Sponsored

Differential Cover and gasket question....?

rizzosmith

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Rubicon JL
I understand that the axles on the JL Rubicon are different than the Dana 44 on the JK Rubicon. Assuming that is true, does anyone know if a differential cover (and corresponding Lube Locker gasket) for a JK Dana 44 will fit on either the front or rear axles on the new JL Rubicon?
Sponsored

Ironman97459

First Name
jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 rubicon, 2017 f350, 2016 Z06, 2016 escalade 1989 M923a2
Occupation
Driver
The new jl has more bolt holes. So won’t work with jk covers.

Bill Tower

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon unlimited 4 door, Firecracker Red
Anyone know wear to get the new gasket. I call my dealer and he can’t find them. I will be upgrading my covers and would like new gaskets.

homerun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 XJ, 2004 Ford Ranger, 2013 Subaru Impreza, 1996 HD Springer Softtail, past jeep 1995 YJ
Anyone know wear to get the new gasket. I call my dealer and he can’t find them. I will be upgrading my covers and would like new gaskets.
Why not just use RTV Gasket Maker - (orange for high temp)?

Sponsored

NextDan

Peak Sponsor (Level 2)
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.nextventuremotorsports.com
Vehicle(s)
1949 Willys VJ, 1973 Jeep Commando, 18 JL , 21 JT
Occupation
CAD Designer, Adventure Machine Outfitter
The gears won't likely rub without the factory gasket, but the clearance between the cover and the gear set would be reduced. Our factory ring gears did not make contact with our covers with the gasket removed, but that's our experience with our JL. There will be lots of aftermarket ring and pinions out there soon, and without knowing what the tolerance stack up looks like from variations in housings and ring gears, we felt it to best to be on the safe side and recommend using the factory gasket.

We also didn't want to add a ton of extra dimension to the covers; the front trackbar does get quite close under full compression (they put the bend in it for a reason) and nobody wants a big diff cover that makes contact with their suspension/steering - factory or otherwise.

Bill Tower

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon unlimited 4 door, Firecracker Red
The gears won't likely rub without the factory gasket, but the clearance between the cover and the gear set would be reduced. Our factory ring gears did not make contact with our covers with the gasket removed, but that's our experience with our JL. There will be lots of aftermarket ring and pinions out there soon, and without knowing what the tolerance stack up looks like from variations in housings and ring gears, we felt it to best to be on the safe side and recommend using the factory gasket.

We also didn't want to add a ton of extra dimension to the covers; the front trackbar does get quite close under full compression (they put the bend in it for a reason) and nobody wants a big diff cover that makes contact with their suspension/steering - factory or otherwise.
Thanks for the update. Talked to a dealer about new gaskets, all the inventory is scheduled for new built, he’s trying to get the ok to release them for me. I know they say reusable if they don’t brake them getting them off.

Mud2Sno

First Name
Mickey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Rubicon
I am going to try to reuse mine when I install my new DANA44 covers this weekend and will have the gasket silicone if needed

Sponsored

NextDan

Peak Sponsor (Level 2)
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.nextventuremotorsports.com
Vehicle(s)
1949 Willys VJ, 1973 Jeep Commando, 18 JL , 21 JT
Occupation
CAD Designer, Adventure Machine Outfitter
We had luck with gently removing both of ours and reusing them. They are only 5-6 months old right now though; I'm not sure if they may harden over time and become less easily re-used though.

FitBliss

First Name
Gabriel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Limited Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
I just got my covers and plan on installing them, anyone with some input on reusing the OEM gaskets, my dana covers came with the RTV in case the stock ones are not as reusable.
Sponsored