Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Pain Train), 2022 2500 AT4
Occupation
Avi Engineer
Good evening everyone.

Here is a DIY guide to repair your Diff Breather Tube if (when) it breaks off.

This is bound to happen to everyone eventually. The material DANA uses for the factory breather tube is very brittle. If you bend this, it will likely not bend back and will crack as mine did. In fact, mine broke right off.

Jeep Wrangler JL Diff Breather Tube Repair - DANA 44 Front Axle IMG_1483

The factory breather tube is also pressed in. I called DANA and asked if I could buy only this piece and they said no.

Tools Required:
  • Drill
  • Magnet
  • 11/32" Drill Bit
  • 3/8" Drill Bit
  • 13/32" Drill Bit
  • 7/16" Drill Bit
  • 37/64" Drill Bit
  • 3/8" - 18 NPT Tap
  • Socket to fit the Tap you have
  • Chisel
  • Small, flat top punch
  • Hammer
  • Needle Nose
  • 3/8 Drive 10mm
  • 3/8 Drive Ratchet
  • 3/8 Drive 6" Extension
  • Shop Towel or Microfiber cloth
Parts Required:
  • Your preferred 3/8" NPT fitting. There are many, many types of brass NPT fittings available.
  • Your preferred angled adapter that matches the NPT fitting you chose and matches your preferred method of connected the breather hose. There are also many options for this, as well.
  • Teflon Tape
  • WD40

I'm sure there are many ways to fix this issue, but this is a simple way to really improve the overall reliability of this often overlooked part of the differential. Here's the step by step process to repair this issue:

• Using a 10mm socket, remove the bolt for the locker wiring feed-thru.

• Push on the red clip and press down to remove the feed-thru connector.
Jeep Wrangler JL Diff Breather Tube Repair - DANA 44 Front Axle IMG_1485

• With the locker harness hanging outside the housing, push a shop towel or rag into the hole far enough to where you can see it through the breather tube hole.
Jeep Wrangler JL Diff Breather Tube Repair - DANA 44 Front Axle IMG_1487

• Using a needle nose, finish breaking the tube off until you're left with a nub on the pressed in portion of the fitting.

• We're going to cut the inside of the breather tube out slowly with drill bits and go up in size until the wall of the breather tube is thin enough to break off.

• Drill the breather tube out incrementally using these drill bits: 11/32", 3/8", 13/32", 7/16". Make sure to use your magnet to clean up all of the shavings after each one.
Jeep Wrangler JL Diff Breather Tube Repair - DANA 44 Front Axle IMG_1489

• Once you've finished with the 7/16" drill bit hole, use your chisel and hammer and hit the top portion of the tube and it should break off. Break off all of the top pieces and you should be left with the portion inside the hole.
Jeep Wrangler JL Diff Breather Tube Repair - DANA 44 Front Axle IMG_1491

Jeep Wrangler JL Diff Breather Tube Repair - DANA 44 Front Axle IMG_1492

• Using your flat top punch, tap very lightly on the portion left inside the hole. You should be tapping this piece into the rag on the inside. Once the piece has been pushed out, use your needle nose to pull it back out of the hole. It will likely break into at least two pieces.
Jeep Wrangler JL Diff Breather Tube Repair - DANA 44 Front Axle IMG_1493

• Use your magnet to clean up the shavings and pieces of the factory breather tube the best you can.
  • Using your 37/64" Drill bit, drill the leftover hole in the housing out.
  • Use your magnet again to clean up.
  • Grab your 3/8" NPT Tap and spray it with WD40.
Jeep Wrangler JL Diff Breather Tube Repair - DANA 44 Front Axle IMG_1500

• Line up the tap with the hole as straight as you can.
  • While applying pressure downwards, turn your tap and begin to cut threads. You will need your ratchet and a socket that fits on the end of the tap to do this. The L/H UCA bushing will be in the way of using your traditional tap handle.
  • Cut threads slowly and carefully. If the tap gets too full of metal, back out the tap 1/2 turn, and then continue.
  • Make sure to cut the threads deep enough. I usually go about 3/4 the way down the tap and then check to see if the fitting will catch the threads.
  • Once you have your threads cut, clean up everything the best you can.
  • Pull the rag out of the hole very slowly while trying to pull the top portion ,that got all the metal on it, out first.
  • After this, you're done. Apply teflon tape and screw in your fittings.
  • Reinstall the feed-thru connector.
  • Buy some Chick-Fil-A for dinner. You deserve it.
Jeep Wrangler JL Diff Breather Tube Repair - DANA 44 Front Axle IMG_1498

Jeep Wrangler JL Diff Breather Tube Repair - DANA 44 Front Axle IMG_1497

Jeep Wrangler JL Diff Breather Tube Repair - DANA 44 Front Axle IMG_1499

Jeep Wrangler JL Diff Breather Tube Repair - DANA 44 Front Axle IMG_1501
Sponsored

jeep_gpeck

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Sport S
Thank you for this post! I get to utilize this information soon! Gathering supplies to fix my breather. now just to locate those npt fittings.

OP
OP
chevymitchell

chevymitchell

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Avi Engineer
Thank you for this post! I get to utilize this information soon! Gathering supplies to fix my breather. now just to locate those npt fittings.
I found all these fittings at ACE Hardware. They actually had a really awesome selection of fittings... a lot more than Lowe's had here locally.

Sponsored

Extremneon

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited
Dang... I just broke my while loosing the upper control arm. So these are not thread and pressed in by Dana?

68398729AA
Jeep Wrangler JL Diff Breather Tube Repair - DANA 44 Front Axle Screenshot_20210327-174745_Samsung Internet
Jeep Wrangler JL Diff Breather Tube Repair - DANA 44 Front Axle Screenshot_20210327-174806_Samsung Internet

I guess I will be taping the axle housing.. ugh...

Thank you for the write up, just order up some new drill bits and 3/8 - 18npt tap.

Last edited:
OP
OP
chevymitchell

chevymitchell

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Avi Engineer
Dang... I just broke my while loosing the upper control arm. So these are not thread and pressed in by Dana?

68398729AA
Screenshot_20210327-174745_Samsung Internet.jpg
Screenshot_20210327-174806_Samsung Internet.jpg

I guess I will be taping the axle housing.. ugh...

Thank you for the write up, just order up some new drill bits and 3/8 - 18npt tap.
If you can get yours to unscrew, then you'll be golden. I could not get mine to move without breaking the fitting even more. Decided to just drill it out and upgrade.

PS: I did call Dana before doing anything and they explained to me that it's pressed in.

SteveSRT

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Denali, 2021 392 Rubicon
Thanks for making this thread. I don’t even know what I did to break mine but you saved me a ton of time mentioning it’s pressed in and not threaded.

Mikester86

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLR
Was the axle removed from the Jeep for this repair? If not, what parts were removed to allow enough access to perfom the repair?

OP
OP
chevymitchell

chevymitchell

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Avi Engineer
Was the axle removed from the Jeep for this repair? If not, what parts were removed to allow enough access to perfom the repair?
I had the axle out, but if you had the right drill, you could make it work.

I would drop the axle as if you were swapping springs, and have a few things out of the way like the Trackbar and maybe that upper control arm. It wouldn’t be too bad with the right tooling.

If you wanted to ensure a straight hole and that you don’t break the tap or get shavings into the housing, then take the axle out. It’s only an hour or two more work.

Sponsored

Mikester86

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLR
I had the axle out, but if you had the right drill, you could make it work.

I would drop the axle as if you were swapping springs, and have a few things out of the way like the Trackbar and maybe that upper control arm. It wouldn’t be too bad with the right tooling.

If you wanted to ensure a straight hole and that you don’t break the tap or get shavings into the housing, then take the axle out. It’s only an hour or two more work.
Thank you. I have less than 20,000 miles on my Jeep. I scheduled a service appointment. I am interested in how/if they will handle this.

I have a Rancho 2" sport lift and 35" tires on our JLUR. I am anticipating them blaming it on those factors, even though there is more than enough slack in the breather hose to function flexed out.

OP
OP
chevymitchell

chevymitchell

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Avi Engineer
Thank you. I have less than 20,000 miles on my Jeep. I scheduled a service appointment. I am interested in how/if they will handle this.

I have a Rancho 2" sport lift and 35" tires on our JLUR. I am anticipating them blaming it on those factors, even though there is more than enough slack in the breather hose to function flexed out.
I'm also curious how a dealer is going to handle it since it's pressed in from the factory... please update the thread when you get some feedback. That would be a good loop to close if people don't want to repair this themselves.

Thanks man.

Mikester86

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLR
I'm also curious how a dealer is going to handle it since it's pressed in from the factory... please update the thread when you get some feedback. That would be a good loop to close if people don't want to repair this themselves.

Thanks man.
I will, appointment is for Friday July 9th. My hope is this isnt the first one, and that they have a game plan.

I am anticipating a phone call from the Service Advisor once he reads my comments regarding the issue. The dealership I typically deal with is booked up for weeks. But this dealership replaced the leaking front crank shaft seal a while back, and its been solid ever since. Fingers crossed on this one.

OP
OP
chevymitchell

chevymitchell

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Avi Engineer
If anyone has any ideas on a temporary fix so I can drive it, I am all ears. Thanks.
You can drive it like it is. Just don't submerge the axle in water. It'll be good to go.
Sponsored