MrSir

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited
Update: June 2
Test drobe the 2020 JLUD with 37,000km. First impressions on start up was it sounded like a diesel, but quieter tha. I expected. It has very smooth acceleration. Suspension seemed softer. The torque was definitely present on the parkway. Effortless overtaking vehicles. Could hear the turbo charger and what I thought was like a sputter accelerating from stops at intersections. Just assumed diesel engines will emit different sounds vs the gasser.
virtually same features as my jl but this comes with keyless entry and trailer hitch package and of course the engine. Otherwise options are same.
Sponsored

MidwestJeeper

First Name
Vic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Sarge JLU Willys 2.0T
Occupation
Engineer
Test drobe the 2020 JLUD with 37,000km. First impressions on start up was it sounded like a diesel, but quieter tha. I expected. It has very smooth acceleration. Suspension seemed softer. The torque was definitely present on the parkway. Effortless overtaking vehicles. Could hear the turbo charger and what I thought was like a sputter accelerating from stops at intersections. Just assumed diesel engines will emit different sounds vs the gasser.
virtually same features as my jl but this comes with keyless entry and trailer hitch package and of course the engine. Otherwise options are same.
i assume you drove to the test drive in your gas JL.

How did you like the A-B-A comparison of the two Jeeps? A being your gas Jeep and B, the one you test drove?

OP
OP

MrSir

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Noticeably different and the edge goes to the diesel. Very smooth acceleration
Someone did mention there was subtle nose dive in the diesel and my experience matched that observation.
there is a difference in ride dynamics and not just engine, but I’m thinking without any real proof suspension.

OP
OP

MrSir

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Anyone else with the diesel have soot under the hood ?

henry

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUD Firecracker Red
No soot ever. As mentioned earlier I at 52,000 miles

Sponsored

Mperk8

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Tuscadero, 2022 JL sport
Add me to the diesel bandwagon, have a 3.6 and a diesel. The diesel makes the 3.6 seem like it's got the flu

RubiBlueJLU

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Diesel
Occupation
Structural Technician
Test drobe the 2020 JLUD with 37,000km. First impressions on start up was it sounded like a diesel, but quieter tha. I expected. It has very smooth acceleration. Suspension seemed softer......
My take on the "softer" suspension is the extra weight of the engine. It is 400? lbs heavier. The spring are resized for that weight. That extra weight does affect the ride. I actually think is helps the handling. Better road manners in my opinion. (2021 JLURD)

I had a winch on the front of my 2001 TJ. Mounted on a Harbor Freight winch plate on the factory bumper. Jeep handled pretty well, being what it was. I removed the winch and plate before I sold it, and the handling change drastically. It got "looser" feeling on the road.

zouch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ, JLUWD
Good point. Fortunately (unfortunately?) we prefer to steer clear of the places where trucks tend to travel.
upside is that with the increased range of the EcoD, we don't need fuel as often. ;-)

Anyone else with the diesel have soot under the hood ?
absolutely not.
why, have you seen soot under a hood?

Antonio

First Name
Antonio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU Rubicon diesel
I’ve owned a 3.6 JKU from 16’ till 22 when I got the JLU eco diesel, to me this was my go to option from day one, I knew I wanted it so it didn’t have to come down to a comparison with test driving etc! One thing I can honestly say having had both option gas vs diesel, what you might feel a bit of lag from the turbo with the 3.0 it makes up for it with its torque, jeeps aren’t known for speed but with some of the new tunes available on the market now this engine can really impress! You don’t buy this engine in a jeep for MPG or cause of efficiency etc, you buy it cause this thing can literally pull a house off its foundation, and when off-roading it really shows and shines it’s true colors 😊😊😊

Red Willy

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Beach High Tide, 2021 2 dr. Willys stick
Occupation
Professional Nobody
Traded my '14 JKU for a '20 JLURD after one test drive. Absolutely loved the sound, torque, and mileage with it. After a year and a half of ownership, I ended up trading it in. Off road, the weight really showed up when in soft sand. That and the possible problems looming with the diesel emission add on's, higher diesel fuel prices and maintenance costs, I decided to go back to gas. I agree the torque is addictive, but she's a heavy girl with a high maintenance cost. I would recommend if you do get one to add a pedal commander or some kind of throttle controller. Helps with the initial throttle lag.

Sponsored

Stellar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLURD; '20 Denali 3500; Hummer H2; Huracan
IMO the diesel is the way to go. It turned my Baja Pro XS 40s like there were nothing while stock, now that it's tuned with the Derringer it's pretty incredible. I currently also own a JL 4XE and I really like that power option as well, however sold my Gladiator with the 3.6 as I will be replacing that with another diesel before long..

Beungood

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Silverado Duramax, 2001 Toyota 4Runner 95 Harley Davidson
I had one and loved it. The only time I was like hm... I wish I had gas was a crazy snow storm. I was pretty much crawling on the highway it was -35 and the engine temp just kept dipping. Nothing ever happened, it was hours like that. It just gave me another thing I was a little worried about. Either then that, I would do it again. Insane power, awesome mileage, not loud, and doesn't smell like a diesel. There is a recall on the fuel pump. I bought it before that knowing it had "issues," still worth it.
What type of fuel pump are they replacing it with?

NickJar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 RD
What type of fuel pump are they replacing it with?
no one knows yet. The rumours here is they probably won’t replace it with anything and just replace and clean broken parts. However, that’s a guess and no one knows

NickJar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 RD
IMO the diesel is the way to go. It turned my Baja Pro XS 40s like there were nothing while stock, now that it's tuned with the Derringer it's pretty incredible. I currently also own a JL 4XE and I really like that power option as well, however sold my Gladiator with the 3.6 as I will be replacing that with another diesel before long..
What are your thoughts about the diesel vs 4XE?

Beungood

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Silverado Duramax, 2001 Toyota 4Runner 95 Harley Davidson
My first Jeep was a 2017 JKU. Put 93,000 kms on it. ZERO issues. Great experience. The 2020 JLU had a lot of features I’m interested in prompting the move into it. IMO they tried to push them out too fast affecting quality. No vehicle should have to spend as much time in service bays and body shops like my JL has.
Better off finding a decent JK then?
Sponsored