LEDs

Geral Hasten

First Name
Geral
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JKU Rubicon, 2018 JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
blue1_600x115.gif

Jeep JL Wrangler Backup LEDs

Here's a great way to upgrade your Jeep JL Wrangler's appearance and safety at night. Diode Dynamics LED replacements are a great addition to any tail light, and can be easily installed, plug-and-play with no resistors needed. Huge upgrade when used with JL Wrangler backup cameras!

Diode Dynamics offers the brightest, most reliable, highest-quality bulbs on the market. Your order will ship same day, and we're here if you need us for support and service. These LED bulbs were designed by our engineering team here in St. Louis, and every bulb carries with it a three-year limited warranty.

Brightness:

Diode Dynamics offers several brightness options so you can choose what fits your JL Wrangler's output needs best. These options are listed by the design and the lumen output of each bulb:

HP11: (310 lumens) Slightly higher brightness than OEM bulbs.
XP80: (510 lumens) Much brighter than OEM bulbs. These are bright!

Jeep Wrangler JL Diode Dynamics Video: How to Install 2018 Jeep JL Wrangler Backup/Reverse Light LEDs {filename}

Bulb Design:

HP11: Four side-firing 1.5W-rated Osram LED chips, and one 5W-rated LED chip on top, which is projected by a lens for maximum effective brightness. The bulb is housed in a machined aluminum casing, which provides superior heat diffusion for long life.

XP80: Each of the four sides of this bulb contains three 5W-rated chips, and the top is fitted with four more under a projector lens. This is the brightest self-contained automotive LED bulb on the market, and is housed in an aluminum casing with a textured finish for maximum heatsinking properties.

The bulbs use an exact terminal and will fit as a replacement for JL Wrangler's stock incandescent. Diode Dynamics LED bulbs use less power and heat than the stock bulbs, and will last longer than your JL Wrangler. Diode Dynamics' LEDs use only the best components and are of the highest quality. The bulbs are designed for exceptional heat dispersion, and a diode is implanted to protect the LED from reverse polarity or voltage surge. The LED is wired for 12V operation, the kind found on all vehicles.

Included in your order is TWO BULBS to fit your Jeep JL Wrangler. This product is for Jeep JL Wranglers not equipped with the LED Lighting Package.

Diode Dynamics' products come with a 30-day satisfaction guarantee and a 3-year limited warranty.

Diode Dynamics: Backup LEDs for 2018+ Jeep JL Wrangler

This product is for Jeep JL Wranglers not equipped with the LED Lighting Package.

Any questions, feel free to ask via email ([email protected]), Post, shoot us a PM! or call: (314) 205-3033

*PM us for the free-shipping code* (U.S. forum members only)

Thanks,
Nick C.
Diode Dynamics

Jeep Wrangler JL Diode Dynamics Video: How to Install 2018 Jeep JL Wrangler Backup/Reverse Light LEDs {filename}

please help!
I am adding two each Led lights to my rear bumper, they pull 1.4 AMPS each. I have them mounted but need to wire them in. My JL also has the hitch package. If I connect the wiring into the 7 pin hitch wiring will I disrupt my computer or if I connect to reversing light wiring in each tail light . The 2018 JL is a different system and I am concerned to add additional amps to the wiring and having some adverse effects.

OP
OP
Diode Dynamics

Diode Dynamics

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.diodedynamics.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler
please help!
I am adding two each Led lights to my rear bumper, they pull 1.4 AMPS each. I have them mounted but need to wire them in. My JL also has the hitch package. If I connect the wiring into the 7 pin hitch wiring will I disrupt my computer or if I connect to reversing light wiring in each tail light . The 2018 JL is a different system and I am concerned to add additional amps to the wiring and having some adverse effects.
Hello,

This thread is for LED replacement bulbs for non-factory LED equipped JL Wranglers. It sounds like you are adding additional auxiliary lighting vs. a bulb swap? Please feel free to send more information to our team about which Diode Dynamics' products you are using: [email protected]

We may be able to provide you with more insight into this installation process, and helpful troubleshooting tips.

Thank you,
Nick C.

TIDALWAVE

First Name
CHUCK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Convertible, 2013 CHEVY SILVERADO, 2018 JLUR
My JL will becoming with the optional LED package. Are the brake light bulbs incandescent even with the LED package?

If I want to add DD LED additional back up lights, where would they be connected to the wiring harness(es)?
Are the DD LEDs low enough amperage that the OEM fuses can handle the additional load?

OP
OP
Diode Dynamics

Diode Dynamics

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.diodedynamics.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler
My JL will becoming with the optional LED package. Are the brake light bulbs incandescent even with the LED package?

If I want to add DD LED additional back up lights, where would they be connected to the wiring harness(es)?
Are the DD LEDs low enough amperage that the OEM fuses can handle the additional load?
If your JL has the factory LED package installed, that should include the tail lights as well. Though it'll be easy to tell just by looking at the design of the tail lights themselves. If you notice a simple incandescent bulb in the tail light location, you'll be able to replace it with our LED models. The same is true for the reverse light location.

Our LED replacements are designed specifically for the automotive application and have been tested on the JL Wrangler to confirm fitment and functionality.

Thanks!
Nick C.

Sponsored

TIDALWAVE

First Name
CHUCK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Convertible, 2013 CHEVY SILVERADO, 2018 JLUR
A follow-up question...my JL has factory LED back-up lights...but I would like the highest lumen output available.
So the XP-80 LEDs cannot be used as a replacement bulb for the OEM LED backup bulbs?

OP
OP
Diode Dynamics

Diode Dynamics

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.diodedynamics.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler
A follow-up question...my JL has factory LED back-up lights...but I would like the highest lumen output available.
So the XP-80 LEDs cannot be used as a replacement bulb for the OEM LED backup bulbs?
Correct, the XP80 LED replacements are compatible with non-factory LED equipped JL Wranglers only.

Thanks!
Nick C.

drock317

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS - Ocean Blue
Update : just got the CHMSL relocation bracket, and will be trying a reverse light install tonight!
Did you ever get this installed? Another JL owner here with LED tails and the reverse lights suck and we need something a little more. I can start a new forum post so we're not hijacking this thread if you want @Diode Dynamics

Sponsored

kkuntz01

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon, 2014 Ram 2500 Crew Cab
Are any of your bulbs CanBus compliant?

OP
OP
Diode Dynamics

Diode Dynamics

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.diodedynamics.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler
Are any of your bulbs CanBus compliant?
Great question! We'll offer warning-canceller modules with any bulbs that might require it. Tail light/backup LED bulbs should not trigger any issues on the JL. You may need resistors if switching to LED turn signals, though.

Jake H.
Diode Dynamics

kkuntz01

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon, 2014 Ram 2500 Crew Cab
Great question! We'll offer warning-canceller modules with any bulbs that might require it. Tail light/backup LED bulbs should not trigger any issues on the JL. You may need resistors if switching to LED turn signals, though.

Jake H.
Diode Dynamics
So this begs the questions, with nearly every vehicle in the last 15 years or so operating on a CanBus system, why would you not offer bulbs that are canbus compatible? In that respect, it would seem that your company is seriously behind the curve in that respect. Speaking for myself, if I have a choice of buying an LED bulb that is straight up plug and play versus having to fuss with soldering in a resistor just so I can use a bulb, I'm going to take the plug and play option.

While I can't speak for my JL yet, our '14 Ram 2500 has kicked up errors or when using non-canbus bulbs for backup (GTR lighting worked but with errors) or license plate lights (diode dynamics, your 194's didn't work, your 912's worked but with errors).

Sorry to be so harsh, however there should be no reason for a company that specializes in LED's bulbs to offer half baked solutions like adding resistors to make their product work in vehicles and markets they cater to.

OP
OP
Diode Dynamics

Diode Dynamics

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.diodedynamics.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler
Hi Kevin!

Those are some great points. We are starting to see some LEDs on the market that do not need resistors, as the power is being dissipated through the LED which causes major heat build up on the bulb and often leads to premature failure as this is a newer technology and not extensively tested. The industry standard right now uses LEDs with the external resistors to keep the heat away from the bulb, ultimately prolonging the lifespan of the LED.

While we definitely have some catching up to do in certain respects, newer cars are simply getting more and more complex. For example, having each electrical signal monitored by the BCM, resulting in an environment where any changes from the factory level will result in an error.

Jake H.
Diode Dynamics

NavyVet1959

Banned
Banned
First Name
OldFart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ (sold), WJ (sold), Ram 1500 QC 4x4 (sold 2018.06.07), Wrangler JL Sport 2-door (ordered 2018.06.08)
Occupation
Retired engineer (NASA, aerospace, DoD); ex-Navy
Vehicle Showcase
My JL does not have the factory LED option, but I'm curious about it from an engineering perspective. What voltage is the factory option running the LEDs at? I'm well aware of the forward voltages for the different single LEDs that you can buy, but I'm just curious what the factory design is sending to the LED package that it is using for the lights. Any idea?
Sponsored