Sponsored

Dilemma: my dealer just made me a very interesting offer...

5foot19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Yea, I didn't see that at first. I just quickly read, Complimentary Maintenance for a Limited Time, and thought it was for all Jeeps in Canada

It's totally not fair!
I don't wanna say Canadian jeepers get shafted, because we can still get the same jeeps/features, but we dont get as much as our bretheren to the south. A lot of the things like trail rides or schools put on by jeep is a US only thing, there are no Canadian trail badges, etc...

C'est la vie *shrug*

BCFRJeeper

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1991 Wrangler YJ 2020 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited
Occupation
Retired Navy
I love my diesel, I get about 24.5-25.0 mpg in the city and I have yet to fill the Def in 10K, just a little over 1/4 tank remaining. The oil change was that bad on the wallet actually, the hardest part was waiting for the filter to come in. Overall, I'm very very happy with the diesel, and it's always fun watching peoples faces when you put the diesel nozzle in to fill it up... I've even had people try to tell me I'm going to kill my engine, I deleted the Eco Diesel markings.

OP
OP
JLBoucher

JLBoucher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2DR Willys 6MT
Solid. It’s a Fiat motor with a short and mixed history - look it up. I wouldn't touch it with a stick. I will never buy another diesel, own a MB 3.0. Diesel fuel is more expensive now, for starters. The rather old saying of getting better gas mileage is countered by the more expensive fuel. However - the real problem is one freak’n emissions repair will immediately wipe out any savings you convinced yourself you were getting, if not your entire bank account. Will be interesting to see what people say about these motors here on this forum when they start reaching 60k+ miles in large numbers.
Actually, diesel is much cheaper than petrol in Quebec right now. I forgot to mention.

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
The resale value of the Wrangler makes it a poor candidate for a lease. The car will hold it's value and your lease payment will likely not reflect that.

Here are your potential missteps:
  • Leasing a Wrangler
  • Settling rather than ordering
  • Believing the dealer on the length of time to obtain an ordered Jeep
  • Buying/leasing a demo
  • Using monthly payment levels as a determining factor.
  • Believing that the dealer has their financial interests aligned with yours

Have I missed anything? You are getting a ton of good suggestions on this thread - listen to them.

Last edited:

Sponsored

johnnyj

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeepless but still a fan.
I will throw my hat in advising against a lease. Lease "interest rate" is a bit of a half truth. Yes, your monthly payments might be the same or lower when compared to a conventional loan - and dealers use this comparison because they want customers to think it's apples to apples when it isn't. If your goal is to never own your vehicle and/or never have equity in a financed vehicle (not my recommendation but some people's choice) then leases can seem attractive. Leases, however, amount to a customer financing the dealers ability to make exorbitant profit later on due to cost of capital.

When you lease a vehicle the numbers that really matter are the total you have paid at the end of the lease, the buy-out price at the end of the lease, and what the OTD price would have been had you financed it conventionally - we'll call that the cost of capital. When comparing the differences between the two, the average is about 14% on most cars in the USA - a rate no one would consider good. Decent car loans are 3.5-4%. Not sure about Canada, but car dealers aren't *that* different.

The smart move on a wrangler that depreciates very slowly is to get the one you ordered, and finance it conventionally with the biggest down payment you can possibly afford. Then, pay more than the monthly and build further equity in the vehicle instead of financing the dealers ability to make that back in a markup by selling your trade. Make your payments work for you, not those guys. Then, in three years time, you have a choice - trade in the vehicle and have great equity towards a different one, or keep it and pay it off. Financially, both make far more sense than leasing.

The end goal here is to eventually own a wrangler free and clear, and then use a sinking fund to build up to a state where your trade in of your wrangler is 50% of the value of the new one and you use the sinking fund to write a check for the rest. Then, you start another sinking fund that very day for the term you wanna own the new wrangler, and rinse/repeat at that time, never making another car payment again. On a vehicle where you will lose little on depreciation, why not keep most of it for you rather than a fat cat dealership owner?

Now - When does a lease make sense? Almost never, but having to choose a lease as the only option, the most sensical would be if you want to drive some kind of vehicle that drops in value like a brick immediately after purchase. That way, the dealer eats the cost. You will find dealerships don't lease vehicles like this much, though. =)

Last edited:

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I don't wanna say Canadian jeepers get shafted, because we can still get the same jeeps/features, but we dont get as much as our bretheren to the south. A lot of the things like trail rides or schools put on by jeep is a US only thing, there are no Canadian trail badges, etc...

C'est la vie *shrug*
Part of the problem is Canada’s sparsely populated geography.

When I lived in California, a state with as many people as all of Canada jammed in a space smaller than Saskatchewan, Chrysler held two SRT events/year in the Los Angeles area and two in the Bay Area. It was able to draw about 50 attendees per event. It held similar events in other large metro areas like Atlanta, Houston and NYC.

In Canada, the only market large enough to do that would be Toronto, and perhaps Vancouver. Which means the rest of Canada would be SOL.

Oldbear

First Name
Dwayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel; 20 JL Sport S 2 door
The Ecodiesel is now in its 3rdgeneration, and its a pretty solid platform. For your commute and use it would be great. I’ve driven diesel pickup’s for decades and my current Ecodiesel is the best of the lot, great power, a 4wd quad cab truck that’ll give 31+ (US) on the highway all day long. Oil change every 10 k miles, I use about 3.5 gallons pump DEF every 4500-5k miles ( in normal use) slightly more when towing. Will deliver a solid 16 mpg pulling our Lance TT. I’d take the diesel in a heartbeat at the same price...

NBB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR
Actually, diesel is much cheaper than petrol in Quebec right now. I forgot to mention.
How long do you figure before you recover the roughly $6k up front difference in price?

LarryB

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport 2 dr
I have been in sales for 20 years. One day, I may actually make a special offer that is NOT in my favour, but in fact, is worse for me. I may also win the lottery and date Kate Upton ... could happen.

While I am not saying this is a bad deal, it is obviously a good one for your dealership. Be wide awake walking into this one.

Sponsored

OP
OP
JLBoucher

JLBoucher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2DR Willys 6MT

C'est la vie *shrug*
Then i'll say it: we get shafted. :)

OP
OP
JLBoucher

JLBoucher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2DR Willys 6MT
I have been in sales for 20 years. One day, I may actually make a special offer that is NOT in my favour, but in fact, is worse for me. I may also win the lottery and date Kate Upton ... could happen.

While I am not saying this is a bad deal, it is obviously a good one for your dealership. Be wide awake walking into this one.
Already said a couple of times in this thread I walked away from the deal.

OP
OP
JLBoucher

JLBoucher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2DR Willys 6MT
How long do you figure before you recover the roughly $6k up front difference in price?
It's actually 9k $CAN, here in Quebec.

About three years, oil changes and maintenance included. I live in the country so the pint of milk itself is a 20 miles trip on secondary roads. How do you call them in USA: nationals? Not the highway but...50 miles an hour roads...

OP
OP
JLBoucher

JLBoucher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2DR Willys 6MT
The Ecodiesel is now in its 3rdgeneration, and its a pretty solid platform. For your commute and use it would be great. I’ve driven diesel pickup’s for decades and my current Ecodiesel is the best of the lot, great power, a 4wd quad cab truck that’ll give 31+ (US) on the highway all day long. Oil change every 10 k miles, I use about 3.5 gallons pump DEF every 4500-5k miles ( in normal use) slightly more when towing. Will deliver a solid 16 mpg pulling our Lance TT. I’d take the diesel in a heartbeat at the same price...
That 3,5 gallons of DEF. How much does it cost?

Karnak

First Name
Yan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JL 3.6 Sport S - 2 door
Occupation
government
Vehicle Showcase
That 3,5 gallons of DEF. How much does it cost?
Canadian tire advertises it at 19.99 for 9.5L just to give you an idea but the price is not the only issue the problem also lies in the fact you almost have to carry one around (it may be more available everywhere now though) because if the jeep engine is similar to the RAM cummins I had, if you run out of DEF, it'll go into into Limp mode and then your SoL so you HAVE to make sure you calculate your DEF and never run it in the lower portion of the DEF tank so as to risk running out or always fill up the DEF regularly even when its half tank etc. I used to carry a jug in the back of my RAM for this in case I was going to a remote town area where there may not be any readily available at stations etc. Diesel owners can chime in since I'm totally unaware at what rate the jeep diesel consumes DEF etc compared to my cummins as I didn't et the diesel this time.

so the savings you get from a diesel are nowadays somewhat reduced by the DEF regular cost. you may save on diesel price, but that saving is reduced in part and thats something to calculate too as it increased your return on investment timeframe for the diesel.
Sponsored