Sponsored

Different fluid change 27k

Uhdinator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport HT 2.0T Auto, 2003 TJ Rubicon HT
Vehicle Showcase
The first TJ Rubicon's had LSD and no traction control. Guessing since the addition of TC the JL Rubicon's don't have LSD. On a side note having owned a TJ-R and now a JL Sport.........the BLD works well and the LSD option doesn't add much on a JL except an axle upgrade that also adds more maintenance.
Sponsored

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLUR; 2016 Ram Powerwagon
Vehicle Showcase
According to the OM, axles with Trac-Lok limited slip need it so they have to have clutch packs of some sort and many of the people who have had a failed D44 LSD mentioned clutch material in the oil so something is afoot.

J6Rvob.jpg
I just did some research and yes, the sahara's LSD 'trak-lok' is a clutch type.. ugh...I wouldn't want that in my Jeep. The Ram 2500 uses a helical type (eaton style) and I just assumed Jeep used the same. You have to add a 4oz bottle of this https://www.amazon.com/Genuine-Mopar-4318060AC-Limited-Additive/dp/B000TTEX8W

The Rubicon is an open diff until locked, however with the Tazer I can lock my rear in 2wd so.. LSD not required.

The rear diff lube will appear worse for wear because it's always under load, unlike the front. The CAD also helps. My RAM's front fluid always looks fresh (also CAD disconnect) at the 15k intervals I swap it.

I used to add Amsoil slip lock in my 2007 Mustang GT with the 'trak lok' style clutch lsd.
AMSOIL SEVERE GEAR is compatible with most limited-slip differentials. For applications that require additional limited-slip friction modifier, add AMSOIL Slip Lock®.

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
I just did some research and yes, the sahara's LSD 'trak-lok' is a clutch type.. ugh...I wouldn't want that in my Jeep. The Ram 2500 uses a helical type (eaton style) and I just assumed Jeep used the same. You have to add a 4oz bottle of this https://www.amazon.com/Genuine-Mopar-4318060AC-Limited-Additive/dp/B000TTEX8W

The Rubicon is an open diff until locked, however with the Tazer I can lock my rear in 2wd so.. LSD not required.

The rear diff lube will appear worse for wear because it's always under load, unlike the front. The CAD also helps. My RAM's front fluid always looks fresh (also CAD disconnect) at the 15k intervals I swap it.

I used to add Amsoil slip lock in my 2007 Mustang GT with the 'trak lok' style clutch lsd.
AMSOIL SEVERE GEAR is compatible with most limited-slip differentials. For applications that require additional limited-slip friction modifier, add AMSOIL Slip Lock®.
Agreed on the rear wear versus front, however, to put it into context, the UOA of my 2019 JLUR at 5K miles had nearly the same amount of iron (604PPM) that my 2010 F-150 had cumulatively at 160K miles (697PPM) and was the worst UOA I have ever seen with such low miles.

When combined with the lower oil capacity of these axles, it does not speak good things about the overall design. I feel for the guys who have Jeeps with LSD.

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
YES, I saw your differential UOA.. it's awesome you did that.. no one sends off for UOA on diffs.

I love that you did that.. very interesting.

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
YES, I saw your differential UOA.. it's awesome you did that.. no one sends off for UOA on diffs.

I love that you did that.. very interesting.
In another 3K miles, I should be at 15K and will sample again (the Amsoil 75W-140 will have 10K miles on it at that point) and see what it shows. The iron shedding should dramatically reduce (if this Dana axle behaves like other OEMs) by 20K at the latest and less iron per mile will be produced despite longer and longer runs. One thing is certain, I would not use anything other than 75W-140 in them for the protection it affords.

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
In another 3K miles, I should be at 15K and will sample again (the Amsoil 75W-140 will have 10K miles on it at that point) and see what it shows. The iron shedding should dramatically reduce (if this Dana axle behaves like other OEMs) by 20K at the latest and less iron per mile will be produced despite longer and longer runs. One thing is certain, I would not use anything other than 75W-140 in them for the protection it affords.
I agree.. I swapped to redline shockproof in the rear (film strength of a 250w). I'd love to see your future UOA's.. thanks for doing it!
Sponsored