Difficult to engage 4 wheel drive shift lever on JLU

jeepdabest

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sahara
Shifting into or out of 4L is possible with the vehicle completely stopped; however, difficulty may occur due to the mating teeth not being properly aligned.
Yikes. Could I tell you stories about mating teeth.
Sponsored

KnG818

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon
You are moving when trying to shift into out of 4wd correct? When new, i couldn't get the shifter to move when stopped. I was fearful of breaking something, it felt that hard.
Tried this from the owners manual and never looked backed. Engages smoothly but with some effort.

4H To 4L Or 4L To 4H

With the vehicle rolling at 2 to 3 mph (3 to
5 km/h), shift an automatic transmission into NEUTRAL (N), or press the clutch pedal on a manual transmission. While the vehicle is coasting at 2 to 3 mph (3 to 5 km/h), shift the transfer case lever firmly to the desired
position. Do not pause with the transfer case in N (Neutral). Once the shift is completed, place the automatic transmission into DRIVE or release the clutch pedal on a manual transmission.

NOTE:
Shifting into or out of 4L is possible with the vehicle completely stopped; however, difficulty may occur due to the mating teeth not being properly aligned. Several attempts may be required for clutch teeth alignment and shift completion to occur. The preferred method is with the vehicle rolling at 2 to 3 mph (3 to 5 km/h). Avoid attempting to engage or disengage 4L with the vehicle moving faster than 2 to3mph(3to5km/h).
Just to add if I may...

Throwing it into 4H while driving at speeds between 2mph-55mph is perfectly fine. Just let off gas. Totally ok to do. Just make sure you shift it into 4H completely(quick, firm shift).

jeepdabest

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sahara
Just to add if I may...

Throwing it into 4H while driving at speeds between 2mph-55mph is perfectly fine. Just let off gas. Totally ok to do. Just make sure you shift it into 4H completely(quick, firm shift).
Do you need to engage clutch on a manual?

KnG818

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon
Do you need to engage clutch on a manual?
I always did when I had a manual, just because. Same as letting off the gas.

Dont really know if its neccessary though...good question.

Sponsored

Benagi

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited Sport
Just to add if I may...

Can this be done on any model JL?

LittleDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara JLU
I highly suggest wearing a good pair of gloves when shifting the first few times, everyone knows that gloves give you more power and confidence, whether we're talking about punching gear boxes in the face, moving flaming logs, or picking up boiling lobsters.

Remember that it is nothing like shifting gears or going from P to N to D in an auto.

When shifting from 2H to 4H the first few times, pretend that you are shifting it towards any location backwards instead of exactly down to the 4H detent. That is, pretend that you are trying to get it out of 2H to you don't care where; a good, sharp yank backwards, like you're pulling your JL's loose tooth is the way to go. 1-2-3-GO! You aren't picking up a chess piece and putting in the 4WD square after careful consideration, you're pulling the Emergency Ejector Seat Lever after Ugly Road Conditions have suddenly landed in your passenger seat.

When going from 4H to 2H, palm the shifter and try to shove it through the console like it owes you money. Don't worry, you're wearing gloves. Just 1-2-Go!, so you catch it off guard. You aren't trying to kill it though, you're just giving it a friendly reminder.

From 4H to 4L or the other way around, if you aren't moving already, give a blip of throttle from a standstill and drop into transmission neutral a second later, then quickly pull a tooth or demand payment as needed. Maybe Imagine that you are some sort of cool person that often needs to actuate two big, mechanical levers in quick succession very often. Are you piloting a giant robot or a space ship? I dunno, whatever floats your boat. Maybe an actual boat? The 'N' in the transfer case stands for, 'Nope, nothing here, keep on moving'.

Practice 2H-4H-4L and back up again whenever you remember as you park for the night and you'll be broken-in in a month. Good luck.

Last edited:

empty pockets

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
I have the Gladiator JT. Same setup, though. First time was a killer. But it loosened up. I have a dirt alley close to home. I would go down the alley a couple of times a week and shift in and out of 4 high and it really helped. Smooth and easy now. 4 low, like another post said, is never easy but this process helped tremendously with 4 low as well.

Sponsored

Mwags

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 wrangler unlimited JLU Sport S
It will loosen from 2H to 4H to 2H, over time. . Going to 4L and back is never easy.
Yes..I found it hard shift to 4H as well,its easier now as I've used it a number of time....4H twice was difficult .....With either it still takes a little muscle.

Sand Flea

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Unlimited, Sahara
Occupation
Federal Firefighter, Retired
4H To 4L Or 4L To 4H

With the vehicle rolling at 2 to 3 mph (3 to
5 km/h), shift an automatic transmission into NEUTRAL (N), or press the clutch pedal on a manual transmission. While the vehicle is coasting at 2 to 3 mph (3 to 5 km/h), shift the transfer case lever firmly to the desired
position. Do not pause with the transfer case in N (Neutral). Once the shift is completed, place the automatic transmission into DRIVE or release the clutch pedal on a manual transmission.

NOTE:
Shifting into or out of 4L is possible with the vehicle completely stopped; however, difficulty may occur due to the mating teeth not being properly aligned. Several attempts may be required for clutch teeth alignment and shift completion to occur. The preferred method is with the vehicle rolling at 2 to 3 mph (3 to 5 km/h). Avoid attempting to engage or disengage 4L with the vehicle moving faster than 2 to3mph(3to5km/h).

With my 2013 Wrangler, I always ran 4H on the beach. With my 2018 Wrangler, I've started using 4L because it seems to cause less stress on the drivetrain and lets the motor spin a bit more.

Having said that, 4L was difficult at first, but like eWired, I found that rolling, shifting to Neutral, then engaging 4L was the ticket.
Coming back to 2H is similar. Roll along, Neutral, shift. Once you release the tension from the case, everything moves easier.

And it does get easier the more you do it.

IMG_7960.jpeg

empty pockets

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
A couple more notes, 1- mine is a 6 speed also. 2- it always helps shifting if you are rolling a little. If you have a hard time shifting out of 4high or 4low you likely have some binding going on. Try shifting while backing up rather than moving forward. Back in a slight “S” pattern while pushing the shifter if possible. It will relax the binding and should smooth things out.

UtahDirt

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Punk'n Rubicon 4xe
Vehicle Showcase
This is my 1st Jeep, a 2019 Wrangler JLU 6 speed, 5 months old. I have owned other 4 wheel drives with a manual lever for the 4 wheel drive. My Jeep is very hard to shift into 4 High with only 5,800 miles. Took it to the dealer last Thursday to be checked along with a couple other issues. Today wondering what was going on, stopped at dealership, spoke with shop foreman, he said he was still evaluating the problem of hard shifting, but felt like the transfer case would have to be replaced. This sounds a little extreme to me? Anyone else had this issue?
Thanks!
Shifting in and out of 4low on mine brings back memories of my 76 Ford F-250 Highboy. Same tech, 2 to 4hi has loosened up with use.