Sponsored

Difference between Goodyear Duratrac & Ultra Terrain??

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Two tires are both in the "best" category @Discount Tire , in the 35x12.5x17 size that I'm wanting the Ultra Terrain is about $50 less. The Ultra Terrain are exclusively available at Discount Tire so maybe that's why they are less, they also don't list a specific mile warranty whereas the Duratrac has a 50k warranty. I actually like the sidewall blocks on the Ultra Terrain a bit better and the inner tread block design look like it may provide a quieter ride.
The siping on the Ultra Terrain look to be straight which would be cheaper to manufacture vs. the wavy siping on the Duratracs.
Here's a good read on various tread design tire info including siping.
http://www.tireprofiles.com/tread-pattern-anatomy/
The two tires in 35x12.5x17
https://www.discounttire.com/buy-tires/goodyear-wrangler-ultraterrain-at/p/44184
https://www.discounttire.com/buy-tires/goodyear-wrangler-duratrac/p/38686

If the Ultra Terrain has the same tread warranty and performance then it is going to the top of my list.

@CarbonSteel has some Kanati Trail Hogs which are 3 peak snow rated and look to have a similar tread, and about $100 less than the Ultra Terrain so looking at them too depending on my budget 12k miles from now :)
https://www.greenballtires.com/brands/kanati/trail-hog-at

Anyone running these Ultra Terrains around here???
Sponsored

Last edited:

Hayseed_JLUR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2015 JKU
Interesting looking. I have had several sets of Duratracs on the JK and love them. Good combo of AT and MT. I have MT's on the JL.

These ultraterrains looks like the KO2's. My concern is that the KO2's sucked in the mud and I would not want that again. The duratracs did good in the mud - but not as good as an actual MT tire.

Will be watching this thread.

OP
OP
blnewt

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Interesting looking. I have had several sets of Duratracs on the JK and love them. Good combo of AT and MT. I have MT's on the JL.

These ultraterrains looks like the KO2's. My concern is that the KO2's sucked in the mud and I would not want that again. The duratracs did good in the mud - but not as good as an actual MT tire.

Will be watching this thread.
My next set to replace my current Patagonias I'm wanting 3 peak snow rated & much better in the wet & below freezing temps. Decent traction on rocky trails (not extreme wheeling) and general recreational trail running are about all I need. Nice to have an AT more on the aggressive side without going to a MT based tread that negates cold & wet weather traction. And a 40k tread life would be a nice bonus :)

Craigzjeep

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting Gray
Occupation
Telco Installer, retired. Current job drinking beer and yard work expert.
I installed the UltraTerrains last year and like them, no complaints, I also had KO2s and liked those as well.

20201224_225129.jpg

OP
OP
blnewt

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I installed the UltraTerrains last year and like them, no complaints, I also had KO2s and liked those as well.
Do you happen to know if they share the same 50k mileage warranty as the Duratracs? I assume you've had some winter time w/ them, interested mainly in how they do in wet & freezing conditions.

Sponsored

Craigzjeep

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting Gray
Occupation
Telco Installer, retired. Current job drinking beer and yard work expert.
Do you happen to know if they share the same 50k mileage warranty as the Duratracs? I assume you've had some winter time w/ them, interested mainly in how they do in wet & freezing conditions.
Discount tire does not warranty the Ultraterrains for a set milage.
I have had lots of miles in the rain and snow up around the Mt Rainier roads with no slipping.

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
@CarbonSteel has some Kanati Trail Hogs which are 3 peak snow rated and look to have a similar tread, and about $100 less than the Ultra Terrain so looking at them too depending on my budget 12k miles from now :)
https://www.greenballtires.com/brands/kanati/trail-hog-at
@blnewt - I pulled the trigger on the Kanati's. Priority Tire has a small discount with free shipping on them, so it was $1,040 for 5 to the door. They receive good reviews on multiple sites so I am expecting them to be as good or better than the Falkens they will replace.
Sponsored