Sponsored

Difference between the V8 vs V6 radiator ? Is it interchangeable?

OP
OP

Petey

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jl sport manual
To the OP, there was an article I read somewhere, maybe here, on the Gladiator and how it got its tow rating to 7000lbs. They discussed the changes to the front grill, fans, etc, and possibly the radiator. I don't specifically recall if the radiator was different. I do recall the fans and grill were different.

Found it.
https://jalopnik.com/the-engineering-behind-the-jeep-gladiators-tow-rating-1833657453
thanks .. part of the article reads ........
"I don’t quite remember what was stopping us from adding thickness to the radiator, but presumably interference with the grille and with underhood components was the limiting factor, and because the JL program’s hood length had actually already been significantly extended during development, further extensions weren’t really considered feasible"
So I would deduce that there was cooling issue , but , on v6 at least , there is a relatively large gap between the condenser and the radiator..I measured, it came in @ about 1.5 inches ... There is space for more rows. I get why the space is there but most automakers dont have that in the first place ... they could use it even if it is to the slight detriment of ac performance
Sponsored

OP
OP

Petey

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jl sport manual
Well they have the diesel and might eventually put a 392 in the JT. If they do, it makes me wonder about the real reasoning for not offering the 2.0 given the cylinder pressure (and BTU’s) created by the other two at typical tow rpms.
That 2.0 t would turn into a Chernobyl on four wheels without a more dedicated cooling system imho

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
That 2.0 t would turn into a Chernobyl on four wheels without a more dedicated cooling system imho
BTU’s is BTU’s be it from a turbo diesel, large displacement gas engine, or small gas turbo engine. The diesel is in boost at that rpm so again, as a formerly practicing high end engine builder, I don’t currently see the reason why they don’t offer the turbo 2.0 in the Gladiator. For the same BTU creation from cylinder pressure, the heat exchange capacity will be similar. Actually, the packaging of the 2.0 would be more constructive to cooling packaging options.

OP
OP

Petey

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jl sport manual
BTU’s is BTU’s be it from a turbo diesel, large displacement gas engine, or small gas turbo engine. The diesel is in boost at that rpm so again, as a formerly practicing high end engine builder, I don’t currently see the reason why they don’t offer the turbo 2.0 in the Gladiator. For the same BTU creation from cylinder pressure, the heat exchange capacity will be similar. Actually, the packaging of the 2.0 would be more constructive to cooling packaging options.
Honda ..among others has been doing this for many years now... they might put in the same engine in many models but the difference being that heavier models get lower C.R. (lower boost too) engines . It makes sense to me because of the additional weight . I never got a look @ the 2.0 system in detail since I dont own one. Turbo engines need more cooling on the average but theres a lot of variables at play here . Does the 3.0 have a different radiator from 2.0 ? I mean in size at least?

Last edited:

Sponsored

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
Honda ..among others has been doing this for many years now... they might put in the same engine in many models but the difference being that heavier models get lower C.R. engines . It makes sense to me because of the additional weight . I never got a look @ the 2.0 system in detail since I dont own one. Turbo engines need more cooling on the average but theres a lot of variables at play here . Does the 3.0 have a different radiator from 2.0 ? I mean in size at least?
There are variables…but putting in a power plant in the Gladiator(that they said it was a heat management issue with the 2.0) that makes 470 lb ft at really low rpm vs about 300 at over 4K is significant enough that I’d first look at the cooling system. The bay is less stuffed with a 2.0. With more mechanical advantage of lower gears, one can upshift bring rpms down to where those BTU’s are less of a factor. So I still don’t see, unless it’s a mechanical characteristic issue, why no 2.0 in the Gladiator.

OP
OP

Petey

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jl sport manual
The V8 radiator costs about $20,000. The V6 radiator, only a few hundred.
im willing to a bucks more but wouldnt want the v8

OP
OP

Petey

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jl sport manual
There are variables…but putting in a power plant in the Gladiator(that they said it was a heat management issue with the 2.0) that makes 470 lb ft at really low rpm vs about 300 at over 4K is significant enough that I’d first look at the cooling system. The bay is less stuffed with a 2.0. With more mechanical advantage of lower gears, one can upshift bring rpms down to where those BTU’s are less of a factor. So I still don’t see, unless it’s a mechanical characteristic issue, why no 2.0 in the Gladiator.
to be clear .. im not arguing to why they should or wouldn't put a 2.0 in the truck . In fact it should be possible with the right gearing ..my point is about the possible limitations that they might be running into doing so. Just a few years back I remember seing some where ( I think it was on a video) a Ferrari representative or something like that... asked a question why they stopped making turbo cars.. His answer ran along the lines of our discussion here ..He mentioned something like they thing is that turbos are out for them because as cylinder pressures goes up theres almost an exponential need for additional fuel to be delivered which in his opinion was self defeating

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
to be clear .. im not arguing to why they should or wouldn't put a 2.0 in the truck . In fact it should be possible with the right gearing ..my point is about the possible limitations that they might be running into doing so. Just a few years back I remember seing some where ( I think it was on a video) a Ferrari representative or something like that... asked a question why they stopped making turbo cars.. His answer ran along the lines of our discussion here ..He mentioned something like they thing is that turbos are out for them because as cylinder pressures goes up theres almost an exponential need for additional fuel to be delivered which in his opinion was self defeating
It’s not exponential (relative to a naturally aspirated engine) and though any forced induction might technically need more fuel for optimized combustion characteristics, it’s more than made up for by what is, essentially, variable displacement and the economy benefits of that. As you add more cylinders, there’s more parasitic drag and frictional losses from the additional moving parts and crankcase windage.

Again, I see no technically obvious reason, aside from mechanical component limitations, that would keep the 2.0 out of the Gladiator. I’m curious if the latter is the real case because it’s not BTU management it seems unless it’s very localized and could cause a failure of a component.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
The JT 850w fan and grill are easy.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Petey

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jl sport manual
It’s not exponential (relative to a naturally aspirated engine) and though any forced induction might technically need more fuel for optimized combustion characteristics, it’s more than made up for by what is, essentially, variable displacement and the economy benefits of that. As you add more cylinders, there’s more parasitic drag and frictional losses from the additional moving parts and crankcase windage.

Again, I see no technically obvious reason, aside from mechanical component limitations, that would keep the 2.0 out of the Gladiator. I’m curious if the latter is the real case because it’s not BTU management it seems unless it’s very localized and could cause a failure of a component.
Well frankly, the Btu management is a bit of an issue on mine( V6...) though, i would think the turbo would need more help even though it comes with an additional cooler for a turbo . The testing they do with these vehicles seems to almost always be in northern latitudes . And during our southern winters which are more akin to the northern summers there isn't much of a problem , but once summer temps show up, its obvious the radiator is not up to the job.

OP
OP

Petey

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jl sport manual
The JT 850w fan and grill are easy.
the original fan is plenty good .. the problem really is how soon it kicks on because if the radiator isn't blown it wont release the heat. But I wonder in that case, if the JT has different temp setting for the fan to kick on.

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
Well frankly, the Btu management is a bit of an issue on mine( V6...) though, i would think the turbo would need more help even though it comes with an additional cooler for a turbo . The testing they do with these vehicles seems to almost always be in northern latitudes . And during our southern winters which are more akin to the northern summers there isn't much of a problem , but once summer temps show up, its obvious the radiator is not up to the job.
It wouldn’t surprise me. I can only imagine a diesel or 392 in the same conditions unless…they actually had room for substantially better cooling and did just that. Maybe they cheaped out on the radiator and fan with “just enough” for the 3.6. Probably the 2.0 too.

OP
OP

Petey

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jl sport manual
It wouldn’t surprise me. I can only imagine a diesel or 392 in the same conditions unless…they actually had room for substantially better cooling and did just that. Maybe they cheaped out on the radiator and fan with “just enough” for the 3.6. Probably the 2.0 too.
In my opinion that fan could cause a cat 5 hurricane. Good fan .. I have to run the ac for to go work though ...and waiting for it go on is a crapshot the temps will fluctuate anywhere between 186 to 222 before it finally comes on. A higher capacity radiator would really help.
Sponsored