Diode Dynamics HD LED Halos

Bondyjd

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
I installed the new Diode Dynamics HD LED Halos on my 2018 JLUR and am having am having an issue. While the install was challenging to say the least, every looked pretty good in the end. When I have the engine off and the ignition is in the “Run” position, everything looks and works great. The switchback function works well for both sides (to include the hazards), and the white halo is nice and bright. When I turn the engine on the turn signals/halos do not work and I get an error message on my center console saying “Turn Signal Light out”. The fact that all functions work great when the car is off tells me that everything is connected properly. I purchased the Jeep with halogen lights, but have replaced the bulbs with LEDs from Oracle Lighting. I also swapped out the turns for the Morimoto XB LED turns. All of those still work. I am wondering if it is an issue where I need to get a tazer to switch the settings from Halogen to LED for the turns and headlights??? Any thoughts?
Sponsored

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Yea, try the Tazer. It fixes all sorts of things. How do the DD halos wire up? Spliced into the turn signal line?

OP
OP

Bondyjd

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yea, try the Tazer. It fixes all sorts of things. How do the DD halos wire up? Spliced into the turn signal line?
That’s what I was thinkin’. The DD Halo’s have four wires, two tap into the headlight harness (high beam/low beam) and two tap into the turn signal harness (ground/turn signal). I tapped into the turn signal harness just before the connection between the engine compartment and the fender. Getting the clear lenses off the headlight assembly was a real pain. I ended up using a dremel to cut away some of the channel the lens was sealed into and then using a razor blade and small screwdriver I was able to finally get it off without damaging the lens. The sides don’t look that pretty, but you can’t see any of the cut and sealed area with the grill on.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Service
Why would it need to tap into the headlight high/low wires? That makes them not serve as DRL’s, and seems more likely to run into canbus issues. As far as the turn signals go, that should be correct. Do they light up at all? Do your turn signals on the fenders still function?

Looking at the DD website, you should tap the high power white led to the DRL circuit, the low power to the headlight low beam circuit, and the turns as you have done.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Service
Sahara and Rubicon-Left Side
Headlight Connector:
  • Low Power (50% Brightness): White/Blue
  • High Power (100% Brightness): Brown/Blue
DRL/Turn Signal Connector:
  • Turn Signal: White/Green
  • Ground: Black

Sahara and Rubicon-Right Side
Headlight Connector:
  • Low Power (50% Brightness): White/Orange
  • High Power (100% Brightness): Brown/Orange
  • Turn Signal: White/Green (I believe they are wrong, it should be white/beige)

Sponsored

OP
OP

Bondyjd

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Headlight Connector:

Headlight Connector:
Completely agree, This is a screenshot of the wiring diagram, which looks like what you listed. Looking at the screenshot, I read it as the high power should go to pin 2 of the headlight harness, am I crazy on this one?
7A352CF1-2111-4302-8F72-8EEE4DAD62B9.png
The wires on the headlight harness were different colors that what was listed on the instructions. Thankfully all the Jeep wiring diagrams are under the Resources section of this website. From there I found the correct colors to use for low and high. Now that I think of it, i’m not 100% on if the halo’s functioned as they should when the DRLs are on. I’ll have to double check that and get back to you. I do know the neither of the halos were on when I went to see if the turns signals were indicating when the engine was running.

OP
OP

Bondyjd

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Headlight Connector:

Headlight Connector:
Why would it need to tap into the headlight high/low wires? That makes them not serve as DRL’s, and seems more likely to run into canbus issues. As far as the turn signals go, that should be correct. Do they light up at all? Do your turn signals on the fenders still function?

Looking at the DD website, you should tap the high power white led to the DRL circuit, the low power to the headlight low beam circuit, and the turns as you have done.
The turn signals worked great when the engine was off and the ignition was in “Run”, hazards worked great too. The fender signals worked well when the engine was off to. They did stop working when my dash indicated a “Turn signal light out” error. I disconnected the halos for the time being, and re-started the Jeep and the fender turn signals began working as normal again.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Service
That is quite strange. Have you done any other mods to the fender lights? Oh I see, you installed morimoto turns. I don’t know anything about them other than that they were quite problematic when first released.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Service
Completely agree, This is a screenshot of the wiring diagram, which looks like what you listed. Looking at the screenshot, I read it as the high power should go to pin 2 of the headlight harness, am I crazy on this one?
7A352CF1-2111-4302-8F72-8EEE4DAD62B9.png
The wires on the headlight harness were different colors that what was listed on the instructions. Thankfully all the Jeep wiring diagrams are under the Resources section of this website. From there I found the correct colors to use for low and high. Now that I think of it, i’m not 100% on if the halo’s functioned as they should when the DRLs are on. I’ll have to double check that and get back to you. I do know the neither of the halos were on when I went to see if the turns signals were indicating when the engine was running.
Try turning your engine on, and your headlights on. I think their instructions are just wrong.

OP
OP

Bondyjd

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Try turning your engine on, and your headlights on. I think their instructions are just wrong.
Well, I got the tazer and changed the turn signal and headlight setting from halogen to LED. The morimoto turns and DD Halos now work great when the engine is on. You were right on the High power (Red) wire, the halos are not on Acting as a DRL when the headlights are on. Tomorrow I will be moving the red wire to tap into the DRL driver wires on the left/right DRL harnesses and leaving the low power (white) wire where it is. After thinking about it, this definitely makes more sense. I’ll let you know how it goes. At least progress has been made. Once confirmed, I intend on writing DD to let them know their instructions are incorrect.

Sponsored

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Service
Well, I got the tazer and changed the turn signal and headlight setting from halogen to LED. The morimoto turns and DD Halos now work great when the engine is on. You were right on the High power (Red) wire, the halos are not on Acting as a DRL when the headlights are on. Tomorrow I will be moving the red wire to tap into the DRL driver wires on the left/right DRL harnesses and leaving the low power (white) wire where it is. After thinking about it, this definitely makes more sense. I’ll let you know how it goes. At least progress has been made. Once confirmed, I intend on writing DD to let them know their instructions are incorrect.
Nice! The Tazer is a great tool.

OP
OP

Bondyjd

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A5BF611C-216F-4E81-826E-55EE5D85C9F3.jpeg
B4DEF365-5778-48C7-AF48-8BD293105206.jpeg
1FD0D4F3-A91C-4CE9-B152-400FFE014F74.jpeg
Nice! The Tazer is a great tool.
Moving the Red wire to the DRL driver wire prior to both of the fender harnesses worked! The halos now function properly as DRLs. Looks like I am full up round! Here are some pics of both the DD Halos and Morimoto XB LED turns working as they should. I have the hazards on to show both sides demonstrating the switchback function.[GALLERY=][/GALLERY]

OP
OP

Bondyjd

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Moving the Red wire to the DRL driver wire prior to both of the fender harnesses worked! The halos now function properly as DRLs. Looks like I am full up round! Here are some pics of both the DD Halos and Morimoto XB LED turns working as they should. I have the hazards on to show both sides demonstrating the switchback function.[GALLERY=][/GALLERY]
I had a video I took too, but I can’t figure out how to get it to post on this website, it keeps erroring out.....

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Service

Man those look awesome, nicely done.

What are those fog lights, OEM halogen housings with yellow film?

OP
OP

Bondyjd

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Man those look awesome, nicely done.

What are those fog lights, OEM halogen housings with yellow film?
Thanks!! The fog lights are Quadratec LED Fog Lights. They came in either white or amber and were about $140. Really easy install, they were an easy plug-and-play addition. They worked great well before I received the Tazor JL.
Sponsored