Sponsored

Dilemma: my dealer just made me a very interesting offer...

TheConquerorWorm

First Name
Rusty S.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tundra, ordered ('21 JLUR)
Occupation
Trouble Maker
Question is: am I winning too, considering all the miles i'll have to do? That's the only interesting question for me. Dealer can get a tasty BJ with the extra money if he wants to, I don't give a flying f***. :)
I'm not sure how to respond to the BJ part. I tend to agree with you I suppose. However, there's a thread on this forum right now about a guy that's having big-time troubles with his Ecodiesel, and every time I see that thread pop up I'm happy I ordered the 3.6L instead. Someone else said the Pentastar is tried and tested. It's not a Toyota but it's a damn good engine with loads of parts and suppliers. Plus, c'mon man, the WIlly's is cool as hell.

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
Hi there, bonjour.

So. Some of you know I just ordered a '21 2DR Willys. But my dealer just called me to make a very, very, very interesting offer.

Instead of waiting about 4-5 months for the car to get here, he offered me to lease the Ecodiesel Sport Altitude demo he has at the dealership.

All in all, the bi-weekly payments would be about the same (3-4 $CAN more, nothing to care about).

I know some of you own diesels. I do about 50 miles as a daily commute. Plus, I have a city house that I must take care of in Quebec City, at about 200 miles from home (every two weeks or so).

I also know an oil change costs a s*** ton of money on the Diesel. But with my calculations, I think it'll cost me less in fuel. Insurances would be about the same.

What do you think? What else should I calculate?

Thanks for you input, merci.
4-5 months? In the states it’s 4-5 weeks. Does Canada take that much longer, or is the dealer trying to discourage you from ordering?

Sponsored

OP
OP
JLBoucher

JLBoucher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2DR Willys 6MT
According to Jeep Canada website, you do? https://www.jeep.ca/en/jeep-wave
Ah, there you go.

In the "*conditions may apply*" section.

" Beginning with the 2021 model year, the All-New Jeep® Grand Cherokee L is automatically enrolled into the Jeep WaveTM program."

I guess it's an answer to our question...

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
I don't get the point of leasing it. Are you planning to keep the Jeep or walk away after the lease is up?

Because if you were planning to walk away, you are basically paying monthly payments towards nothing and the car will never be yours.

If you were planning to keep it, why lease it in the first place?

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
It takes much longer. Trade deals, cars get stock at the border, etc.
Please clarify you comments on the monthly payments. Are you saying that the lease payments would be essentially the same for the lease versus the loan on the ordered Jeep? If so you’d be foregoing the residual value - which on a Wrangler is quite high.

I also agree with the poster that said if it’s better for the dealer, it’s worse for you.

OP
OP
JLBoucher

JLBoucher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2DR Willys 6MT
I don't get the point of leasing it. Are you planning to keep the Jeep or walk away after the lease is up?

Because if you were planning to walk away, you are basically paying monthly payments towards nothing and the car will never be yours.

If you were planning to keep it, why lease it in the first place?
Good question.

I consider a lease for a couple of reasons. First, if that electric Jeep finally comes out, i'll be able to get my hands on one of those at the end of the lease.

Lease payments are usually lower than financing. And right now, interest rates are lower on a lease than it is for financing, in Canada. So it's kind of extra money in my pocket during the lease.

Plus, the money you pay during the lease is as if you went for a cash down on a used Jeep, in 5 years. You only pay for the residual. Knowing the market value for a Wrangler is always very high, it's as if I was buying a used one on the cheap.

So all in all, it gives me room if I want to switch in five years and it'd make the residual go down if I want to keep it in five years. For me, at least, it's a win-win situation.

Now, is the EcoDiesel engine will answer my needs? It sure looks like it, yes, but i'm looking for inputs.

I just found a thread where that poor guy seems to have a hard time with his new EcoDiesel. It's in the balance...

Sponsored

OP
OP
JLBoucher

JLBoucher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2DR Willys 6MT
Please clarify you comments on the monthly payments. Are you saying that the lease payments would be essentially the same for the lease versus the loan on the ordered Jeep? If so you’d be foregoing the residual value - which on a Wrangler is quite high.

I also agree with the poster that said if it’s better for the dealer, it’s worse for you.
It's bi-weeky, actually. ;)

The lease payments would be around the same as the lease for a Willys (it wasn't financing, I want to be able to switch for an electric one if it comes out one day).

If I add up the lease payments i'd make for the next five years, the residual would be lower than if I was buying cold the same Jeep in five years. I'm sorry for my bad english, hope I make it clear enough.

Simply put: i'd still have 23 000 $ CAN to put on residual in five years. But a well equiped 9 year-old JK is still 25 000 $ CAN right now. So as you can see, i'd "save" money (if saving money buying a vehicle is possible).

Some Random Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Sport, 2022 Ford Mustang
Occupation
Comptroller
Not going to pick any one quote, but there is such a thing as a win-win as OP noted. If zero sum was the answer to life there wouldn’t be things like jobs, contracts or marriage.
Getting specific about a leasing, it can make a lot of sense. It buys you time before sinking capital into a purchase. Waiting for something that isn’t released yet? A 2 year lease allows it to come out and get into the second model year before you buy, working initial kinks out. Not sure a specific lifestyle is for you? Try it for a lease then trade at the end if you have equity, buy it out if you love it, or walk away. Not sure the diesel is reliable? Lease it so you aren’t caught owning a wrangler that tanks in value like the last Fiesta/Focus did. The wrangler holds value so well you can also probably get out of a lease any time if you’re worried about life changes tanking your budget. Really, modification is the only potential sticking point I see. Even then, it sounds like people usually don’t have problems. I’m guessing because of the high residual the dealership can deal with the mods. But if you know you want a specific one, it makes more sense to buy it.

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
Two questions:

1) what is the warranty period on the demo vehicle? Is it the same as a new vehicle for you or, do the existing miles “count” and therefore lower your warranty miles?
2) if the diesel sounds like a good idea to you now, why didn’t you order one when you placed your order? Are you just jumping at a vehicle that’s here now or is it really something that you want? Also, I have lost track of all the models...the altitude is 4 doors right? You ordered a two door..... same questions as above.

OP
OP
JLBoucher

JLBoucher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2DR Willys 6MT
Two questions:

1) what is the warranty period on the demo vehicle? Is it the same as a new vehicle for you or, do the existing miles “count” and therefore lower your warranty miles?
2) if the diesel sounds like a good idea to you now, why didn’t you order one when you placed your order? Are you just jumping at a vehicle that’s here now or is it really something that you want? Also, I have lost track of all the models...the altitude is 4 doors right? You ordered a two door..... same questions as above.
1) Full 3-year warranty, as brand new.
2) I didn't get the diesel simply because it's a 9000 $ option that's now 75% less simply because it's a demo. I don't really mind it being 4 door.