Sponsored

Difficulty deciding on options/packages for JLUR order

Roody

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR order cancelled; 2012 Wrangler
Hi all! Been lurking here since the JL was released and am finally ramping up to place an order for a JLUR in Hydro Blue with the 3.6 and 6-speed. I'm trying to keep the options/packages in check and am looking for some insight. The only "definite" as of now is the Cold Weather Group. Everything else I flip-flop back and forth on. Trying to reason myself into and/or out of some of the niceties as price isn't a "concern" per se, but I have to keep it within reason for my order to remain within budget. What does everyone think regarding the following?
  • 8.4" Radio and Premium Audio Group vs Alpine Premium Audio --- Do I need the added screen size? Absolutely not. Would it be nice to have the extra stuff that comes with it? Of course. I care more about the stereo itself than the screen. Upgrading the stereo by means of aftermarket isn't an option for me (I've done that before and don't want to do so again, and like having a factory warranty for electronics), so it comes down to just the Alpine stereo or the stereo plus the larger screen. Currently leaning towards: Alpine Premium Audio.
  • Standard soft top vs Premium Soft Top vs Hard Top --- Ultimately I'd like to end up with both a soft and hard top, but a lot of this decision comes down to whether it's better to have the warranty for the soft top or the hard top, and/or which is going to be less expensive to purchase after the fact. But the reality is that I love how easy the soft top is to peel back and/or remove. That said, the added security that comes with the hard top is nice (and one of the reasons I went with the PRHT for my Miata vs the soft top). Instinct says go with the premium soft top, as it's more insulating and of a better quality than the standard one, and because it still retains the supremely easy open-air readiness that I'm specifically seeking out a Jeep for. And it's less expensive than the hard top, to boot. But living in a city makes me wonder if the hard top is the better call. Currently leaning towards: Premium Soft Top.
  • LED Lighting Kit --- Of course this is a fantastic thing to have as I do tend to drive on dark, unlit back roads with considerable frequency. And again, having a warranty for something like lights is nice. But at almost $1300 (invoice price), going aftermarket is a much less expensive option. I don't care so much about the fender marker lights, but really like the LED headlights and taillights. And the factor of not having to make changes to lights, plus the warranty aspect. Currently leaning towards: Going with the LED Lighting Kit option (vs aftermarket).
  • Trailer Tow and HD Electrical Group --- Probably the package I flip-flop most over. I have almost no intention of adding any further lighting but will likely eventually add a winch and possibly air compressor. Which, I know from prior experience, are easy enough to wire up on its own. There is, however, a good chance of towing a small trailer with an ATV on it (probably 2500-3000 lbs absolute max, probably a fair amount lighter). Some of my reading tells me this package includes stiffer rear springs in addition to the pre-wiring and switches. Is it worth it? I'm undecided. Probably makes more sense than adding it in the future. And certainly more sense than trying to add it myself. Currently leaning towards: Including the Trailer Tow and HD Electrical Group in my order.
  • Steel Bumper Group --- It seems that buying these secondhand is a much better proposition than from the factory. I do genuinely like the look and functionality of these versus the aftermarket options, and am leaning towards just trying to buy a set off the Classifieds, Facebook (group or Marketplace), or even Craigslist. Currently leaning towards: Standard bumpers.
As is, this leaves me with the Cold Weather Group, Alpine Premium Audio group, Premium Soft Top, LED Lighting Kit, and Trailer Tow & HD Electrical Group. It brings the total to ~$48k (2% under invoice), $46k (6% under invoice), or $45k (8% under invoice) depending on where I order from. I'd really love to knock the total price down a bit but can't decide where and how, aka by omission of which package/options. Any and all insight is appreciated. I'm at full-fledged analysis paralysis here! And yes, I've done some extensive research but eventually that's a black hole resulting in being able to justify anything and everything. This will be my first Jeep, my first auto loan in a few years, a vehicle I've looked forward to owning my entire life. I want to make sure that when I put in my order, it has exactly what will be the best way to spend my money. And the Jeep I'm happy with day-in and day-out.

Cheers,
Ross
Sponsored

The_Paper_Cut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JL Sport 2-Door
the 8.4” screen comes with the alpine audio, so you get one you also get the other. I’d highly recommend getting it. I have the 7” in my sport now and it’s nice, but the 8.4 would be a much nicer screen, plus having navigation, off road data, etc, would all be really nice, plus the 8.4 just fits and looks nicer in the Jeep and doesn’t look “cheap”. Plus the stereo is upgraded as well, so definitely worth it.

I live in San Diego, just 5 minutes from downtown and I have the premium soft top. I had similar concerns as you with people breaking in and what not. But I’m getting a Jeep to be able to take the top and doors off. The premium soft top is amazing, super high quality, and super easy to put up/down on your own. If someone wants to take something from inside your Jeep, they’re going to, regardless of if you have a soft or hard top. But on the other hand. If you don’t get a hard top from factory then you won’t have the included wiring for the defroster or plumbing for the rear windshield fluid. So keep that in mind. I didn’t care because I never plan on switching to or using a hard top. Don’t be scared to get a soft top

LED kit. I recommend it, because it looks really nice and LED is way better than halogen. I just ordered a 21 JLUR and included the LED kit. But on my current 2020 JL Sport I didn’t and had to get aftermarket stuff. It’s ultimately up to you. There’s good aftermarket options, but if you really like the way the OEM ones look then get the package from factory. You won’t be able to replicate that look 100% with what’s in aftermarket now. If you prefer the look of those ones, get it. If you just want to have LED lights but don’t necessarily care about how the OEM ones look, then just do aftermarket ones

Trailer Tow is up to you. I didn’t get it and instead bought myself a receiver hitch and 6 aux switches which mount at the same spot as the factory ones separately for $450 total. But if you do plan on actually towing something then it’s probably a package you’re going to want. It does come with stiffer springs. I’d say get this one.

steel Bumper, again if you like the look of the OEM one then just get it. I didn’t like how the aftermarket options looked so I got the OEM one. Plus it comes with stiffer springs so you don’t have to deal with the sag that installing aftermarket steel bumpers provides. But you can definitely find cheaper aftermarket options than what Mopar offers.

when I ordered mine I kept the mindset Of “this is a vehicle I will have for the foreseeable future, I want to make sure I get everything I want on it”. I ended up going $2k over budget but it was definitely worth it knowing that I won’t have to deal with regret or anything down the road. Good luck!

ToothMechanic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Billet JLUR
You absolutely should get the upgraded screen/sound system. It's one of my favorite things about the JL.

I'm a big fan of all the other options as well but that's the one 'can't skip' IMO.

OP
OP
Roody

Roody

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@The_Paper_Cut Thank you for the insight! I had read about the defroster wiring and rear washer plumbing not being there if you don't order the factory hard top, but it completely slipped my mind. I guess this probably falls into the category of "better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it" and getting a soft top (be it an aftermarket option or a factory option) afterwards is less intrusive and expensive than having to add the wiring and plumbing for the hard top. Excellent point about that. Also wondering if maybe I can find OEM LED headlight take-offs from somebody upgrading to an aftermarket look. Your $2k over budget point is totally valid, but even with the hard top I'm already well over original budget!

@ToothMechanic Any reason other than personal preference? I spend an excessive amount of time staring at screens as-is thanks to work and other obligations, and don't mind the smaller screen at all. The upgraded sound system, however, is something I will definitely be inculding.

kkarnage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 392, 2020 JLUR, 2015 JKR
Occupation
Retired
8.4" Screen
You won't regret getting this, especially if you use CarPlay or the Android equivalent. It also makes the controls ever so slightly bigger, which makes them easier to use when driving, because there's simply more real estate for every button. The Alpine Premium Audio that comes with it is actually pretty darn good, and well worth it too.

LED Kit
Highly recommended. It not only works exceptionally well, it also looks fantastic. Every time I see a JL with non-LED lighting, it's pretty obvious that the aesthetics of the vehicle were designed around LED lighting. Probably something to do with the color temperature of the LEDs, or it could just be my old eyes.

Tow Package
If you're going to do any towing at all, then this is well worth it. It also gives you an upgraded alternator, which can never be a bad thing. For me, I knew I was going to drop in a Genesis dual battery setup, which alone already made the beefier alternator worth it, having that extra grunt to refill both batteries faster. The other reason it worked for me is that I have 2 batteries in my trailer as well, so after a night's camping, I'm happier knowing the electrical system can handle topping everything up without any significant strain.

Sponsored

The_Paper_Cut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JL Sport 2-Door
@The_Paper_Cut Thank you for the insight! I had read about the defroster wiring and rear washer plumbing not being there if you don't order the factory hard top, but it completely slipped my mind. I guess this probably falls into the category of "better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it" and getting a soft top (be it an aftermarket option or a factory option) afterwards is less intrusive and expensive than having to add the wiring and plumbing for the hard top. Excellent point about that. Also wondering if maybe I can find OEM LED headlight take-offs from somebody upgrading to an aftermarket look. Your $2k over budget point is totally valid, but even with the hard top I'm already well over original budget!

@ToothMechanic Any reason other than personal preference? I spend an excessive amount of time staring at screens as-is thanks to work and other obligations, and don't mind the smaller screen at all. The upgraded sound system, however, is something I will definitely be inculding.
I think that’s a great way to go! And good luck with the LED! Finding factory takeoffs isn’t easy (I looked for a while lol), but they’re definitely out there. Though do some research on the differences in wiring, because I know the OEM LED wiring is different than the Halogens. I think you can still make them work If you have halogens, but I’d double check on forums before spending the $ on them

ToothMechanic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Billet JLUR

These days with modern cars everything is controlled via the screen. I get not wanting to stare at more screens than we already do but get used to it lol. You will be using that screen all the time. It will make it nicer/easier to interact with being larger.

The sound system alone is enough to get it IMO. I have done aftermarket sound systems with a subwoofer installs on a bunch of cars and I always hate having to chop everything up...having a very high quality system from factory is great.

Off road pages is a cool plus.

I doubt I will ever use the satnav or the satellite radio. Just hook up your carplay/android auto and use spotify or whatever you like.

I got every option besides the front facing camera because I thought it was way too expensive and ugly. It's gonna be an annoyance to try to retrofit any of this stuff...so I'd advise just ordering it as close to what you eventually want.

Cept don't get the all weather floor mats from the factory, I made that mistake...A lot of threads on it here.

dgoodhue

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 80th JLU
My 80th came with the 8.4 as standard, but if I had ordered another model. I would have gotten the 7" with Alpine Audio. I care more about the stereo as well. I have done quite a few aftermarket stereo in the past. I have the mindset of just getting best factory radio these days. I know I can build a better sound, but I am not 20 or 30 anymore, I know how much time I spent build them.

If you plan on getting both in the future get the dual tops (which comes with the premium top). It is cheaper that way unless get the base top and then you do all the wiring (free labor) and find a hard top for $2k to save a couple hundred.

I would recomend LED.

The Tow package is no brainer, if you think you're going to tow and use the switches.

Notorious

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ Sahara
Hi all! looking for some insight. What does everyone think regarding the following?
  • 8.4" Radio and Premium Audio Group vs Alpine Premium Audio ---
  • Standard soft top vs Premium Soft Top vs Hard Top ---
  • LED Lighting Kit ---
  • Trailer Tow and HD Electrical Group ---
  • Steel Bumper Group --- I
I'd really love to knock the total price down a bit but can't decide where and how
8.4 group was not necessary for me. I test drove one with it and didn’t care for it. Only get both tops if you have a place to store the other - otherwise get the hardtop. The LEDs are great from the factory - more time driving, less time wrenching. Get the steel bumper from the factory since this your first Wrangler. Tow package is worth it. And get the cold weather package.

Re the price, accept that it’s going to cost what it’s going to cost and do it. The wrangler game isn’t an inexpensive one but the experience is priceless.

OP
OP
Roody

Roody

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
8.4" Screen
You won't regret getting this, especially if you use CarPlay or the Android equivalent. It also makes the controls ever so slightly bigger, which makes them easier to use when driving, because there's simply more real estate for every button. The Alpine Premium Audio that comes with it is actually pretty darn good, and well worth it too.

LED Kit
Highly recommended. It not only works exceptionally well, it also looks fantastic. Every time I see a JL with non-LED lighting, it's pretty obvious that the aesthetics of the vehicle were designed around LED lighting. Probably something to do with the color temperature of the LEDs, or it could just be my old eyes.

Tow Package
If you're going to do any towing at all, then this is well worth it. It also gives you an upgraded alternator, which can never be a bad thing. For me, I knew I was going to drop in a Genesis dual battery setup, which alone already made the beefier alternator worth it, having that extra grunt to refill both batteries faster. The other reason it worked for me is that I have 2 batteries in my trailer as well, so after a night's camping, I'm happier knowing the electrical system can handle topping everything up without any significant strain.
I definitely wouldn't regret the 8.4" screen but when it comes down to cutting some costs out, the screen is on the chopping block. I've never owned a vehicle with Carplay but my wife uses it in her car every day. I'll probably stick to Bluetooth for the most part. And the 7" screen does have Carplay from my understanding. So probably skipping the 8.4" screen. The LED lighting kit is probably going to get my money, though. Can't see skipping it. Still undecided on the Tow pack, however.

I think that’s a great way to go! And good luck with the LED! Finding factory takeoffs isn’t easy (I looked for a while lol), but they’re definitely out there. Though do some research on the differences in wiring, because I know the OEM LED wiring is different than the Halogens. I think you can still make them work If you have halogens, but I’d double check on forums before spending the $ on them
Yeah it definitely seems like it's worth including the LED kit in my order. Might save a few hundred bucks going aftermarket but at the expense of the warranty (and possibly quality).

My 80th came with the 8.4 as standard, but if I had ordered another model. I would have gotten the 7" with Alpine Audio. I care more about the stereo as well. I have done quite a few aftermarket stereo in the past. I have the mindset of just getting best factory radio these days. I know I can build a better sound, but I am not 20 or 30 anymore, I know how much time I spent build them.

If you plan on getting both in the future get the dual tops (which comes with the premium top). It is cheaper that way unless get the base top and then you do all the wiring (free labor) and find a hard top for $2k to save a couple hundred.

I would recomend LED.

The Tow package is no brainer, if you think you're going to tow and use the switches.
I probably wouldn't be using the switches and tow pack additions immediately, but down the road they'd be very nice to have so as to not have to add later. I'm pondering the dual tops but wouldn't it be cheaper to go with the hard top and then get a soft top (OEM or aftermarket) secondhand? I feel like since I will likely spend the extra money for the hard top so as to have the wiring for the defroster and such, finding a soft top later on is the easier angle.

8.4 group was not necessary for me. I test drove one with it and didn’t care for it. Only get both tops if you have a place to store the other - otherwise get the hardtop. The LEDs are great from the factory - more time driving, less time wrenching. Get the steel bumper from the factory since this your first Wrangler. Tow package is worth it. And get the cold weather package.

Re the price, accept that it’s going to cost what it’s going to cost and do it. The wrangler game isn’t an inexpensive one but the experience is priceless.
Currently no place to store the tops but I could find somewhere to do so. That's one of my worries with having both tops, but I'll hopefully soon have somewhere of my own to keep the hard top when not in use. I see myself being totally "fine" with the hard top but really enjoying the ease of removal that the soft top provides.

I know buying a Jeep isn't a cheap proposition. Just trying to do damage control in regards to the final price...

Sponsored

SoCal

First Name
MARK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR, 981 Porsche Cayman S, BMW F32, Lexus is250
recently built mine and had similar dilemma's

glad I swapped out the LED package for the 8.4 w/alpine on my final build.
the Alpine sounds so much better and the 8.4 is great just the off road pages alone are worth it...

ended up with
2.0 T
cold weather pkg
tow pkg
8.4 w/Alpine
leather
painted fenders
hard top

$53385 msrp
paid $47255 after discount with Kent at Peterson Jeep :like:

did my own LED conversion within the first couple weeks for less then $450 total and I am far from a master mechanic.
Jeep Wrangler JL Difficulty deciding on options/packages for JLUR order tempImagejJynDh
Jeep Wrangler JL Difficulty deciding on options/packages for JLUR order tempImageSXYI1I
Jeep Wrangler JL Difficulty deciding on options/packages for JLUR order tempImageU1vTMT

wasn't complete until I did the fender lights tho for sure....
Jeep Wrangler JL Difficulty deciding on options/packages for JLUR order IMG_9451 2.JPG
Jeep Wrangler JL Difficulty deciding on options/packages for JLUR order tempImageiSO75G

Last edited:

RubiBlueJLU

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Diesel
Occupation
Structural Technician
I ordered my Rubicon Diesel auto, loaded up. Hard top. Bit the bullet and laid out the green!
LOVE IT ALL!
The “gadgets” are great. Adaptive cruise control will stop you behind someone and the take off with them when the take off. Adjusts to traffic speed for you.
LED lighting group rocks. Really bright and great visibility.
8.4 screen is good for older eyes and subwoofer really thumps.
Trailer package was a duh. Hitch, wired and the 4 accessory switches. I also plan to tow a small camper in the future (thus diesel).
Cold wether group for the wife.
Block heater for the diesel.
I went plastic bumper group. Bought aftermarket steel knockoff from Amazon for $450, and it came with the winch plate!
I did do the aftermarket RuggidRidge door sill protectors for $45. They cover more!

I was hesitant at first, due to the price. Debated some of the “goodies”, too. In the end I’m glad I got it all.

Just my opinion, but get what YOU want.

C7050B59-2C2C-4396-9094-B9182AAF6431.jpeg

Notorious

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ Sahara
Just trying to do damage control in regards to the final price...
The final price is important but here’s how the numbers break down:

Assuming a finance purchase for 60months, every $5000 financed is almost $85/month. Here’s how your prospective Rubi stacks up:

Jeep Wrangler JL Difficulty deciding on options/packages for JLUR order AF104EB7-3970-4BDF-BB12-69C71DC9493D

Jeep Wrangler JL Difficulty deciding on options/packages for JLUR order 5A0BBF8A-18EE-4A23-856A-A39A78B084DD

$9,335 in options may seem like much but over the course of five years, all of the above options will run you almost $156/month. That’s $5.20/day.

Or what some people spend on a daily visit to Starbucks. ;)

OP
OP
Roody

Roody

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
recently built mine and had similar dilemma's

glad I swapped out the LED package for the 8.4 w/alpine on my final build.
the Alpine sounds so much better and the 8.4 is great just the off road pages alone are worth it...

ended up with
2.0 T
cold weather pkg
tow pkg
8.4 w/Alpine
leather
painted fenders
hard top

$53385 msrp
paid $47255 after discount with Kent at Peterson Jeep :like:

did my own LED conversion within the first couple weeks for less then $450 total and I am far from a master mechanic.
Jeep Wrangler JL Difficulty deciding on options/packages for JLUR order 5A0BBF8A-18EE-4A23-856A-A39A78B084DD

wasn't complete until I did the fender lights tho for sure....
Those lights look great but I'm much more in the mindset right now of not needing the 8.4" screen whereas the LEDs would be seriously useful from the get-go. Are the off-road pages really that useful? I've been wheeling for 15 years without them... having a hard time convincing myself they're necessary.

I ordered my Rubicon Diesel auto, loaded up. Hard top. Bit the bullet and laid out the green!
LOVE IT ALL!
The “gadgets” are great. Adaptive cruise control will stop you behind someone and the take off with them when the take off. Adjusts to traffic speed for you.
LED lighting group rocks. Really bright and great visibility.
8.4 screen is good for older eyes and subwoofer really thumps.
Trailer package was a duh. Hitch, wired and the 4 accessory switches. I also plan to tow a small camper in the future (thus diesel).
Cold wether group for the wife.
Block heater for the diesel.
I went plastic bumper group. Bought aftermarket steel knockoff from Amazon for $450, and it came with the winch plate!
I did do the aftermarket RuggidRidge door sill protectors for $45. They cover more!

I was hesitant at first, due to the price. Debated some of the “goodies”, too. In the end I’m glad I got it all.

Just my opinion, but get what YOU want.

Super cliche, but what I want and what my bank account want are two different things.
Love the diesel, too, just wish they offered it with the stick!

The final price is important but here’s how the numbers break down:

Assuming a finance purchase for 60months, every $5000 financed is almost $85/month. Here’s how your prospective Rubi stacks up:

$9,335 in options may seem like much but over the course of five years, all of the above options will run you almost $156/month. That’s $5.20/day.

Or what some people spend on a daily visit to Starbucks. ;)
Right, I get the math. It's a lot easier to justify when broken down like that. The upfront number is just slightly terrifying!

MaineBumpkin

First Name
Henri
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JLU, 2021 RAM 1500
Build Thread
Link
Lots of opinions here but here are my regrets based on my recent order.
-I wish I got 8.4" screen and off-road camera
-I wish I got the tow package
-I wish I got the diesel

When we ordered our Jeep I had no intention of spending much time off-road or towing. In the 5 months since we decided to totally change we way we camp and plan to explore North America in our Wrangler while towing an off-road teardrop style camper.

I'm glad we got:
-Rubicon w/ leather
-Hardtop only (added Bestop)
-Floor liners
-Alpine Audio
-Cold weather
-Proximity locks
-6 speed

Your plans or intentions may change over time, add the things now that are most challenging (or impossible) to add later.
Sponsored