Sponsored

Difficult Prescott, AZ Area Trails?

Sean K.

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR, TJ, 4Runner, Cummins tow rig, 2 Tube Frame Buggies, Lotus SC Elise, Mazda 3, RAV4 Hybrid
Sponsored

Last edited:

LincolnSixAlpha

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Sean,

I heard that Table rock of of I-17 can be fairly tough, and those trails go on for miles perhaps up towards Jerome, though I'm not familiar with them, nor have had the change to explore that area. Also, I understand that the "back way" to Crown King is also tough in some spots. Again, I got lost in those hills, but it's a fairly easy trail to follow now. It's marked. I'm sure there are tons more, that's just the little I know up your way ish...

GRAK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubi, Corvette
Clubs

Man. Your trails are like a warning for me to avoid. Don’t even have a lift yet

LincolnSixAlpha

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Man. Your trails are like a warning for me to avoid. Don’t even have a lift yet
I think you mean Table Mesa, but those trails don't go up to Jerome. Bumblebee is pretty much buggy only trails (there are a few easy Jeep trails, but little in between). Crown King is very well known, but it's a very easy trail. On the old scale, I doubt it registered a 2 or 2.5.
You may be right, I'm only new to Arizona, and the West Coast since December last year, so I've not hit some of these. I had heard that Crown King was rough, but I believe there are turnouts now for vehicles that are not so capable, perhaps at one point in time, it was way worst. I'd like to hit Broken Arrow since it's somewhat close, and not too tough from my understanding. Otherwise, Moab is only 4 hours away or so. Sorry, I don't have any others.

Sponsored

LincolnSixAlpha

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Moab is about 8 hours from the Phoenix area. Not sure where you are (sounds like somewhere up on the rim or near it), but it's worth the drive for sure. Sand Hollow in Utah is actually even better than Moab and about 7 hours from Phx.

Broken Arrow is easy....We ran it with our TJ in 2wd...the tcase kept popping out of gear so we had to. It's definitely a must do for the Sedona area though. It's the "hardest" trail in the area and really only has a few optional lines that are remotely difficult. We've done it in our bone stock (at the time) 4Runner twice loaded with 5 adults and once in the buggy. You shouldn't have any trouble.
HAHA.. Apparently, I'm also coming up short on my distances too! I'm in Scottsdale, so guess I better review some google maps should I decide to go sometime soon! Thanks for the update on the Broken Arrow run. I've heard it was easy, with that steps part towards the end being the only difficult area. But really I've been on 4 Peaks, Cave Creek/Blood Basin, Castle Hot Springs, and FR151 around Humphry's peak in Flag.

LincolnSixAlpha

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
No offense intended...but those are really like 1.5 rated trails. And that is ABSOLUTELY FINE if you're good with those. If you want more challenge, you are going to love what AZ has to offer.

Some pics of optional side lines....on Broken Arrow.

http://www.virtualjeepclub.com/show...hese-lines-legal/page3&highlight=broken+arrow
None taken, all easy trails! Just all I know at the moment. If you have any you'd like to share I'm game. Thanks for the pics. Will check out that thread.

LincolnSixAlpha

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
That info gives me the ability to do some research to figure out what's what. I'd be particularly interested in the Florence area, or maybe along beeline, as you mentioned. Just nice to not have to deal with traffic along the I-17 on weekends. Thank you sir!

mer43

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'98 ZJ 5.9, '18 JLU
Vehicle Showcase
The ovens are closed. I wish I'd seen them before the current owner shut it down.

I did Sunflower Mine trail a few weeks ago. It's a solid 3-3.5 mostly due to the running water. Most have a bypass. To me, it's biggest issue is the pin-striping. As you well know, the JL is a fat-boy, and tends to really collect the stripes. :)

Pleasant to Crown King has picked up a notch, mainly due to the section in the middle where they have some type of active mining and you have to drive up the creek bed. If it's running, your pucker factor will sky rocket! Most obstacles have bypass, but the sluice has some pretty deep ruts right now, if you want to go test out your articulation. This trail seems to change frequently. One week I hear you can do it with a lowered truck. The next week buggies are finding ways to fly.

I'd like to find someone familiar with the log corral to Bartlett lake run.

Sponsored

mer43

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'98 ZJ 5.9, '18 JLU
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the update. The log corral to Bartlett is one I'd like to do sometime....never been on it.
Yup, hope to do this one this winter.

mer43

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'98 ZJ 5.9, '18 JLU
Vehicle Showcase
Looking like snow around Flagstaff starting Friday....
Sponsored