Different fluid change 27k

Brooklynjlu2018

First Name
Junior
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 wrangler sahara
Changed my diff fluids today and the back was ridiculously nasty compared to the front the front came out a honey yellow while the rear was real dark almost black and smelled real bad plus i feel it was a bit low i was able to stick my pinky in the hole and with some wiggle get the fluid on my finger but I suggest that it be changed
Jeep Wrangler JL Different fluid change 27k E3901870-3C84-4083-BCDC-37791927FBA7
Jeep Wrangler JL Different fluid change 27k 6DED21A7-4C9E-4A99-A530-F6B06245840A
Jeep Wrangler JL Different fluid change 27k E3901870-3C84-4083-BCDC-37791927FBA7
Sponsored

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
Mine at 5K (https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/first-axle-oc-uoa-results.42567/) was just awful for that low of miles. I used 75W-140 when I changed it and you can see the UOA results at 5K and then again at 10K. I will test again at 15K and decide whether or not to dump it again, but also to determine the oil change interval. I really do not like the low capacity of these axles.

1quick1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Vehicle Showcase
Similar experience when I did mine a month or so ago at 25k. Front looked yellow'ish/honey colored and the rear was black. Sounds pretty normal. I wouldn't worry about the smell because the new stuff smells just as bad. I had a pretty thick soupy mixture captured by the magnetic drain plug I cleaned up as well but I didn't see any chunks/flakes.

Used Valvoline 75w-90 full synth in the front and Valvoline 75w-140 with friction modifier (FM) in the rear. I have anti-slip (LSD) D44 in the rear. Added a 1/2 bottle of Mopar FM in the rear as well as I couldn't quite find out if the included FM was enough so added a 1/2 bottle of the Mopar stuff just to be safe. So far so good.

OP
OP
Brooklynjlu2018

Brooklynjlu2018

First Name
Junior
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 wrangler sahara
Similar experience when I did mine a month or so ago at 25k. Front looked yellow'ish/honey colored and the rear was black. Sounds pretty normal. I wouldn't worry about the smell because the new stuff smells just as bad. I had a pretty thick soupy mixture captured by the magnetic drain plug I cleaned up as well but I didn't see any chunks/flakes.

Used Valvoline 75w-90 full synth in the front and Valvoline 75w-140 with friction modifier (FM) in the rear. I have anti-slip (LSD) D44 in the rear. Added a 1/2 bottle of Mopar FM in the rear as well as I couldn't quite find out if the included FM was enough so added a 1/2 bottle of the Mopar stuff just to be safe. So far so good.
Mine had sludge on plug as well no chunks was just surprised by the difference

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLUR; 2016 Ram Powerwagon
Vehicle Showcase
Swapped mine at 5k miles front and rear with Amsoil 110 front and 140 rear. Then changed the fluid again at 10k when I swapped the ARB covers on with Redline heavy shockproof front/rear.

Glad I did because those UOA's looked bad.

Oh.. also the FAD (front axle disconnect) keeps the front fluid looking better than the rear... by far.

Last edited:

Sponsored

JtwJL

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLUS

About to do mine with the same when I get a chance next week, I didn't go with the Mopar FM though, I just went with valvolines LSD additive, but, I also don't know how much to use.

Might just do a half also, does it hurt to use too much?

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
About to do mine with the same when I get a chance next week, I didn't go with the Mopar FM though, I just went with valvolines LSD additive, but, I also don't know how much to use.

Might just do a half also, does it hurt to use too much?
Yes; it can cause the clutch discs to slip too much making your LSD axle feel like an open rear end. Use it sparingly and add a little at a time until the chatter stops.

With that said, I would try it without adding any extra friction modifier (fairly certain that Valvoline has the FM already added into the oil) and see what the axle does. Get into an empty parking lot and turn in circles, both clockwise and counterclockwise to see if you hear any chattering in the axle. if there is no chattering you're good to go, otherwise add in small amounts until the chattering stops.

JtwJL

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLUS
Yes; it can cause the clutch discs to slip too much making your LSD axle feel like an open rear end. Use it sparingly and add a little at a time until the chatter stops.

With that said, I would try it without adding any extra friction modifier (fairly certain that Valvoline has the FM already added into the oil) and see what the axle does. Get into an empty parking lot and turn in circles, both clockwise and counterclockwise to see if you hear any chattering in the axle. if there is no chattering you're good to go, otherwise add in small amounts until the chattering stops.
Crap, I meant Asmoil lol.

Asmoil does have an additive already, just not sure if its sufficent or not.

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLUR; 2016 Ram Powerwagon
Vehicle Showcase
Rubicon axles are open until locked. No clutch packs. Furthermore even the Sahara/sport have helical style lsd. No additives are necessary.

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Crap, I meant Amsoil lol.

Amsoil does have an additive already, just not sure if its sufficient or not.
Amsoil has a good amount of FM in it. I would definitely drive it without adding any FM to see if you experience any chattering.

Sponsored

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Rubicon axles are open until locked. No clutch packs. Furthermore even the Sahara/sport have helical style lsd. No additives are necessary.
According to the OM, axles with Trac-Lok limited slip need it so they have to have clutch packs of some sort and many of the people who have had a failed D44 LSD mentioned clutch material in the oil so something is afoot.

J6Rvob.jpg

EngenZerO

First Name
Ozzie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Moab
Crap, I meant Asmoil lol.

Asmoil does have an additive already, just not sure if its sufficent or not.
I think Amsoil recommends 2.37 Oz of Mopar Friction Modifier. That’s what I am gonna do this weekend when I swap out my fluids.

OP
OP
Brooklynjlu2018

Brooklynjlu2018

First Name
Junior
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 wrangler sahara
For sahara i called dealer they recommended the 75/85 in both front and rear i went with the amsoil severe gear 75/90 and was told no friction modifier necessary

EngenZerO

First Name
Ozzie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Moab
Jeep Wrangler JL Different fluid change 27k E74AC268-5DE0-4621-9E6C-7C4643BFC8F3
That’s where I pulled that number. Granted I’m putting 75-140 due to the Tow Package.
Sponsored