JLstubie

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
I’ve searched some and it seems to be all over. I have a 2018 JLUR 2.0 and am curious how often the diff fluid should be changed? I also have a 2012 Power Wagon and change the diff fluid in it every 25k miles. Curious if I should just keep it similar or longer?
Thanks
Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
I’ve searched some and it seems to be all over. I have a 2018 JLUR 2.0 and am curious how often the diff fluid should be changed? I also have a 2012 Power Wagon and change the diff fluid in it every 25k miles. Curious if I should just keep it similar or longer?
Thanks
If you don't tow, you could probably get away with 100k. My Ford Transit didn't get changed until 140k. Manual recommends 150. I normally would NEVER do that, but I don't drive it much and it slipped my mind until I had to do some other things. The ring/pinion teeth looked great. The fluid did not look so good. The other reason is that unlike my Jeeps, the cover has to be removed to drain it. I hate that.
Since the Jeeps have a simple drain/fill process, I am doing mine every 25k to 40k, which is really overkill. I think the longest I went in my JK was probably 70k. The gear lube came out looking very good. But it is cheap and easy to do, so why not? But I don't think you'd hurt anything leaving it in there as long as Jeep recommends, either.

I do recommend full synthetic. I have the tow package and occasionally tow a small boat or trailer, so I go 75w140 in the rear and 75w90 in the front, as per Jeep's recommendation. If you don't tow, you could run 75w90 in the rear. Amsoil makes a 75w110, I think. That might be a good compromise if you aren't sure which way to go. But a high quality full synthetic 75w90 would probably handle anything you threw at it.