Sponsored

Diff Cover Experts Weigh In

Original_Junior

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JKURXR
What is everyone's thought on the AFE covers? I was looking at them since they have a built in drain plug that my '22 doesn't have. And yes, I could pull the covers every change but found I wasted a lot of time and effort when I did that with the JK. Plus, the risk of snapping a bolt installing and removing them. Been there and it wasn't fun. I just don't wheel in the slop, not hard enough, to pull covers every 15k. Not to mention dealing with seepage.
Sponsored

Atom631

First Name
Atom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
I bought Rough Country diff skids in a pinch before a wheelin trip. I wasnt expecting much but I have to say, they have done the job just fine. They’ve taken a few shots and havent budged. They protect the diff cover enough that I dont see the need for aftermarket covers.

Front:
Jeep Wrangler JL Diff Cover Experts Weigh In 5AC973AE-C9BD-4CF9-AA14-9F9064BBE43D
Jeep Wrangler JL Diff Cover Experts Weigh In 32BF95E5-A99F-4C62-99AF-62CD67E78599

Rear:
Jeep Wrangler JL Diff Cover Experts Weigh In 838B0BA1-B999-482B-800A-214E66D82734
Jeep Wrangler JL Diff Cover Experts Weigh In 45F4E716-21E3-482D-A449-592FF5D1660D

DwnSth

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 TJ : 2021 JLURD
I ordered next venture diff covers and matching skid plates. To be honest I have no clue if it’s a good choice or not. I’ll be doing the replacement myself soon, never done one and am kind of terrified lol
Have you installed yet? I had a bad rear skid and front cover welds were in the way of the front skid. All redone and good to go but took a few months to get all back. Like the Next Venture covers and skids (also have the full belly skids with UHM). Has done great off road but honestly have not hit anything substantial yet.

Caliguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Rubicon JLU
Have you installed yet? I had a bad rear skid and front cover welds were in the way of the front skid. All redone and good to go but took a few months to get all back. Like the Next Venture covers and skids (also have the full belly skids with UHM). Has done great off road but honestly have not hit anything substantial yet.
Not yet. They make each to order and I only just received the rear skid so far . Won’t install until the rear diff cover comes in

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLUR; 2016 Ram Powerwagon
Vehicle Showcase
I bought Rough Country diff skids in a pinch before a wheelin trip. I wasnt expecting much but I have to say, they have done the job just fine. They’ve taken a few shots and havent budged. They protect the diff cover enough that I dont see the need for aftermarket covers.

Front:
Jeep Wrangler JL Diff Cover Experts Weigh In 45F4E716-21E3-482D-A449-592FF5D1660D

Rear:
People love to trash RC but they make some good stuff took all those hits like a champ...

Sponsored

Poordad

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Acura TSX, 2015 Chrysler 300s, 2023 JLUR
I had Riddler diff covers on my JK. I painted them red. It made them stronger.

Jeep Wrangler JL Diff Cover Experts Weigh In 199191_10150153208422426_6838796_n

c20040215

First Name
Leon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S; 2023 Honda Civic Sport Touring
Vehicle Showcase
People love to trash RC but they make some good stuff took all those hits like a champ...
When it comes to skid plates they are F-ing awesome for what you pay for. I have their front and rear diff skids, oil pan skid, transfer case skid, and rear control arm skids. I think I paid no more than $700 for all of them and they have not disappointed.
After my last trip, I took the diff skids off to clean out the mud that caked in between, spray painted them, and they are good to go for more beating. Still running the OE diff covers as RC skids do a decent job covering the lower 1/4 of the differ covers and bolts.

PXL_20220930_225238951.jpg

PXL_20220930_221328073.jpg

jhackathorne

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR
When it comes to skid plates they are F-ing awesome for what you pay for. I have their front and rear diff skids, oil pan skid, transfer case skid, and rear control arm skids. I think I paid no more than $700 for all of them and they have not disappointed.
After my last trip, I took the diff skids off to clean out the mud that caked in between, spray painted them, and they are good to go for more beating. Still running the OE diff covers as RC skids do a decent job covering the lower 1/4 of the differ covers and bolts.

Jeep Wrangler JL Diff Cover Experts Weigh In PXL_20220930_221328073

Jeep Wrangler JL Diff Cover Experts Weigh In PXL_20220930_221328073
Right on. I can’t understand why some people are paying literally hundreds more for some brands for something that is mainly the same item. Sure thickness and design are slightly varied, but I can’t justify spending that much more for the same protection.

CaJLMetalHead

First Name
CAJLMetalHead
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport Unlimited
This is what I have in the front.. and I think it is the best bang for your buck.. why?.. for that price you get a beefy cover and a beefy skid... and I think is a better design .. details below:

https://www.amazon.com/Metalcloak-Differential-Compatible-2018-2020-Protection/dp/B091MJ6GD8

Jeep Wrangler JL Diff Cover Experts Weigh In 1670545485172

With this design shown below, when you land hard on the skid plate the brunt of the force is absorbed by the four bolts securing the skid plate.

Jeep Wrangler JL Diff Cover Experts Weigh In 1670546133018

With the Metalcloak, the brunt of the force goes to 3 beefy bolts that are anchored
to mounts separate from the diff cover bolts, consequenly this force is absorbed
by the beefy cover made of Ductile Cast Iron... and in turn the force is evenly distributed
throughtout all 12 bolts securing the diff cover to the diff housing.. just my 2 cents...

I also have the rear diff cover made by Metalcloak.. It is very strong, I just wish
it had the same design as the front diff cover..

Sponsored

c20040215

First Name
Leon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
This is what I have in the front.. and I think it is the best bang for your buck.. why?.. for that price you get a beefy cover and a beefy skid... and I think is a better design .. details below:

https://www.amazon.com/Metalcloak-Differential-Compatible-2018-2020-Protection/dp/B091MJ6GD8

1670545485172.png

With this design shown below, when you land hard on the skid plate the brunt of the force is absorbed by the four bolts securing the skid plate.

1670546133018.png

With the Metalcloak, the brunt of the force goes to 3 beefy bolts that are anchored
to mounts separate from the diff cover bolts, consequenly this force is absorbed
by the beefy cover made of Ductile Cast Iron... and in turn the force is evenly distributed
throughtout all 12 bolts securing the diff cover to the diff housing.. just my 2 cents...

I also have the rear diff cover made by Metalcloak.. It is very strong, I just wish
it had the same design as the front diff cover..
Well, you can argue what you have is better, but the design of the RC skid does not rely on 4 diff cover bolts to take on all impact force. It is just not.

And there are 4 other reasons I ruled out MC (none of them is strength related). 1, it interferes with my RK track bar relocation bracket. 2, it doesn't provide protection on pinion yoke. 3, I personally hate the color. 4, I don't like the fact MC forces you to use their front diff cover to be able to run their front skid. I don't need a fancy diff cover.

Atthe end of the day, if what you have works out for you, that's great. Nothing against any other products. I personally don't want to spend that much on some sacrificial parts. By no means am I saying RC is the best, because it is not. lol nor do i think paying premium on skid plates is stupid. All I am saying is If I can pay 50% of the price and get 90% of the protection. I am good.

Skid plates to me is like insurance. I don't change the way I wheel because I have the most expensive skid plates that covers everything. Just like I won't change the way I live my life weather my life insurance is $50,000 or $50,000,000.

snapper692

First Name
Toby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (JLU)
Sorry for the highjack here.....but does anyone know of any diff skids that work with the Yukon covers? :)

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLUR; 2016 Ram Powerwagon
Vehicle Showcase
I know the metalcloak 'bolt on' style for rear works with ARB covers so it should work with the yukon.
Jeep Wrangler JL Diff Cover Experts Weigh In 1670552301790

c20040215

First Name
Leon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I'll use Banks' own video against him. He goes on and on about how flat back covers introduce more aeration into the oil which subsequently creates additional heat. In the video below that I posted, look at the amount of aeration that's occurring under that clear cover that's an exact replica of a factory cover. Do you actually think that a flat back cover has the ability to introduce more aeration? You have to remember these are two gears turning at 90° to one another and introduce incredible shearing forces. The motion is going to aerate and heat the oil under the best of conditions.

I've said it many times before, had Banks not created a brand new cover and used these videos as a marketing tool and IF he had a third party substantiate and objectively prove his claims, I'd be much more inclined to believe him.

I ran a Mag HyTech cover on my 2010 Ford FX4 and towed 8 to 9000 lb for 45% of the 160,000 mi that I owned it and never had a single issue. I replaced that truck with an F250 Powerstroke and did the same thing with no issues. Dodge axles from AAM were known to have issues--flat back cover or not.

Marketing at its finest...

Start at about 3 minutes into the video:

I know this is an old comment and I am no expert on gear or differential. And I have no need for anything other than oe diff cover, but this is what have found interesting. I have seen this video way back and I think he has a point. Whether their products do what he claims, or a little less areation and more oil flow to the pinion really makes any difference in the long run, I do not know.

If you look at all the diff covers for jeep in the market, there are only two designs: cast iron style and sheet metal welded style.

Dana, ARB, Yukon, Currie, dynatrac, G2, and even Teraflex all have the same design.
Jeep Wrangler JL Diff Cover Experts Weigh In ?hash=b8ab9dd68d4284c34a77063bada195d7

Jeep Wrangler JL Diff Cover Experts Weigh In s-l400
Jeep Wrangler JL Diff Cover Experts Weigh In 70866
Jeep Wrangler JL Diff Cover Experts Weigh In pdint_2_image_76119.15721199022680
Jeep Wrangler JL Diff Cover Experts Weigh In 41hXWF67HoL._AC_SY580_DpWeblab_

These companies design keep the curvature and shape close to the OE cover. These companies that make it this way are either in the axle or gear business and I would tend to believe they keep their diff cover they way they are for a reason.. more fluid flow makes sense to me.

And you look at other "fabrication shops" that use a sheet of metal bend and weld a diff cover together like this where it has more flat surfaces and sharp angles..

Jeep Wrangler JL Diff Cover Experts Weigh In r1270-main

Again, I don't know if that means anything just something I noticed.
If I were in the market for diff covers, I would tend to believe those axle and gear companies know a thing or two on making the "right" covers and stay with those brands.

I have no other proofs to prove my theory, nor am I saying one is better than other.
Just something to consider.

sdh-10023534_xl.jpg

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
I know this is an old comment and I am no expert on gear or differential. And I have no need for anything other than oe diff cover, but this is what have found interesting. I have seen this video way back and I think he has a point. Whether their products do what he claims, or a little less areation and more oil flow to the pinion really makes any difference in the long run, I do not know.

If you look at all the diff covers for jeep in the market, there are only two designs: cast iron style and sheet metal welded style.

Dana, ARB, Yukon, Currie, dynatrac, G2, and even Teraflex all have the same design.
?hash=b8ab9dd68d4284c34a77063bada195d7.jpg

s-l400.jpg
70866.jpg
pdint_2_image_76119.15721199022680.jpg
41hXWF67HoL._AC_SY580_DpWeblab_.jpg

These companies design keep the curvature and shape close to the OE cover. These companies that make it this way are either in the axle or gear business and I would tend to believe they keep their diff cover they way they are for a reason.. more fluid flow makes sense to me.

And you look at other "fabrication shops" that use a sheet of metal bend and weld a diff cover together like this where it has more flat surfaces and sharp angles..

r1270-main.jpg

Again, I don't know if that means anything just something I noticed.
If I were in the market for diff covers, I would tend to believe those axle and gear companies know a thing or two on making the "right" covers and stay with those brands.

I have no other proofs to prove my theory, nor am I saying one is better than other.
Just something to consider.

sdh-10023534_xl.jpg
Except from an anecdotal point of view, where are all of the failed axles due to aftermarket covers? There are enough people here on the forum using non-curved covers that if this were really an issue given the temperatures and reduced oil capacity of D44 Advanteks running large tires, we would see multiple failures. Except we don't and even the welded covers have a "wedge" behind the ring gear.

I do not see how cover design can reduce flow as long as the oil levels are at least as high as the OEM levels. Banks' premise is that the curve keeps the oil running over the ring gear and increasing the gap reduces the flow. I would like to know how that is possible since the ring gear is going to ferry oil to the pinion no matter what shape the cover may be as it is the "oil pump" in a splash type system.

Banks did a great job of marketing--too bad there are no ASTM methods to compare his results against other covers.
Sponsored