Sponsored

Dilemma: my dealer just made me a very interesting offer...

JLBoucher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2DR Willys 6MT
Hi there, bonjour.

So. Some of you know I just ordered a '21 2DR Willys. But my dealer just called me to make a very, very, very interesting offer.

Instead of waiting about 4-5 months for the car to get here, he offered me to lease the Ecodiesel Sport Altitude demo he has at the dealership.

All in all, the bi-weekly payments would be about the same (3-4 $CAN more, nothing to care about).

I know some of you own diesels. I do about 50 miles as a daily commute. Plus, I have a city house that I must take care of in Quebec City, at about 200 miles from home (every two weeks or so).

I also know an oil change costs a s*** ton of money on the Diesel. But with my calculations, I think it'll cost me less in fuel. Insurances would be about the same.

What do you think? What else should I calculate?

Thanks for you input, merci.
Sponsored

40”JLURD

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Unlimited Rubicon Diesel
Occupation
Bad Mother Fucker
DEF fluid usage at about 3% of Diesel usage rate

blueweb

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'04 TJ Rubicon, '22 4xe Rubicon
Is this EcoDiesel lease to replace the Willy's pre-order, or just a temporary vehicle until you get your Willy's?

Yondu_JLU

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Sport S
Hi there, bonjour.

So. Some of you know I just ordered a '21 2DR Willys. But my dealer just called me to make a very, very, very interesting offer.

Instead of waiting about 4-5 months for the car to get here, he offered me to lease the Ecodiesel Sport Altitude demo he has at the dealership.

All in all, the bi-weekly payments would be about the same (3-4 $CAN more, nothing to care about).

I know some of you own diesels. I do about 50 miles as a daily commute. Plus, I have a city house that I must take care of in Quebec City, at about 200 miles from home (every two weeks or so).

I also know an oil change costs a s*** ton of money on the Diesel. But with my calculations, I think it'll cost me less in fuel. Insurances would be about the same.

What do you think? What else should I calculate?

Thanks for you input, merci.
I mean....you would get a set of D44s and 3.73 gears as opposed to the D30/35 or D30/44 split on a Willy's w/ 3.45s. Guess it depends on how much you're gonna off-road it and how big of a tire you want to run in the foreseeable future.
BUTTTTTTTT........
The Eco-diesel is still a very new platform too, whereas the 2.0t and 3.6 have been around for 3 years - over a decade, respectively. If you're looking to avoid problems I'd go with the tried engines as opposed to a new one, especially since you have a long daily commute.

Just my thoughts :CWL:

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
The EcoDiesels sell slow around here. I don’t know what it would like up there in a cold climate.

On the other hand, the Willys models sell very quick around here. I notice more and more on the road and on this forum.

They are probably trying to honestly work with you and move a hard to sell unit at the same time. They know that when the 2dr Willys you ordered arrives, it will sell pretty quick.

Offer to make their payment on it plus an extra 15%, like a long term rental, until the Jeep you wanted and special ordered arrives.

Sponsored

OP
OP
JLBoucher

JLBoucher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2DR Willys 6MT
Is this EcoDiesel lease to replace the Willy's pre-order, or just a temporary vehicle until you get your Willy's?
To replace. He's pretty sure he'll sell my order in a heartbeat anyway. Plus, manuals are pretty rare so he was perfectly honest saying he'd like my 2DR as a tester.

OP
OP
JLBoucher

JLBoucher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2DR Willys 6MT
I mean....you would get a set of D44s and 3.73 gears as opposed to the D30/35 or D30/44 split on a Willy's w/ 3.45s. Guess it depends on how much you're gonna off-road it and how big of a tire you want to run in the foreseeable future.
BUTTTTTTTT........
The Eco-diesel is still a very new platform too, whereas the 2.0t and 3.6 have been around for 3 years - over a decade, respectively. If you're looking to avoid problems I'd go with the tried engines as opposed to a new one, especially since you have a long daily commute.

Just my thoughts :CWL:
Those are exactly the points I have in mind. If it was, I don't know, a VW for example, i'd just jump on the offer, knowing they've been doing diesels for ages.

This, even if they're trying to market it as a similar engine to the RAM's, is a new engine. That being said, they seem to be pretty reliable as of now.

OP
OP
JLBoucher

JLBoucher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2DR Willys 6MT
The EcoDiesels sell slow around here. I don’t know what it would like up there in a cold climate.

On the other hand, the Willys models sell very quick around here. I notice more and more on the road and on this forum.

They are probably trying to honestly work with you and move a hard to sell unit at the same time. They know that when the 2dr Willys you ordered arrives, it will sell pretty quick.

Offer to make their payment on it plus an extra 15%, like a long term rental, until the Jeep you wanted and special ordered arrives.
They also sell slow in Quebec but I suppose the 9000 $CAN extra is the main reason. You know, that engine option alone is worth a base Mitsubishi Mirage, when you think about it...

Some Random Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Sport, 2022 Ford Mustang
Occupation
Comptroller
How do leases handle modifications? I never even thought about a lease because I assumed it needs to be returned to factory settings by the end, unless you purchase it.

OP
OP
JLBoucher

JLBoucher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2DR Willys 6MT
How do leases handle modifications? I never even thought about a lease because I assumed it needs to be returned to factory settings by the end, unless you purchase it.
You put your finger on a very important and valid point.

Lease means you have to bring it back as stock as possible. That being said, about 98 % of dealers are keeping their eyes closed on modifications if you say "I want another one" when your lease ends. They'll probably just put it in the parking lot as a "rare gem" and sell it for a mark up, as you do.

You can also buy back the residual value of the car at the end of your lease, if you want to keep it. As if you were buying a used Jeep...that was yours all along.

Sponsored

blueweb

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
To replace. He's pretty sure he'll sell my order in a heartbeat anyway. Plus, manuals are pretty rare so he was perfectly honest saying he'd like my 2DR as a tester.
Okay then, what is your current vehicle setup? Do you need a new vehicle this second? Do you want to wait for the Willy's? Are you comfortable giving up that vehicle for a different vehicle?

I assume you wouldn't be asking us this question if you weren't considering the deal. I personally would ask them to lower the monthly lease payments, since you are kinda doing the dealership a favor.

Based on the information about the Jeep Wave program in the state, 2021 lease vehicles are included with the program, which means you will get 3 free oil changes. And since it is a lease, you don't have to worry about any other maintenance.

blueweb

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You put your finger on a very important and valid point.

Lease means you have to bring it back as stock as possible. That being said, about 98 % of dealers are keeping their eyes closed on modifications if you say "I want another one" when your lease ends. They'll probably just put it in the parking lot as a "rare gem" and sell it for a mark up, as you do.

You can also buy back the residual value of the car at the end of your lease if you want to keep it. As if you were buying a used Jeep...that was yours all along.
I do have a friend who had a lease on a 2018 JK. He modded it a little, with bigger tires, a small lift, and an aftermarket bumper. He ended up breaking the lease a year later cause the payments were just too much for him and the dealership took it back with no problems about the mods. He didn't get any of his money back though as increased residual value.

OP
OP
JLBoucher

JLBoucher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2DR Willys 6MT
Okay then, what is your current vehicle setup? Do you need a new vehicle this second? Do you want to wait for the Willy's? Are you comfortable giving up that vehicle for a different vehicle?

I assume you wouldn't be asking us this question if you weren't considering the deal. I personally would ask them to lower the monthly lease payments, since you are kinda doing the dealership a favor.

Based on the information about the Jeep Wave program in the state, 2021 lease vehicles are included with the program, which means you will get 3 free oil changes. And since it is a lease, you don't have to worry about any other maintenance.
Actually, they're doing me a favor too. That 9000 $ CAN option for the Diesel is about 75 % cheaper than usual since it's a demo. On the other hand, they're getting a manual 2DR they're having a lot of trouble to find.

So it's kind of a win-win on paper. The questions I have in mind are: am I shooting myself in the foot maintaining this engine? Is it reliable? Will I always be stock with a stupid brown Compass while my Wrangler's getting another fix at the dealer? Those are kind of my issues right now.

Unfortunately, Jeep Canada didn't get in the 3 free oil changes bandwagon...

OP
OP
JLBoucher

JLBoucher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2DR Willys 6MT
If the dealer wants to change the deal, it's in his favor. Always.
Of course. He's getting rid of a 2021 Ecodiesel tester with 5k miles on it pretty quick while being the only one, hundred of miles around, who's able to offer a 6MT test drive. If you put yourself in his shoes, of course he wins.

Question is: am I winning too, considering all the miles i'll have to do? That's the only interesting question for me. Dealer can get a tasty BJ with the extra money if he wants to, I don't give a flying f***. :)
Sponsored