Sponsored

Difficult to engage 4 wheel drive shift lever on JLU

First Name
Rodney
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
on order 2019 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited, 2017 Honda Accord Sports SE, 2013 Challenger R/T
This is my 1st Jeep, a 2019 Wrangler JLU 6 speed, 5 months old. I have owned other 4 wheel drives with a manual lever for the 4 wheel drive. My Jeep is very hard to shift into 4 High with only 5,800 miles. Took it to the dealer last Thursday to be checked along with a couple other issues. Today wondering what was going on, stopped at dealership, spoke with shop foreman, he said he was still evaluating the problem of hard shifting, but felt like the transfer case would have to be replaced. This sounds a little extreme to me? Anyone else had this issue?
Thanks!
Sponsored

TrewJL

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon
Occupation
CEO
This is my 1st Jeep, a 2019 Wrangler JLU 6 speed, 5 months old. I have owned other 4 wheel drives with a manual lever for the 4 wheel drive. My Jeep is very hard to shift into 4 High with only 5,800 miles. Took it to the dealer last Thursday to be checked along with a couple other issues. Today wondering what was going on, stopped at dealership, spoke with shop foreman, he said he was still evaluating the problem of hard shifting, but felt like the transfer case would have to be replaced. This sounds a little extreme to me? Anyone else had this issue?
Thanks!
Mine was stiff at first and loosen with time. I actually smashed my knuckles trying to get back to 2H. Ended up switching out the shift knob to a B&M so it wouldn't happen again.

1.jpg

bryan

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mini, F250, Forester, 2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Mine was stiff at first and loosen with time.
This was my experience too. First trip out was rather disconcerting; now there are no problems. I didn't bother with a different shifter--just muscled it for the first three or four times. Not sure if the improvement is a function of the number of times I've gone in and out of 4H, or the total mileage (now about 22,250 mi), or both.

OP
OP
Back Creek Jeep
First Name
Rodney
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
on order 2019 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited, 2017 Honda Accord Sports SE, 2013 Challenger R/T
Thanks to Ryan & Bryan for your thoughts and suggestions. Today the shop foreman said he thought he was going to break the shift lever trying to take it out of 4 low. I have only engaged it a couple of times. I hope I can get it back soon - I miss it !!

Sponsored

OP
OP
Back Creek Jeep
First Name
Rodney
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mine was stiff at first and loosen with time. I actually smashed my knuckles trying to get back to 2H. Ended up switching out the shift knob to a B&M so it wouldn't happen again.

1.jpg
Thanks for your response on this.

OP
OP
Back Creek Jeep
First Name
Rodney
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This was my experience too. First trip out was rather disconcerting; now there are no problems. I didn't bother with a different shifter--just muscled it for the first three or four times. Not sure if the improvement is a function of the number of times I've gone in and out of 4H, or the total mileage (now about 22,250 mi), or both.
Thanks for your response on this.

OP
OP
Back Creek Jeep
First Name
Rodney
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your 416 is nice, how did you set it up ?
Thanks, I bought it as a almost completed project. I added the bows and tarp. Had it painted to match my Jeep and added the wheels. I put the axle back to original location.It has a CJ tailgate, I use it for hauling.

sacourtney07

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited Sport
Ya it's definitely hard. Sometimes I just have to smash it into 4L even rolling at 2-3 MPH in neutral.

Sponsored

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
Going in and out of 4-Low you have to be rolling so things can line up. If you aren't you can't force it. 4-High though shouldn't be too tight.

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

when shifting between 2H and 4H and 4L try rolling at 1-3 mph. this makes it so easy when shifting. i had the same problem the first 10 times tell i figured out that rolling made it so much easier. i dont think it will ever be buttery smooth like my stock 76 GMC transfer-case is but that's ok. Good LUCK!

eWiRED

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLJL74 Wrangler Unlimited Sport S
You are moving when trying to shift into out of 4wd correct? When new, i couldn't get the shifter to move when stopped. I was fearful of breaking something, it felt that hard.
Tried this from the owners manual and never looked backed. Engages smoothly but with some effort.

4H To 4L Or 4L To 4H

With the vehicle rolling at 2 to 3 mph (3 to
5 km/h), shift an automatic transmission into NEUTRAL (N), or press the clutch pedal on a manual transmission. While the vehicle is coasting at 2 to 3 mph (3 to 5 km/h), shift the transfer case lever firmly to the desired
position. Do not pause with the transfer case in N (Neutral). Once the shift is completed, place the automatic transmission into DRIVE or release the clutch pedal on a manual transmission.

NOTE:
Shifting into or out of 4L is possible with the vehicle completely stopped; however, difficulty may occur due to the mating teeth not being properly aligned. Several attempts may be required for clutch teeth alignment and shift completion to occur. The preferred method is with the vehicle rolling at 2 to 3 mph (3 to 5 km/h). Avoid attempting to engage or disengage 4L with the vehicle moving faster than 2 to3mph(3to5km/h).

cbrenthus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Mojito JLUR
They tend to loosen up with number of shifts, not miles. I've started testing all my 4WD components (4H, 4L, swaybar d/c / lockers) every time I go mountain biking and drive through the grass parking lot. I've already noticed a big difference in the shifting to 4H and 4L ;)

OnlyOne

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S Diesel on 37s
Mine is still pretty tough to get into 4H. I think its easier to go into 4L. LOL
Sponsored