plex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Weekend keyboard mechanic and beer drinker
Vehicle Showcase
I was searching for some stock plastic bumper light mount solutions, as I am waiting for more aftermarket bumpers to show up and so far the ones I saw are just not my like.

The only one on the market right now is Mopar light mount, and several forum members reported some major hassles: nut-certs, template not fit the filler trim, blah blah. Also for a pair of brackets, $80~$100 is really steep. I think you can actually fabricate your own bracket, but that will depend on your local fabricator's price for such a small job and their skill sets....

Well, until lately I found @Diode Dynamics made a solution for the stock plastic bumper. Diode Dynamics did some awesome aftermarket LEDs for Jeep and other sporties. They are a small company located in Missouri and their products are proudly made in the USA. Just for that, I will give them a try.

The price is about right, a 30 inch light bar and brackets for $430. If you want a pair of light bars, that will be another $300. This is almost below the average quality light bars (see how much Rigid and Baja design charge for their 30 inches), let alone the customized mounting brackets for the plastic bumper. Please do not count Amazon China junk as "quality products"...

I placed the order for a single bar and bracket, would like to see how nice they are and then decide if I want to add a 2nd light bar. The package arrived two days later through USPS priority, nicely packaged, over padding. I asked Jake @Diode Dynamics questions about the size of mounting bolt (M6-1.0), as I saw in their installation video they are shiny silver and I want black. To my surprise, it actually comes with black bolts, this will blend in with the bracket really well.

20190126_132256.jpg

20190126_132411.jpg

20190126_132655.jpg

s-l500.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
plex

plex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
@Diode Dynamics has an installation video, and it is very straight forward.

Unlike Mopar brackets, they do not need to remove the grille, just pop up and throw the trim filler plate. Unscrew two 5/8 bolts, place the bracket, screw it back. Done!

Well, one thing I did is trying to save the trim filler because I like how the filler plate covers up the stuffs beneath nicely. I have to pull out my Dremel. I cut a slit nicely near the trim hole, test the fit. Put on the brackets first, and squeeze the trim plate in, put back these mounting screws, and they......fit perfectly!

Just remember, the filler trim plate is plastic, and you can force your way into. Worse case, you can buy a new one from every Mopar parts store for $20.

The finishing brackets are exactly the way I want, kudos to the high-quality product and they are definitely much better than the crappy L bracket Mopar made or probably average homebrew brackets. They also include a pair of extender so you can mount the 2nd light bar or just want to mount your first bar higher.

20190126_133837.jpg

20190126_134543.jpg

20190126_135011.jpg

20190126_141452.jpg

20190126_143014.jpg

20190126_143019.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
plex

plex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
After the bracket, the light bar installation is very easy. Two M6 hex bolt them right on the brackets nicely. There are three sets of wiring come with this kit: one for if you have aux switches, one for if you do not, the third one is just bare wire connector comes with the light bar itself (since they sell this light bar alone too). All three have water proof connectors just like the OEM fog light connector.

The ones for aux switches are good quality and has built-in fuse, they can also connect up to two light bars. However, these are too bulky IMO, and in-line fuses are redundant since aux switch also have a 40 amp fuse. I ended up fabricating my own wires using the bare wire connector and 16-gauge wires. I run them through the fender well, up to the air intake, then to the aux switches. This way, it has a very minimal footprint in the engine bay.

I did not take pictures of wiring, but happy to provide if you need to see the way I route it. It is pretty much no different than anyone route their winch or bumper lights.

I did test the light to make sure everything work before I finalize the wiring. The picture did not do justice as it was taken by my cellphone with flashlight inside the garage. This skinny candy bar can light up my garage like light god.

20190126_143611.jpg

20190126_143650.jpg

20190126_143932.jpg

20190126_161015.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
plex

plex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Well, it is still day time, so I cannot really say how they can light up in a night off-road situation. Here are some pictures.

Overall, I am very pleased about this purchase, the product, and the installation. They are subtle but yet appealing. I can see they will serve my purpose well for a long long time, until I find my perfect aftermarket mid-width bumper and probably go with winch (maybe not).

Shootout to @Diode Dynamics, job well done!

20190126_162418.jpg

20190126_162422.jpg

20190126_162448.jpg

20190126_162453.jpg

20190126_163234.jpg

Last edited:

Diode Dynamics

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.diodedynamics.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler
Great job with this write-up! We're definitely seeing more and more that modifying that plastic trim panel is a popular move for JL owners who want to look as OEM as possible. Thanks again for your support, and we hope you get plenty of use out of the kit!

Jake H.
Diode Dynamics

Sponsored

Makosdad

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JLU Ocean Blue
Installed 30" Diode Dynamics Light Bar along with MOPAR replacement black grill. I also modified the trim piece and I think it looks much better being reinstalled (not too much work thanks to others before me who posted tips). Having the grill off certainly made running the wire and removing bolts easier (although you need to reinstall BEFORE you install light bar brackets

IMG_7946.jpg

IMG_7947.jpg

IMG_7948.jpg

IMG_7949.jpg

IMG_7950.jpg

IMG_7951.jpg

IMG_7952.jpg

IMG_7953.jpg

IMG_7962.jpg

IMG_7966.jpg

Diode Dynamics

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.diodedynamics.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler
Amazing product, super easy install even with moding the trim piece and reinstalling it!
I'm glad you're enjoying it! Feedback on the installation process is really valuable, so it's great to hear it was smooth sailing for you.

Jake H.
Diode Dynamics

Nutmeg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler
Looking at the Diode Dynamics set up myself. Now that you have had it a few months what are your thoughts now? Also between the combo bar and driving lights only what are your thoughts on strength and weakness there? Thanks

Sponsored

Makosdad

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JLU Ocean Blue
Looking at the Diode Dynamics set up myself. Now that you have had it a few months what are your thoughts now? Also between the combo bar and driving lights only what are your thoughts on strength and weakness there? Thanks
No issues at all . . . I maybe would have bought the double bar if I did it again. Strong white light illuminates well

Nutmeg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler
Makosdad, Thanks, but that leads to another question. When you say you would do a double if doing it again, is that for needing a bit more light output, or the option of having one driving and the other flood for the different beam patterns or solely for the look/cosmetics of the twin setup? Also is yours the all driving light model? I appreciate your feedback as I try to do this right the first time.

rnocon

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Wrangler Rubicon
Might have to pick this light bar up if they have a black friday sale!

Looks great!

Diode Dynamics

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.diodedynamics.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler
Might have to pick this light bar up if they have a black friday sale!

Looks great!
We definitely are! You can use coupon code "BLACKFRIDAY" for 20% off sitewide!

Jake H.
Diode Dynamics